1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Where to buy a gun online? And a few other questions/concerns.

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by DemskeetSkeet, Jan 2, 2009.

1. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

Hello there! I am in Michigan and have been shopping around for a pistol and have not been satisfied with the prices near me. I have been looking around for a glock 30 which is a .45 caliber. I stopped by D&R Sports and they offered $599.99 with fixed sights. I go down the road to a gun and gun smithing store that has used and new pistols, shotguns, rifles, you name it and they were $20 more. I traveled for about 30-40 minutes to these places figuring I would get a decent deal on one but no one was willing to beat prices!!!

I went into a local shop about 15 minutes from my house that I had never been in and offered me one for $600.

I have watched videos on youtube, checked on numerous boards and have seen these sell for less than $500 brand new and even for $400 used.

Are there any places online that will be much cheaper including shipping? I would just need to have them ship it to a local FFL and they would do the back ground check, etc.?

Thanks

-Matt

2. gw812

gw812 Loaded Pockets

Re: Where to buy a gun online? And a few other questions/cpncerns.

Lookee at Gunbroker and also scoot down to the local bookstore or Wally World and get a Shotgun News. You'll find some leads there. Remember to figure out FIRST which local FFL dealer you will transfer it to. That'll take some logistics and organizing before the sale.
    Yeah, the only bargaining you'll be able to do is at a gun show. Local shops (even here in gun-friendly Texas) will not match prices and will often treat you as crazy for asking. Considering our current and pending political climate (and opinions thereof) even gun show haggling will go away.

3. DemskeetSkeet

I don't care for gunbroker but I do realize that I do need to figure out a FFL, and I just don't get people with their politics(not a shot at you) But for crying out loud there are sooo many other problems with this country and firearms shouldn't even be near the top of that list. I have been to a couple of gun shows but since I don't have a CCW or CPL how would I go about purchasing that glock 30? Would I need a purchase permit then go to the gun show? Or does the gun show work the same way as online buying would?

Thank you for your help.

-Matt

4. gw812

gw812 Loaded Pockets

I know, it can be frustrating depending on where you live. How to go about buying one is different depending on your state. Some are friendly towards it (gawd, I love Texas!) and looking at Michigan's statutes yours isn't. Here's what the Michigan State Police says you must do: clicky

Out of curiosity, are you considering this pistol for primarily a home defense use? If so you might think shotgun. It'll be more effective and it looks like those are easier to buy in your state. No matter which way you go guns are only going to get more expensive, so I'd strike soon.

Hope that helped!

5. gw812

gw812 Loaded Pockets

Oh, and on the online buy + ship vs. local buy question - my experience is that local buy at gun show or major retailer (Academy Sports, Bass Pro, etc) is the cheapest on new, with gun show cheapest on used. Gun shop is most expensive. YMMV.

6. DemskeetSkeet

hey thanks for all the help!!! I already have four shotguns' looking for a nice compact high caliber pistol for 2nd string of self defense(1st is my 1300 speed pump winchester 12g.) I do plan on getting my ccw later this year and would carry it when need be.

Thanks!!

7. Cobra Kai

Cobra Kai Empty Pockets

Check out www.summitgunbroker.com. This guy is local to me, and while I've never bought from him, he's very reputable and legit. He has a lot of used stuff, but he sells new Glocks, too. I think that he currently has a 30SF, though I don't know what his price is. You'd have to contact him for that info.

8. JBinTX

JBinTX Loaded Pockets

Also try Buds Gun Shop. I can't reach the site from my office, but if you google it you shouldn't have any problems. They do alot of online business and their prices are quoted as delivered,so you only have to add what your FFL is going to charge you.

9. DemskeetSkeet

Thanks guys! I''m still looking for a good deal on the g30, ridiculous prices locally here in Michigan.

10. Mitty

Mitty Loaded Pockets

http://collectorsfirearms.com/

This is an incredible store in Houston, not limited to collector items. Worth a visit if you are in the area. My hardball gun came from there. I saw it on a visit and bought it via the internet after I got home. Prices are not deeply discounted but you will be dealing with someone reliable.

This page http://collectorsfirearms.com/admin/aboutus.htm will begin to give you a sense of the place, but not the size.

11. jwalker497

jwalker497 Loaded Pockets

+1 on Buds. Great experience plus they have financing!

12. schadenfreude

schadenfreude Empty Pockets

Also heard good things about Buds. They're probably who I'll go with if the wife ever green-lights a gun in the home.

13. snidera

snidera Loaded Pockets

I'm not sure of the law in Michigan regarding purchases from Non-FFL holders - That's the 1st thing you need to figure out. Especially with the panic/stupidity going on, there's likely to be some deals to be had on nearly new guns when people realize they can afford them.

Any hand gun you buy from a LICENSED (federal) dealer will require the background check etc - gun show or not. State laws may be more or less restrictive. In Indiana, i can buy any gun from any person w/o hassle vs buying from a dealer. If you buy from a gun from out of state (dealer or otherwise) it will need to be transferred to you by a FFL holder in your state. Transfers are $20 for me and the shops i've used are happy to do them. If they have it in stock, i usually buy local if they're close in price, however. Remember, you're gonna need that FFL anyway, might want to keep him in business. For me, the best thing about the internet option is selection and lack of sales tax - the gov't gets enough of my money.

I haven't bought from Bud's, but been in their shop (my work main office is nearby, but i'm out of state). It's like a candy store.....and their prices are tough to beat. I wouldn't hesitate to buy there.

Right now, I'm not surprised at 550-600 for a new glock. It's a easily recognized name & those who don't know better will pay it.

14. Dynamik1

Dynamik1 Empty Pockets

I have bought from BudsGunShop.com and been very happy! Shipment was to my local gunshop who charged me $20 processing.
    It was well worth it!