1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Where is the perfect screwdriver?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Cogency, Nov 9, 2009.

1. jonny8642

jonny8642 Loaded Pockets

2. jester02k

jester02k Loaded Pockets

crescent makes a great 7 in one screwdriver one is always in my bag
    image link
    where to buyLink
    Jester02k

3. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

Like copierguy, I am a fan of the Picquic screwdrivers. Bits are hard to lose, and the tools is decent quality. I have 3 or 4 of the full size ones in different tool kits. The stubby little one is perfect for in the junk drawer in the kitchen so my wife doesn't have to search for mine!

4. Xerxes

Xerxes Loaded Pockets

I agree that screwdrivers are essential. I carry a Kamasa ratchet with seven standard hex bits (six held in a magazine); also another Kamasa driver with a magazine carrying nine micro bits, including torx. Both are a good size to fit my bag, and cover quite a lot of what I'm likely to meet. The smaller driver has a tiny LED built into it: a bit gimmicky and no use at all while you're using the actual tool itself, but I suppose it might come in handy one day.

However, I've yet to use them in anger so I can't say how strong they are. When I'm at home I prefer to use a proper screwdriver with a good handle, correct tip and no play: I prefer Wiha drivers for their excellent quality and sound ergonomics.

The consequences of damaging a screw through using the wrong bit or a wobbly handle can be quite bad. The stuff I have in my bag is a compromise, compact enough to fit the space but I hope adequate for those times when I'm caught without proper tools.

5. Xerxes

Xerxes Loaded Pockets

I have to take back that complaint: I've just realised that the LED is built in alongside the bit holder to illuminate the screw head. Not so stupid after all.

6. houdini28

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

I also have the Klein 11-in-1 Screwdriver and it is excellent. It has four bits (eight different tips) and three nut drivers (1/4, 3/8, 5/16). The bits can handle Phillips, flathead, Torx, and square/Robertson. The bits store in either end of the screwdriver shaft. If you need a bit you either reverse it, or you reverse the shaft to get at the other bits. It is very straight forward. The tool is comfortable to use and it is built to last. The only issue with it, is that there is no ratcheting feature on the driver. It's not a big deal to me, but I know a ratcheting driver is a very attractive feature. 98% of the time I use this screwdriver if I am near my tool box.

7. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Haven't heard anyone mention the Victorinox Cybertool. I think it meets all of your criteria and it is a nice compact little multitool that holds a couple standard bits in the body.

8. RAAG

RAAG Loaded Pockets

I find the Bit Dr. from Loggerhead Tools a nice compact package which is very versatile both as to the bits included as well as the adjustable angles at which you can use the handle. It includes a simple ratchet feature.

Bit Dr.

I like their wrenches also, but they aren't really EDC in size.

Dick

9. The Other

The Other Empty Pockets

An Interesting EDC Scewdrver Option - Not Perfect, but BRILLIANT!

I'd also say my Klein 11-in-1 is my 'Primary' multi-bit, but I have one that I got from Lee Valley Tools, that they just call "Pocket Screwdrivers", that I use more often than I ever thought I would!
    You have to see it to realize how simple and brilliant the design really is - One of those thing that will make you slap your head and say "Why didn't I think of that"! Small, simple, cheap, and definitely 'pocket-sized'!

Lee Valley Tools has a lot of other screwdrivers worth looking at, and a lot of really interesting thing for EDC and 'General Gadgetry', Including the famous Pocket Wrench II, which can also be used as a screwdriver!