1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Where do you buy your CR123 primaries?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Omega Man, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Omega Man
    • In Omnia Paratus

Omega Man Loaded Pockets

Seems rechargeables are the way people are leaning, I’m not seeing a lot of deals for the primary cells. I have 4 AW RCR cells, but want some primaries too, like 25. I bought an Atom 4sevens headlamp kit when they were on sale and have it attached to my hard hat, I love it for the flood. But the runtime isn’t great on high.
    And I don’t have a way to carry a bunch of rechargeables. So I wanted to keep about 4 primary cells in my car and an RCR in the light that I could swap every month depending on use. Battery Just nation seems to have the best prices for large packs. Heck I just finished using some Illumicells from 2005(anyone remember that light/ and battery?? A competitor of the Nuwai Q3☺️ )

2. BigGreenTick

BigGreenTick Loaded Pockets

The best deal I know of are Titanium Innovations, $1 each at Battery Junction.

3. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

Battery Junction. I've never had an issue with the Titanium Innovations brand, but I've also stocked up on other brands like Panasonic and Surefire when they've been on sale (not that the every day prices are bad).

chaosmagnet and Omega Man like this.
  4. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I DID have an issue with the Titanium Innovations brand--bought a dozen in the past and within a year they were low enough in power out of the box that they would not engage the high on my 123 lights. In my personal experience they are not a bargain. If you do any checking, they do not meet the same specs for aH as Panasonic and Surefire batteries, which can be had for very little more. I have never had any issues with the USA manufacture 123's. Home Depot usually has the Surefire batteries at substantially less than the Duracell and Energizer ones, also

Omega Man likes this.
  5. Willy

Willy Loaded Pockets

I buy my CR123s at Lowe's. A 2-pak is around $4.50 but larger quantities are better value.

Tesla and Omega Man like this.
  6. Willy

Willy Loaded Pockets

Sorry. Forgot to mention they are Surefire batteries.

Tesla and Omega Man like this.
  7. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Panasonic/Sanyo in bulk from Battery Junction.

Tesla, ZMZ67 and Omega Man like this.
  8. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I need to place an order soon. Have been using the Titanium CR123 in my wireless Alarm the last 7 years, no problems. (I replace doors annually, windows sometimes 2-3 years)

9. BigGreenTick

BigGreenTick Loaded Pockets

The last coverage I've seen from any of the serious reviewers (Selfbuilt, HKJ etc) all showed the Titanium Innovations (Chinese) cells outperforming the US manufactured cells. Of course it's certainly possible that there has been a more recent change that has resulted in a change in performance. Unfortunately Chinese companies are notorious for cutting corners as time goes by.

10. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I too, read the "serious reviewers" (how exactly does one qualify as a "serious" reviewer, anyway:bounce:) and bought the Titanium cells. As Benjamin Franklin said in Poor Richard's Almanac: "Experience keeps a dear school, yet fools will learn in no other." So I learned from experience NOT to trust exclusively the self-appointed "serious reviewers" and to instead look at real world experience and application and review the actual product specifications. Here are the actual capacities of various cr123 batteries as listed on Battery Junctions own website:

Panasonic & Surefire 1550 mAh
    Energizer 1500 mAh
    Duracell 1470 mAh
    Titanium et al 1400 mAh

By their own specs, there is a clearly defined superiority to the USA brands. By my real world personal experience there is a BIG quality difference...way bigger than the corresponding price difference. It never ceases to amaze me that people will spend an additional $50 or $100 for a superior light and then feed it the battery equivalent of junk food because it's 50 cents cheaper.

11. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

I generally buy Panasonics from Battery Junction. I have purchased Titanium Innovations in the past that were defective and that soured me on them. The current Titaniums may be OK but the Panasonics have been good quality from the start for me so I prefer to stick with them.

Tesla likes this.
  12. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

I'm surprised to hear negative experiences with Titanium batteries. I've been using them almost exclusively for years and they've all worked quite well for me, but I haven't done any side by side testing so others might work even better.

jag-engr likes this.
  13. sonofjesse

sonofjesse Empty Pockets

I like streamlight CR123. I have good look with them over the years.

14. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Go an kiss your Home Depot purchase manager.... or at least buy him a cup of coffee. Stocking Surefire is not something HomeDepot normally does... more of a regional, store by store aberration.

ATB,
    Sam

15. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Actually, I inadvertently said Home Depot....I really meant Lowe's. I apologize for the errant tip.

16. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Clarification is always a good thing and it keep people from denting the wall with their heads. ;)

ATB,
    Sam

17. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I’ve only had good experiences with Titanium Innovation CR123 cells, personally. They seemed, based on my experiences, to be more or less on-par with Surefire. Relatively, I think Panasonics are the best, then TI and SF, then Streamlight, based upon the experiences that I have had.

FWIW, though, I was not impressed with TI’s CR2 cells in the least.

18. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Panasonic makes Surefire's cells, IIRC. Streamlight cells are good, although they do not spec out as well as Panasonic. I've used them, but I advise everyone to avoid Asian made cells, including Titanium. Saving 50 cents a cell is not worth having to worry about whether they will even fire up your high mode on your light after sitting a year.

ran23 likes this.
  19. Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock Loaded Pockets

I've tried them all, now I only use Panasonic, purchased from Battery Junction. I buy 50 or so at a time to get a better price & free shipping.

Omega Man likes this.
  20. etc

etc Loaded Pockets

Ebay. All domestic 123 are made by a single manufacturer. Whether it's surefire, duracell or whatever. Even energizer. They are the exact same cell from the Panasonic factory.

The foreign ones that are cheaper have lower starting mAh capacity. so you are not saving anything.

On Ebay, buying in bulk, you can buy 200 or so cells at under a buck each. The expiration may not be the newest.

Rob Babcock likes this.