1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Where is JonSidneyB???

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by JonSidneyB, Jun 26, 2009.

1. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Right now I am in Chariton Iowa. I am traveling on the cheap. I am hiking from Cedar Rapids Iowa to Ponca City Oklahoma.

I am trying to avoid large cities and interstates. My game plan is to take highway 34 West for awhile then start heading south. I am not sure the best route yet to take but I want to enter Oklahoma on highway 77. That will have me passing through Winfield and Ark City Kansas before entering Oklahoma.

Are there any EDCF members on this route?

SAKplumber likes this.
  2. brennan73

brennan73 Empty Pockets

If you were going through Stillwater I would try to hook up with you. Good luck.

3. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

You share a resemblance to Chris McCandless.
    Good luck, have fun. Come back.

4. moeman

moeman Loaded Pockets

Well it doesnt look like you will be anywhere near St Louis, or you could stay here...

5. hovaczech

hovaczech Loaded Pockets

I love the St Louis area, but your right might be a little out of the way! :lolhammer:

6. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I am at Creston Iowa right now. I found out Hardies has a wi-fi connection. The roads I have been on are pretty quite at night. It has been awhile since I have been in true quality dark. The sky is full of stars out here. Massive numbers of deer, racoons, some fox. I was told the next town will be about 45 miles down the road. I am working on a really good sun burn, ouch.

I will see if I have enough battery to pull photos off of my camera and post them.

I am not making as good of progress as I thought I would. With the pack I am carrying is quite heavy. I did pull off better than 100 miles on foot the first day. The shoes I have are not the best for this kind of walking.

I am gong to go see my dogs at the end of this trip. They are worth it.

7. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

[​IMG]
    The pack I am using is fairly old. It is a Dana Design Arcflex Astralplane. I used this pack on the AP trail. I did have other packs but I had to sell them long ago to make forum payments.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The roads out here have some lonely spells.

[​IMG]
    The scenery here is nice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The population density is lower I think than some of the members out here are used to.

At the end of this trip I am seeing my dogs. Then we will work on saving the forum while I do a massive job search. I have a feeling this is going to take longer than I anticipated.

swany66675 likes this.
  8. greyhound352

greyhound352 Loaded Pockets

I'm glad you will be seeing your dogs at the end of your voyage, dogs just have a wonderful effect on humans. if you we're near Florida I would do everything I could help you, Good Luck on your voyage.

9. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Thanks ;D I appreciate it.

I took this opportunity of having a wi-fi connection here and did some work on the forum. I am going to look over a google map and try and find the best way to get to highway 77 from here.

The next town is probably 10-12 hours walking to get to. It is starting to get dark, I will likely be sleeping a ways off the road tonight. I guess what I am saying is I don't know when I will be online again.

Most of the places I will be has a low population density so I am guessing I will not be getting close to any EDCF members. I think the walk down 77 is going to be the rough part of the trip. I do think there are a couple of members by 77 but can't remember who they are. On 77 I will be traversing Kansas from North to South in a low population density area.

Later all and thanks everyone.

10. Etowah Edge

Etowah Edge Loaded Pockets

In the words of the great philosopher Joe Dirt, "You gotta' keep on keeping on".
    Good luck to you on the job search. You have a lot of friends out there wishing you luck.

11. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

*wonders if he's the only one who thinks such a trek would be fun in itself* >.>;

I hope the trip goes well; I know your dogs will love seeing you again, JSB. If you were to find yourself in the western portion of NC I'd do my best to help, likewise.

12. moeman

moeman Loaded Pockets

Jon,
    I just want to say that i am impressed with what your doing. It takes b@lls to pick up and hike across multiple states.
    Please be careful and enjoy yourself. I hope you find what your looking for.

chris

13. Stormstaff

Stormstaff Loaded Pockets

Be careful Jon. You're in my prayers!

14. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

Good luck Jon I wish you luck with both the journey and the job search.
    This forum alone says how employable you are, it's a shame all the employers out there can't see it.
    Regards Chris

15. MattR

MattR Loaded Pockets

Travel in good health my friend, keep safe!

16. fishwolf

fishwolf Loaded Pockets

If you ever have to trek through good ole Arkansas, give me a shout. :luck:

17. SSL

SSL Loaded Pockets

im located in north central missouri, if you need any assistance, let me know, im free almost everyday. good luck and god speed!!

18. Cosmo7809

Cosmo7809 Loaded Pockets

If you ever get to NYC im here! :D :lolhammer: :D

Good luck and stay safe!

Chris

19. chris in mo

chris in mo Loaded Pockets

Good luck John. The trip reminds me a bit of the Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child. I hope you travel safe and have some time to reflect and catch a second wind along the way. Too bad you are not passing this way I would have gladly given you a ride for a portion of the journey.

If you read this along the trip and need some resupply please post it and i'm sure some of us could send some basic supplies to help with the trip to a location that you anticipate passing through. If you travel back in the same manner keep the resupply idea in mind as well.

20. TCW 60

TCW 60 Loaded Pockets

Travel safe and spent a nice time with your dogs.