1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Where to buy: stem/crown for Citizen NY2300

Discussion in 'Watches' started by aphex2k, Feb 26, 2015.

1. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

As title: anyone know somewhere I can buy one online that a) doesn't want to charge me stupid money (like, more than I paid for the watch) for the part and b) doesn't want me to bend over and accept $20+ for postage to Australia!?

I'm fairly sure that I can remove the snapped off stem, the crown is fine but I'm guessing it's a case of buying the crown already attached to the stem? Alternatively does anyone have an old NY2300 that's no longer working that might have the ability to split for the spare I need?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  2. CatsTide

CatsTide Loaded Pockets

It might be worth a call or email to Citizen. They are very receptive to sending out free links for bands. Don't know how they would do with actual watch parts but it might be worth a try. Another idea might be talking to a local jeweler to see if they could order one for you. A reputable jeweler might help a bloke out.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  3. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

The watchsmith that's local and advertised on the Citizen repairs page quoted me $50 AUD. The only other place in Perth that repairs watches (that I could find) said they would find out and ring me before ordering / carrying out the work. The first shop seemed surprised when I was so shocked at the price of the stem/crown "Well, these watches used to be $500" that might be true but I only paid $100 for it so seems ridiculous to spend half that cost on a little sliver of metal. The alternative is scrap it and move on.

So I'll wait and see what the other place quotes. I've seen tweaked Seiko's go for $120 on eBay so it might just mean I buy a new watch. Which totally sucks and I have no idea how I'll cope. (Waiting for the parcel to arrive and surreptitiously hiding it from SWMBO!)

4. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

Wow. Just wow. The second place just phoned me. Yadda yadda order the part in, 6-8 weeks, we'll fit the new part, check the seals and pressure test it..... $120. I nearly spat my tea out. Suffice to say I said no, seeing as you can buy the whole watch on eBay for $120.

*sigh*

Makes the $50 I was originally quoted at the other place seem actually reasonable!

5. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

where in perth did you try ?

the Citizen agent (Dayco) is in the city, trinity arcade from memory, and its a pain to find (hidden in a little office)

you could also try "all about time" in Balcatta (corner balcatta rd and wanneroo rd)

and there is a watch repair place on canning hwy in south perth, on the left if your heading towards the airport, somewhere between south tce and way rd - i can't remember the name, but i do remember seeing the sign - theres a KFC on the right nearby from memory