1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Where were you on 9/11 when the planes hit the Twin Towers?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by fshram76, Sep 11, 2011.

1. fshram76

fshram76 Loaded Pockets

I was on the trading floor of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange and it was a slow morning for the first 30 minutes or so and then all of a sudden my market went crazy. I looked at the News Ticker Board and we all saw the news on the first plane hitting. Then we got the news of the second plane and the market continued to get crazier. By then security started telling us to leave as they had learned of the Pentagon attack and felt we could be a target or the Sears Tower which was a cross the street from us.

I remember racing to get out and running to get to the train station and barely getting on a train. The train was packed and peoples' phones were going off like crazy relaying the news about the towers collapsing. I felt helpless and was nervous at the same time. There were so many unknowns and it was unsettling.

I hope you are all well and can spend a second today and remember all of those people we have lost on that 11th day of September.

2. mpi

mpi Loaded Pockets

just east of somerset PA.

3. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

Ten years ago, I was getting ready for school. I was 16... so I must have been a junior in high school. I lived across the street from my school. All I remember was that there were a lot of questions. The only class I remember was my first one. We all just sat there watching the news. A lot of people didn't come in that day.

There was so much confusion that day. I remember hearing that as many as 22,000 people might have been killed and thinking "Thank God it wasn't more". I remember later hearing how long it took to get fighters scrambled. I was angry and embarrassed about that. I remember being floored at the thought of every single plane being grounded over the entire US.

"One clear lesson of September 11 is that individual civilians need to take responsibility for maximizing the probability that they will survive, should disaster strike. Clearly, many building occupants in the World Trade Center did not take preparedness seriously. Individuals should know the exact location of every stairwell in their workplace. In addition, they should have access at all times to flashlights, which were deemed invaluable by some civilians who managed to evacuate the WTC on September 11."
    - page 318 of the 9/11 Commission Report Final Version

4. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

Headed to work, Park 10 off of I-10 Houston.
    I was on hold to speak to Pat Gray on that mornings topic, corporal punishment.
    I got to the office, had to hang up to get in the office. While on hold, I heard the reports of a plane hitting one of the towers. I thought nothing of it, too early, must be a commuter. Maybe a drunk pilot.

5. DrChimRichalds
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

DrChimRichalds Loaded Pockets

I was sitting in my 8th grade US History class...and boy was some US History made on that day...

6. thegadgetnut

thegadgetnut Loaded Pockets

I was in the hospital. My wife gave birth to our first child hours before the first plane hit. What a strange feeling it was to know we just brought a lovely baby into world where evil like that existed.

7. hafpit

hafpit Loaded Pockets

I was in my truck heading to my build material supplier near downtown San Francisco when the host of the local sports talk show announced that details about the plane hitting one of the Towers (?!) were coming in. It was not a small commuter plane as previously believed, but a passenger jet. I got my materials and drove home to pick up my son as more details were coming in. I phoned my wife and told her to stay home from work - she was working in one of SF's highrises at the time. I got home in time to see the second impact.

8. Nickortizzle1035

Nickortizzle1035 Loaded Pockets

i was freshmen in high school in 01. i was in my technology 9 class when the first plane hit. Our teacher, Mr. Tulley, had a small FM radio on his desk listening to the news reports. He started screaming an swearing at all of us who were getting a little loud because we were waiting around for the bell to ring so we could go to breakfast because he couldn't hear the radio. None of us knew what was unfolding. During breakfast most of us had started hearing rumors about what was happening. After breakfast I made my way to I.P.S., Introduction to physical Science. Our teacher, Ms. Albergo, broke the news to us. She was very shaken and crying when she told us. At that point the whole situation became very real to all us freshmen. She then took our class across the hall to one of the other teachers rooms which was already packed with students and faculty. We all huddled around an old TV with a poor antenna signal and watched as both towers Fell. i'll never forget that day. I felt very worried because I had a cousin who lived in NYC at the time and my moms boyfriend's whole Family also live in NYC. Thankfully the one person who worked in the towers made it out unscathed. That night we had a candle lit vigil in the park in the "village" of our town. I'll never forget that day.

just dug up some of the newspapers i have been saving
    [​IMG]

9. mrjam3s

mrjam3s Loaded Pockets

I was headed to Jury Duty...I remember all of us huddled around a small clock radio in the jury room trying to get more information. That was the only media allowed in there.

10. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

My wife is from Chile and we were in Santiago visiting her parents. One of our friends told us that a plane crashed into the Pentagon. We thought it was a joke because September 11, 1973, the same thing happened in Santiago. The US was involved in that one. Sad day for sure.

11. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

I was in my seventh grade reading class; all of the classes had the TVs turned on by the time the second plane was hit. After the second tower collapsed, the administration forced the school to turn off the televisions and to try to return to teaching. I don't remember if any of the classes actual continued teaching anything that day, however.

12. Rev. Chuck

Rev. Chuck Loaded Pockets

I was 22 at the time, I had just gotten to work, when I walk in the door, the store was deserted no cashier employees or customers, I thought we were being robbed, I got into the backroom and everyone was around the tv, after seeing all the evil and disregard for life, something moved inside me, next deay I joined the Marines.

13. cubegleamer

cubegleamer Loaded Pockets

I was in a band and on tour. We drove through DC early that morning. We were stuck on the side of I-95 with 2 flat tires. Air Force jets were screaming over us. I walked to the nearest gas station to get a tow truck and everyone inside was crowded around a TV. It was surreal. We didn't know what was going on and we were far from home (Miami).

14. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

When the first plane hit, I was on the train to Hoboken (just across the river). You could see the smoke out the train windows. My normal commute would have put me at the Hoboken Train Station from which there were two subway trains. One went underneath the Towers and the other went to 14th Street. Normally, I took the WTC one and my girlfriend took the 14th Street one. My normal commute would have put me under the WTC, up the escalators, across the street and into the building next to WT7. When we reached Hoboken, she took her subway train to 14th, and I tried to take the WTC one but they had already stopped service on it. So I grabbed the 14th street one and figured I would work my way downtown on the other side. My girlfriend was already at work, and her building had a pretty good view of the Towers. Everyone was standing by the windows and watching the events unfold. I got off the train at 14 Street and was still trying to make my way to work. Most people on the steet didn't have a good handle on exactly what was happening and how bad things were until they started cordoning off intersections and landing helicopters in them. I met some coworkers along the way and it soon became clear that no one was going any further South than 12th street or so.

I called my girlfriend and this was the first time she had confirmation that I didn't get on the subway shuttle from Hoboken to the WTC. I made arrangements to meet her at her office. Thre streets were full of people.... worse than any parade or sporting event. Shortly after I met my girlfriend, they shut down her building and started sending people home. Shortly after that they started closing all business, restaurants, movie theaters.... everything. In a very short time a majority of the daytime population of was not only on the sidewalks but out in the streets in a SRO environment. Where you would normally have people leaving the city in cycles during the evening, everyone was trying to leave en masse with multiple avenues of egress shut down and multiple mass transit systems shut down. It took us something like 10+ hours to get home that day. Worked from home over a month, they the moved our office to a building next to the Brooklyn Bridge and Police Plaza.

Falling debris from the Towers and and WT7 has left larging gaping holes in our building and I heard that the American Express building was even worse off. The sent of burnt plastics hung in the air months and months later. You always returned home with a sore throat. There were tents on the roof of Police Plaza with snipers trading off shifts. Since the new location was adjacent to Police Plaza, we had to show photo id to even get into the area before showing id again at the front desk. There was a large dump truck full of sand that block the entrance to Police Plaza.... someone wanted to come in, the driver backed the truck up, let them in, and then moved the truck forward again. That was his job the entire day.... driving a truck full of sand back and forth for 10 or 12 feet. After a couple of weeks of this, the street underneath the truck buckled and needed to be repaired/strengthened. Police tactical squads, National Reserve in full tactical gear, people with face masks and a 100 other things became the norm.

Within a year, a majority of the company's contractors were let go.

It's hard to believe it's been 10 years.

ATB,
    Sam

15. JasonAre

JasonAre Banned

I know I have some brother Firefighter’s and EMT’s on here. So let me take this chance to say thank you for your service.

16. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

I think Ive mentioned this before, but I was working as a Sales Manager in a small TV/AV Store in Cheadle, Cheshire.
    We had a big table at the back of the store which was supposed to be for filling-out paperwork, finance agreements etc but most of the time was used (as it was on this day) for us all to crowd round while we ate our lunch & had brews.
    My boss looked over to the TV wall, which must have had maybe 50 or 60 TV sets of various sizes displayed on it & said "Whats that black smoke on the screen?", I replied "Its probably some afternoon-telly TV movie like The Towering Inferno or something" & wandered over to the display of tellys.

"Oh God. It says that a plane has crashed into the World Trade Centre, and Oh look its showing a "replay" of the crash, oh, hang on, OH GOD thats ANOTHER plane!!

Everyone rushed over to the TV & then we had a shop full ALL afternoon, NO sales, but lots of local residents & shopkeepers just glued to the screen.

I'll never forget that day, Nor should we.

17. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I was at home in St. Pete, Florida. I got a call about it, and was watching when the second plane hit. I went and got my boys at school. I didn't think anything was going to happen to them, but they are both the sensitive kind, and I wanted them to be at home so they could break down if they needed to without worrying about being made fun of.

18. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

At the time I worked in a Supermarket across the river in NJ alongside the Lincoln Tunnel Cut in North Bergen about 3 miles away from the Trade Center. Me and 2 guys I worked with had just sat down for our first break when a customer came over and told us about a plane crashing into the first tower, we got up from our break and went over to the front windows of the store and you could see the heavy black smoke just pouring out of the top of the tower. The one guy I worked with was from Pepsi and in the National Guard he was told to go home by his company he called me later that day to say he was assigned to Liberty State Park to unload trucks. Later on when I had gone home at 4 pm in what should be a very busy rush hour, there was noone around on the streets no cars or people. That had to be the strangest experience for me as I had never seen anything like that before in all my years of liviing there. That is something I will never forget seeing the streets abandoned the way they were.

19. Max Archer

Max Archer Loaded Pockets

I was a high school sophomore at the time, and the semester had just started. The previous weekend, I had been in NYC, at the towers, but hadn't gone up them.

Right around the time I was about to leave for school, we got a call from somebody, maybe my grandmother in NJ, telling us to turn on the TV, and we watched the replay of the first crash, and then saw the second one live. I was about an hour late to school, and didn't even know if anybody else would know what was happening when I got there, but there was a TV on in the classroom and everybody was watching.

We spent the whole day speculating about what had happened. I remember that at the time, there was a lot of doubt about whether it was actually Bin Laden.

20. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

I had gotten off work at 7:30 that morning, so I was asleep when it happened. Needless to say, I was in shock when I found out that afternoon. I work for a contractor at a Federal site. Security was strict when it reopened two days later. Mirrors checking under cars, and a 100 badge inspection before allowing entry.