1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

When to say “Enough”?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Mark Patton, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Mark Patton

Mark Patton Loaded Pockets

I just got an email from BladeHQ saying that a knife I wanted was back in stock. I passed on it. I'm good with what I have. Hmmm...I guess I need to start looking for a new watch now, or backpack.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  2. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Flashlights are always good, too.

el_murdoque and Mark Patton like this.
  3. CV801

CV801 Loaded Pockets

You have will power. When they email me I try to resist, dwell on it a day or so, then buy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Or they sell out in seven minutes because you were "dwelling". :)

Moshe ben David and CV801 like this.
  5. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

For me, it was when I started carrying only one knife. The rest is just sitting in a cigar humidor.

[​IMG]

This one cant be rotated for some reason. Got the perfect edge for all my uses.
    [​IMG]

Mark Patton likes this.
  6. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

My thing (knives/guns, etc) to keep them in check is that I don't pull from my needed money to buy them. Ever pay check I get a few bucks, and it's not much with 2 kids in day care. So if I want something I have to 1) save a long time or 2) sell/trade other stuff to pay for it.

I also went nuts and gave away a few rifles, knives, and pistols to family. They were things I didn't super use, I was't into them for all that much, they were really happy to receive them, and now if I go visit there's quality gear there. Wins all around. I don't worry about what knife to take, it's my Microtech Combat Troodon unless I'm going somewhere it's illegal. then it's the same folder I've owned for 15 years or so now.

It's a lot harder to plop down a couple hundred bucks to try something new when you may have to give up something else you've wanted or already know you like. Bird in the hand, and all that.

oh yeah, most gear does not gain or hold value over time. This was something I struggled a bit with when I was getting out of 3 gun shooting. I had a lot of money tied up in specific guns for it. But I have young kids now and don't compete, and won't seriously for a good while. My thought was I would have my old stuff to fall back on. But really, with how fast stuff advances, my old gear would be worthless before too long. How many of you still carry a 2006 cell phone, use a desk top from 2010, or carry a 1993 pocket knife?

Moshe ben David and Lateck like this.
  7. sl66ICEcuba

sl66ICEcuba Loaded Pockets

Way too many aspects that I want to touch on so this will be a bit lengthy. I went through a phase were I bought almost anything and everything, high and low end, numerous of the same model just different colours and etc. I filtered out a lot of it and I totally agree with getting rid of something you don't like or use to fund something more suitable. I did that and I am at the point were I know what I want precisely enough that even if I don't use it as much I won't get rid of it. everything sub 100 dollars is pretty much gone. I don't think you are in the hoarding mentality, it is a hobby, you enjoy it and it has a purpose, I say go ahead and indulge! Only time I would say its a negative is if you are putting a hobby like this ahead of life priorities like mandatory bills or necessities (food, housing, and other stuff along those lines). Also, as this progresses on, rather than just buying anything and everything, you start taking a more precise route and start wanting more specified items. The purchasing starts to slow down and it goes (at least for me) from 3 or 4 a month to 1 or 2 every couple of months. Not hurting anyone, go for it, enjoy!

Mark Patton and Moshe ben David like this.
  8. sl66ICEcuba

sl66ICEcuba Loaded Pockets

The filtered down collection, about six or seven missing from the photo.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Lateck likes this.
  9. Airborne 1

Airborne 1 Loaded Pockets

10. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

11. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

It's just about admitting that one has crossed the threshold from extensive user to collector.

I can justify three knives as my EDC rotation at the moment. A (more or less)daily user, one that's a little bigger and a little tougher for when heavier work can be expected and one that's a little bit more fancy.

Anything above that is either specialized gear and by definition non EDC or it's a collection.

12. BC42

BC42 Empty Pockets

Harbor Freight had a sale on their Apache 3800 case for $30 so I picked one up as well as the smaller 1800. I thought this was a good option since I ordered 8 knives this month. In my defense, I'm just starting to get back into pocket knives and ordered some that I've been eyeing for a few years.

13. Airborne 1

Airborne 1 Loaded Pockets

Thats what WE all say !!:Juggle:

That Movie Guy likes this.
  14. Mark Patton

Mark Patton Loaded Pockets

Funny you bring this point up. This is what started my problem. Last year me and the boys were in Vegas looking at watches. I was building a house at the time and said, “I’d better not buy a watch, my wife will kill me”. One of my buds told us how he puts a little away each paycheck and his wife doesn’t know/care/say anything about his toys he buys. So I started putting away a little each paycheck at that point. Pretty soon, it didn’t bother me to buy a new knife here and there. And this my issue. I think I have accumulated too many. Since the time of my original post, I have sold one so I think I’m at a good number now. But I almost caved on a new Spyderco today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. egp

egp Loaded Pockets

Between my pickup, the wife's car, the garage, my desk and the semi, I think I have around 15 or 20 floating around, at least 4 of the ones in the pickup were given up by people I've taken to the airport, 3 of them are el cheapo throw aways, but one is a decent Spyderco.

16. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

When you begin posting photos of your knives on an internet forum...

Lateck and Moshe ben David like this.
  17. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

Oh lord, I'm a goner. :frantic:

18. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Never seen you post a picture. What's worse?[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

Lateck likes this.
  19. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I joined EDCF in 2006 and posted some photos of my small accumulation of working knives the next few months. I decided then that was "enough" for me.