1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

When to say “Enough”?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Mark Patton, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Mark Patton

Mark Patton Loaded Pockets

I’ve always enjoyed having a cool knife in my pocket. But in the last year, I’ve wanted to up my knife game just a little. Move from an import Boker to strictly USA made knives. Then I became kind of obsessed with them. I have seven knives in my collection now. Sold a few recently that I just didn’t take to.

At what point, if any, should I say “enough”?

I still have a Spyderco Para 3 Lightweight on order. I just love all these knives, but they are merely just possessions. I only carry one or two pretty regularly. I’ve always been a minimalist, but now I’m starting to edge into “Hoarder” territory.

Anyone else ever feel bad about just collecting possessions that for the most part just sit there? save for the one or two I use regularly.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Not me.
    I only buy then right so that I can pretty much sell if I decide too and not take any real loss so while I might not make any money on them I will likely not lose any either.

But this has nothing to do with anyone but you either,how can someone else decide what is enough for you?

I have gotten to the point a few times where I thin the herd and go sideways maybe to try out some different things but we each have a personal threshold to cross into excess and it is ours to determine and find alone.

I also wonder if someone asking does not already know the answer really?
    If it bothers you then do something about it.

chaosmagnet and huntnow like this.
  3. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

If you think 7 knives is edging on "hoarder" then you must be really new to the sharps game. :)
    Try carrying something outside your normal EDC and you just might like it.

And theres never enough.

4. CV801

CV801 Loaded Pockets

Hoarder? Ha! I haven't counted mine in many years but I'm probably over 200. Besides a couple I've lost over the years I have every knife I've ever owned. Just can't part with them I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

Pfft. I've got over 250 just in the Spyderco portion of my accumulation.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  6. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

A man's reach should exceed his grasp, I say. (Okay someone said that first, but you get the idea).

Moshe ben David likes this.
  7. BigGreenTick

BigGreenTick Loaded Pockets

I suddenly feel much better about my far smaller than 200 knife collection.

--looks over at the flashlights--

Damnit!

8. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

......looks over more at giant box of batteries....

:D

Moshe ben David and JHGM like this.
  9. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Not sure what my maximum was. 40? 50? Anyway, I had the feeling being caught in the rat race. So I sold most of my knives. Just kept about the five best one and the same amount with sentimental value.

Now I rotate those five, depending on where I’m going and what I’m doing. Sometimes I look at a knife and ponder if I should buy it, but then I remember that I got what I want and I’m at peace.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

10. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

To the first question: Right about the time it starts to bother you. This point is different for everyone...

To the second question: I don't feel bad about unused gear; as long as it's quality. I can always sell most of my stuff and recoup probably 75% of what I paid because it's quality gear that will likely always be desirable. ALSO, I don't feel bad about unused gear because if :censored: ***ugh, censored for Crap Hits The Fan*** (or you know, zombies, aliens, big G, etc.) then I've got dependable gear that I can distribute to family/friends.

It's all mindset and it's all VERY subjective.

Just remember: anyone who owns more that you is a crazy prepper, anyone who owns less than you is an unprepared fool.

:D

11. popedandy

popedandy Loaded Pockets

I've said enough plenty of times. I think that is something I say to see if I can convince myself to belief something that is completely ridiculous.

JHGM likes this.
  12. HeadOffice

HeadOffice Loaded Pockets

I think I'm in the same boat - can never part with them. Hence the over 200 fixed, folder, OTF, you name it. Then you add the flashlights and multitools and I need a lot of storage.

13. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

This thread needs more pictures. This is most of my Queens.

[​IMG]

14. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

I can say that you haven't reached the rank of hoarder yet (I surpassed that and left it long ago in the rear view mirror). Part of the joy of buying new knives is to try something you haven't used before. Some probably won't be your cup of tea. Sell them and use the money to purchase something else.

My knife purchasing has slowed dramatically from 4-5 per week to 1 or 2 a month. But when something catches my fancy, I usually don't pass on it. I enjoy the hobby. If nothing new seems to draw you, then you may have reached your level of perfection. Enjoy!

15. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

When you think about it enough to ask this question, that is when.

I got caught up in the "pocket knives as a hobby" thing for a few years and probably have about 150 or so. I regularly use maybe a dozen of those. So now, what I have is a future hassle dealing with selling most of them at some point, which I am putting off. My acquistion days are behind me, though. I have bought maybe one pocket knife a year for the past 4 years. My rapid accumulation period was about 2 1/2 years before I said "ok, that's enough."

Best not to over-accumulate "stuff" beyond what you reasonably might ever need. That would be enough to cover your actual use cases, plus potential replacements for lost/broken tools that you especially like.

16. 9x19

9x19 Loaded Pockets

I say "Enough" after each purchase. :D

17. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

If you are sensible, you'll stop right there, that's more than enough.:bounce:

18. Mark Patton

Mark Patton Loaded Pockets

I got one more incoming. A spyderco pre order, then I'll probably stop. Maybe i'll pick one and starp upgrading it with a new clip or anodized hardware.

19. Aloxfox

Aloxfox Loaded Pockets

If you feel no desire and no joy to get another knife, then you should stay with your knives.
    But if you are fascinated by knives you will soon see again a blade that you want to have.

20. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

When to say enough is very subjective and dependent. If you’re accumulating just for the sake of having them at the cost of other things, then it is definitely time to say enough. But if you enjoy each of them and have the funds available then keep enjoying. If you’re questioning if it is time now, then maybe hold off on purchasing another one for a little while, until you find the “one” you just can’t get out of your mind.