1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Where are the .308 guys?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by jda, Nov 26, 2013.

1. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

Im set to grab an FAL in a couple weeks, I plan for it to be a user.

What did you do to yours to make it more functional?

Im thinking - DSA extended safety, ARMS rail, and a 1-6x scope, sort of a "guerrilla sniper rifle." Make it as functional as possible, without making a 10# rifle even heavier.

Also, what pouches are you running? Im trying to avoid spending $90 on HSGI tacos, but im thinking 3 mags, single stack, on my armor and one on my belt (already have a taco there)
    Maybe an ATS tripple 7.62 shingle?

Failing advice, pictures are always nice, lets see the FALs!

2. JohnN

JohnN Loaded Pockets

My advice is if you are set on an FAL, get a US made one.

I spent a fair amount of time considering upgrading mine, but in the end replaced mine with a 300 BLK AR.

It's a pain keeping track of US parts, it doesn't have the nice modualarity of the AR, nor the wealth of vendors.

You might want to consider building a rifle with Mega Arms Maten components.

-john

3. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

All the .308 guys I know are too busy working three jobs to afford .308.

Lou_G likes this.
  4. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

The one im picking up is a springfield sar-48, imported well before 922r and exempt from it as a result.
    Unfired, like new in the box, too nice to pass up, and the price isnt bad either, $1100. (my buddy got divorced, needs cash)

ran23 likes this.
  5. JohnN

JohnN Loaded Pockets

Actually, sounds like a smokin deal. I'm not sure I'd use it as a user tho. Pre-ban, NIB, not a franken-gun....

-john

6. Monty

Monty Loaded Pockets

I went with a .308 short (7.62x39), very fond of my Sig 556R.

7. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

I dont collect, if I buy something its going to be shot.
    On a good day they sell for $2000, which isnt too far off from a new DSA, so im not too concerned.

8. ramjet

ramjet Loaded Pockets

Ruger gunsite scout. Small, portable, nice layout. My go to long gun these days.

9. ThreeWulfMoon

ThreeWulfMoon Loaded Pockets

I'm looking to join the 30 caliber club sometime soon, but I think I'm gonna grab a Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle. My friend has one and it's a sweet shooter. Of course, I'd really like to luck up on a nice SKS at a good price too. So many options, so little money...

10. UbiquitousLastName

UbiquitousLastName Loaded Pockets

Ive got a DPMS .308 and I love it. Its a bit heavy but I love the extra knockdown. Lately Ive been looking at several of the adaptable combat rifles that can fit a barrel chamber combo in either 5.56 or 300 blackout. I'll probably get one of those and use the 5.56 for three gun. I like the idea of being able to swap between the uber common 5.56 ammo and the 300 blackout.

11. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

This was a FAL built from a parts kit. This rifle would shoot M.O.A. all day long with the right ammo and sub-M.O.A. with handloads. It took two days of sand blasting to get the black lacquered finish (traditional european gun finish) off the rifle so we could parkerize it when finished. The key to the accuracy was floating the barrel, which was a real pain to do. More important was recutting the barrel crown, which was done by hand. I didn't keep it very long as a guy bought it from me at the range making me a very hefty profit of 250%.

I've also had the Rock River LAR-308, which I sold because it was too proprietary for my taste. I bought a POF P308 with the NP3 finish after that. I really like the rifle a lot, but in the end, I went back to a bolt action Remington 700 with a Rock Creak 5R barrel. The main reason is the .308 Winchester is really a reach out there and touch something cartridge that does better with a longer barrel.

If I was still shooting 3-gun matches, I'd probably run the AR-10 platform. Mainly because I can get a collapsible stock and super reliable new magazines. Also, there is greater parts availability for the AR-10.

[​IMG]

12. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

Did you shoot it at all before you started doing the other work on it?
    Im sorta curious what kind of accuracy I should expect, im hoping to keep it within 2 moa as I don't expect to do much past 500, and that would keep them on the chest.

Who know, I may go for a deer with it if I feel the urge to carry a sack of brick in my arms.

13. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Actually, I went in with a couple guys and we bought 10 parts kits. We were trying to create something for 3-gun matches that used a major power factor cartridge. This one, I built for myself using a forged receiver. I had the requisite USA made parts, but the rifle you see was the end result. Even the the scope was on a quick release as was the Versapod bipod, the rifle was too big to manipulate in tight quarters such as a car. I ended up switching to a heavy barreled 16" AR-15 with an ACE Entry stock. Yeah it was a minor caliber, but I could move and shoot quickly with it.

I will tell you I was using the original barrel, we just recut the crown with an 11 degree target crown. The tool for doing so was a big expense of the build. I can also tell you I'd never spend the money on that free-float handguard from DS Arms again either. Also, FAL magazines suck....I'm just saying.

I've always been of the opinion, if you want serious gear that is uber reliable, look at what the competitive shooters are using. They will be running the best and most reliable gear for the money. You don't see too many FALs anymore since the AR-10's are widely available. I tell you this because I know you compete some.

jda likes this.
  14. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

I also see comp guys running JP ultra light BCG and captured buffers, but I wouldnt put them in a fighting rifle.

I'll run the FAL hard for a bit, and if it runs well I'll add glass, if not off to gunbroker it goes. Im fairly certain I'll get my money out of it.
    Im sure it will run though, I mean its the 3rd most produced fighting arm in the world. There has to be a good reason behind that.

15. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

You're right...NATO.

jda likes this.
  16. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

Good news is that SKD just solved my Nylon gear problem, bad news is it turned into a $220 order, lol

ERRRRR approved link list....

They have a 7.62 version of the pig brig chest rig.