1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Where do you buy your SAKs?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Kaux, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Kaux

Kaux Empty Pockets

Hi Guys.

Is there something like THE Swiss army knife store?

I am thinking of an online store that carries every model wenger and victorinox make, have great prices and let you customize your SAK with engraving or something.

If I had to choose one of the above, I want dirt cheap prices... :)

So, Where do you buy your SAKs?

2. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

If the forum sold them would you by them from it? Victorinox has MAP pricing now so the retail price on these will vary less as time goes by. A shop that does custom services is going to have to slow down regular operations so the price might be a little higher with those services in place.

3. afultz075

afultz075 Loaded Pockets

Aha, so that's why it seems SAK prices have gone up in price in the last few years.

4. Kaux

Kaux Empty Pockets

Sure, if price is not higher than every where else, I would happily support the forum. And Yes, I know custom work has an extra cost and also would be willing to pay for it if the forum does that.

:)

5. Kaux

Kaux Empty Pockets

Can you elaborate on that? How does it work?

6. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

I buy most of mine used. I've bought several from EDCF members and many from Tim at Felinevet.....http://felinevet.sosakonline.com Tim is a good source for hard to fine SAKs

7. StealthChaser13

StealthChaser13 Loaded Pockets

I buy mine from B/S/T's and ebay...

8. houdini28

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

I purchase most of mine through Tim as well. I typically buy the used knives because they are in good to great condition and the prices are very fair.

9. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Maybe not a good idea for me to invest in this one.

10. toasterburn

toasterburn Loaded Pockets

11. afultz075

afultz075 Loaded Pockets

I've been buying mine at the local flea market from a guy who sells TSA-confiscated pocket knives. Most of them are in great shape just in need of a sharpening. Bought a Super Tinker from him today for $10. Other than a rolled edge on the main blade most of the tools looked unused. Fixed the main blade in about 5-10 minutes and I have a perfectly functioning SAK. Beats paying $20 for it new.

12. bluesy_92

bluesy_92 Loaded Pockets

Minimum Advertised Pricing.

Basically, a low price damages the company image. Imagine if you had to choose between a 5$ and 15$ product, which do you assume has higher quality?

Because of this, some manufacturers set a certain price as the MAP. The retailers can sell for less, by law. But they CANNOT advertise for less. Ever see those amazon.com products that say "Price too Low to Show?" That's because of MAP pricing.

Ever notice how some products have the same street price among sellers, even if that same price is not the retail price? They can afford to sell for less, usually by high-number sales with a low profit-per-sale. Even though financially, they can undercut the competition, they would have to go below the MAP, so they choose not to.

Since this sets a "bar" on how low a price can go, it limits options, which is why they "vary less" as time goes on.

13. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

One of the things that happens is some companies have more active dealers. Lets say you have one dealer that actively finds new markets or spends time and money letting people know the products exists or reminds people that it exists. The time and effort can be expensive, then someone comes along and scoops up the customers. It is easy to go where the customers are already at. A bit harder to create them.

14. Kaux

Kaux Empty Pockets

Thanks a lot! Very interesting. I had always looked that MAP thing but didnt know what It meant.... Now I do :) Thanks again!

15. Kaux

Kaux Empty Pockets

I went to a local bookstore and they are selling SAKs! Isnt that cool? Here in my country You can buy knives where little children buy crayons and coloring books :)

And went to see the display, and they had a farmer with alox scales. I fell in love inmediatly... So I bought it! Best thing of all is that it had the same price that most us retailers. I usually buy my knives through USA websites, but of course it is easier if it is locally available.

God! The last SAK I Had was like 13 years ago... I had forgotten how beautifully finished and solidly built victorinox are.

After entering the "tactical folder" world, I have fallen in love again with Saks!

16. greymethod

greymethod Loaded Pockets

Amazon. Generally the lowest prices.

17. Andrews

Andrews Empty Pockets

My town has a store/knife museum called Red Hill Cutlery that can order any SAK you want directly from Vic, and also gives great discounts because they're a distributor. They've also got a couple limited editions and hard to find ones, such as the Heritage knife (for $400).

18. IamMatt

IamMatt Loaded Pockets

I bought a bunch from an eBay seller named gad-zooks as gifts to my son's bridging Cub Scout den. He has an online store with outdoor/camping/survival type stuff. The transaction got kinda screwed up (no fault of his) and he was super helpful getting it straightened out, and his prices and shipping were very good.