1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

When you need it and you don't have it

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by clock, Jan 19, 2020.

1. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

Almost a must to have a name. This syndrome is when you carry some EDC item religiously, but when you need it the most, you discover that you have forgotten it on that very exact day !!!

I always, I mean always, carry TWO pens. One is black and one is blue. When one runs out and I still have one, I have an itch to replace the other one ASAP. Even at home, I always carry both, and use them time to time.

A few days ago, a friend talked to me about one of his friends who started some business and that it would be beneficial to both of us to sit together and talk. OK, a few messages later we agreed to meet at some café. I thought a bit about the "level of EDC" I should bring along with me. Whether I should go there with only pocket load, or if I should bring a long the briefcase, laptop ..etc. So, I decided to go in lighter mode. Only add a folded piece of paper just in case I had to write some phone number or draw something.

I went to the café and met the guy. He was in full EDC gear: briefcase, laptop, tablet ..etc. Well, OK. We started using his laptop to discuss things. It was when I was going to explain a few things on paper that I found how 'naked' I was !!!. Not only I failed to bring a zip folio or something, I have even forgotten my TWO EDC pens !! How can that happen ???!!

Looks to me like weird. I am carrying them now as I type this fro home.
    So, how I could possibly forget them

2. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

Its a corollary to Murphy's Law.

3. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

What??? You don't keep a pen & notebook in your car....EEEEK!:frantic:

4. victograph

victograph Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    It changed for me when I switched to my hazard 4 wallet. It carries my F701 in elastic and I use half of a silicone wrist band to keep a small notebook attached. I don’t have to think about them so they are there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. plumberroy

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

I have an extra knife, light , pen and notebook in my EDC bag , in the glove box and my locker at work

6. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

@clock this happens to me on a regular basis. It's annoying as a hot place, but I choose to see it as a healthy sign and a trace of reason in this madness.
    That feeling when you need one of your regular EDC items and realize it's not in your pocket, I can't really describe it with words, but I sure know how you must have felt. The way I see it though, that's OK. If we get to caught up and focused on our EDC, it distracts us from the task at hand. Most of us, I assume, have our EDC on our body, in our backpack and in our vehicle at all times exactly so we don't have to think about it all the time, it's just always at hand to solve problems and tasks that we didn't plan for.
    That is probably also why I typically fail to have my EDC items when I'm doing something outside my ordinary mundane everyday chores. I'm focused on that specific task. Often times this includes wearing different clothes, packing a dedicated bag/backpack etc to have the most appropriate gear for the task. And once in a while I fail to take into account that I won't have my regular clothes and gear with my regular EDC, but even so - I was focused on the task, and the gear I did remember was usually more important than the occasional EDC gear I forgot.

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  7. victograph

victograph Loaded Pockets

Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Ed Humphries

Ed Humphries Empty Pockets

How true this is! There is a corollary thought and action: a while back we were going to take the extended family out to the park for fun and play. We were going to snag fast food on the way, so I thought "why not" and dropped a spork in with my normal EDC. Sure enough, my SIL broke his fast food version of a spork on his first bite. The look on his face when I pulled a spork out of my pocket and gave it to him was priceless! :)

Gotta be a name for that too. "I don't normally, but today I have it."

On the "I forgot it" side, I ascribe it to distraction. I try to counter it with a mental checklist. But this is still a simple, "opps, forgot." I think it's worse (at least to my mental state) when I say to myself "not gonna need that" or "just gonna be to the store and back" or other such nonsense - and then I find I need the missing object (often badly). Hate that!

Cheers, Ed H. Atlanta

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  9. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

Managing without teaches improvisation. My parents were born early in the 20th century and got by with a fraction of the kit that we deem essential. I've try to follow my father's example when faced with a task. The expressions often used by the older generation were 'beg,borrow or steal' and 'make do or mend'

10. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

Good point and I agree. However, I'd add that if you're good at improvising then having EDC gives you more with which to improvise.

It might be similar to first aid in that regard - If you have training and experience then you can make a decent dressing with a handful of napkins and some cloth... ... but if you have some duct tape to hand then it'd be better than tying the napkins in place... ...and if you have a purpose-made dressing then you're going to reach for that instead.

11. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

Coincidentally, I just ran across this video of a talk by a lady whose day job is teaching US Marines how to rapidly prototype engineering / technological solutions in the field. Some interesting examples of situations where she's been a first responder in hurricane-hit areas and going through the problem solving process she uses.

Here's the video (25 mins):
    Found via Hackaday: https://hackaday.com/2020/01/20/testing-your-grit-tales-of-hacking-in-difficult-situations/

That Movie Guy likes this.
  12. munkynut454

munkynut454 Loaded Pockets

I have posted about this subject before and it is a nightmare situation to find yourself in!
    Normally I would EDC a medium size FAK in a rucksack but I had ‘popped to the shops’ on the bus so just took my wallet, keys, phone and shopping bag. On the way back an elderly lady took a tumble on the bus and opened her shin up very nicely... also she was on blood thinners and in the UK for some insane reason buses don’t have kits on board... I shan’t bore you further but suffice to say my rucksack is never far from my side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

Last spring while on a hike, my dog was stung on the paw by a red ant.
    It was obviously very painful & stressful to her, she was limping badly and not able to walk well at all.
    As luck would have it, there was a small stream nearby with very cold, flowing water, and I walked her back & forth in it until her paw was soothed.
    I say luck because we live in the desert southwest, and the stream is an intermittent one, only flowing during snowmelt, and we were miles from the car.
    At 40 lbs, it would have been a tough haul to carry her that far.
    I was fortunate to keep my wits and not panic, and be able to figure out a solution at the time.
    Now my backpack has several of the instant emergency cold packs in it.

#13 kukla, Feb 9, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2020