1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Where to start looking?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Shur, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Shur
    • In Omnia Paratus

Shur Loaded Pockets

I've been wearing a Casio PRG-80T for a little over 10 years now and while I really like the watch it is looking pretty beat up and doesn't hold a charge like it used to. And I like new things, and new shiny things.

I've looked at some of the newer models and have picked one that I like but I'd like some help finding some other options.

I'm looking for:
    Durable: Being scraped against metal edges and concrete shouldn't destroy the watch. A recessed glass would probably work best. This includes waterproofedness that would handle swimming/shallow diving.

Titanium: I get something similar to heat rash from plated metals and even stainless steel. (The heavy 'shoulders' of the pro trek seem to lift the case back away from my skin just enough to not cause problems)

Stop watch: used at work. Rarely but still useful.

Atomic time: I'd like to take my laziness one step further and eliminate those nasty button presses every half year. (Do these watches automatically do DST?)

Solar:I like that the watch stays sealed for long periods of time.

Bonus:
    Sunrise/Sunset: Sounds cool

Compass: very rarely gets used but of the ABC options I think I like it best.

Darn, Barometer too: I know I'm describing a typical ABC watch now, but I kind of like this feature. It hardly ever gets used but I still like it.

I don't need (and certainly don't want on my main screen at all times):
    Tide info
    Phase of the moon
    World time
    Hands (most digital/analogue mixes don't do it for me)

As far as I'm aware the only watches in this kind of class are made by Casio and Suunto. Am I wrong and missing out on something?

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Shur, Mar 26, 2014
  2. northwest

northwest EDC Junkie!!!

I was going to suggest a Suunto but you had that covered.

3. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Bump.

Shur likes this.
  4. fsdigital12

fsdigital12 Loaded Pockets

I hear mixed reviews of the Suunto's.....can't go wrong with a G-Shock.....can take a beating and don't' break the bank.

5. Cody_2ZZ

Cody_2ZZ Loaded Pockets

Well they may not fit your titanium requirement, but a higher-level G-Shock or maybe a Casio Pathfinder would be a good watch for you. Both can take a beating and keep on working. You can find good versions of both for under or around $200, too. I would start perusing Amazon and maybe video reviews on Youtube.

6. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

You should check out PRW3000T, which has a titanium bracelet, but a stainless steel case back.

If you are allergic to the nickel in stainless steel case back, Casio G-Shock Gulfman or Frogman series has titanium case back, but they only have resin case and strap, and no compass.

With the compass, the PRW3000 series, the cheaper PRG270 series (functionally the same as PRW3000 without the atomic feature), or the G-Shock Rangeman are very good choices.

Though some of the older Pathfinder like PRW2000, etc, can be worn with NATO or Zulu strap to available skin contact with the case back, but I would try to stay with the model that has the latest 3rd gen sensor.

I don't know if Tissot titanium T touch has full titanium case with case back or not.

7. Shur
    • In Omnia Paratus

Shur Loaded Pockets

I'll probably wait a while but if I was buying right now I think I'd get the PAW2000T-7

AK Adventurer likes this.