1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Where to get a Seiko Monster tuned up?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Balog, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Balog

Balog Loaded Pockets

A few years back my wife gave me a Seiko black monster as a birthday gift. I loved it, but even wearing it everyday and putting it on a winder at night it I'd still have to adjust the time every couple weeks. At the time I thought it was just how it was supposed to work and stopped wearing it, but I think it may have just needed a tuneup. I'd like to get it working properly so I can start wearing it again. Any recommendations on where to take it? I'm in the Seattle area but I'm fine with sending it off if needed.

2. Chris_1001

Chris_1001 Loaded Pockets

Its a mechanical watch. +/- a few seconds a day is normal. Even my high-end mechanical watch when it came back from service was "off"

I have a Monster as well.

both need to be adjusted now and then. My high end about once a week to fix it running a bit fast.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  3. mrsleeve

mrsleeve Loaded Pockets

Depending on what era monster you have the 7s26 can be a very accurate movement, as well as its more "refined" 4r36 derivative, both of which have come in the monsters. With both of them they are luck of the draw when it comes to factory accuracy, IIRC Seiko considers +/- 30 sec a day in spec, but many run with in Chronometer spec (+4 /-6 sec a day) or really close outta the box. I got a seiko SKX007 many years ago that runs -45 to 50 sec a month, and a far more expensive Seiko SARG with the 6r15 (also a derivative of the 7s26 but much more refined) that is -5 min a month.

If your looking for set it and forget it, accurate get a Casio that gets a time update at 2am from an atomic clock everyday, or get a Citizen that does the same thing. Or even a 15 dollar no name quarts from walmart is going to be accurate to less than a couple mins year. Mechanical watches are accurate given the fact that its all springs and gears under tension keeping the time, some are inherently more accurate than others not necessarily reflected by price...

All that being said sure you can pay a watchmaker to regulate your monster but is it really worth paying 250+ dollars to regulate a 195 dollar watch???? Now if your going to send it off for 3-5 year maintenance service or have it modded, or repaired due to strange or erratic operation, then paying to have it regulated at that point in time might be more worth while as it could be a little less expensive as an add on service.

Moshe ben David likes this.