1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

When is Tactical Unpractical?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Carcass, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

Well yeah if chem sniffers say your bag has gunpowder/bomb making chemicals on it, and you're going through international security, then all bets are off. lol

2. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

Yep....that's what you call a real tactical bag.....if it has gunpowder residue on it, that is. I'm giving up priceless information here. :smug:

3. Bwana1

Bwana1 Loaded Pockets

They certainly frown on deer urine in carry on luggage, and refuse to believe it's "said" deer urine either...best to pass it around and we all smell it for confirmation :)

4. andy3101

andy3101 Loaded Pockets

I just saw this today and I thought, it fits in here,

kiloromeo96 and gearheavy like this.
  5. gearheavy

gearheavy Loaded Pockets

MilSpec, moly/pals compatible baby bottle holder, tactical teething ring attachment, and field HandyWipes dispenser coming soon.

kiloromeo96, Bwana1 and Dirty Rod like this.
  6. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

As a dad with a youngling. I :censored: near bought that in black. lol Not because I expected to strap magazines or combat knives to it, but because it was a baby carrier that was not feminine. It also had some nice features.

What stopped me you might ask? I think it was like $275.

My girl's 2 now, but yeah. I really almost bought one. Just for the fun. The laugh, and yeah it's a baby carrier that's not fem. I DO have a babybag Well it's a toddler bag now, but it's a tactical bag. Works awesome.

Orlando Marquez and Water-Rat like this.
  7. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

I was a little disappointed that he didn't demo any molle-attachable baby bottle holders, rattle pouches, or diaper dump bags.

Water-Rat and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Isn't a Diaper really just a Dump Pouch already?

Bwana1, Water-Rat, Myrddraal and 2 others like this.
  9. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

Touché

10. gearheavy

gearheavy Loaded Pockets

...that or an IED.

11. volcomonix

volcomonix Loaded Pockets

Maybe it's because of the materials and craftsmanship typically associated with "tactical" bags? I would tend to agree, that's why I carry a Tumi Luke Rolltop daily, with a G19, Surefire GX2 Pro, very small IFAK, and my daily work things like surface pro, power cord, ethernet/usb adapter, etc.

12. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I think it's almost always impractical. I'll tell you how I fell into the hole despite having a similar mindset prior to taking the tactical ride.

In 2004, I bought my first pistol, a Glock 23. I was a science teacher but knew I wanted more than a ten round magazine. I'm 2005, I bought 13 round magazines the very first of five was stamped restricted gov/le use only. I took a CHL course and learned about night sights. It was actually 2007 before I had them installed.

In 2006, I became a police officer, went to a multi agency academy and was a bit perplexed by the amount of tacticool crap I saw the youngins spending their checks on. All the instructors wore 5.11 pants, and I recall very well thinking how stupid they looked. I bought a nylon rig and some BDUs for "special duty" and felt awkward in the black bagginess. I turned out to be a remarkably excellent shot but developed no greater affinity for firearms than any southerner has although combat shooting became a hobby. I did buy a BUG.

I came into quite a bit of money, had always admired AR15s, and I bought a carbine. I looked into optics, lights, etc, saw the prices, and was overwhelmed by the options. Still am. Next, I assumed I needed a Tactical shotgun. I bought a Mossberg 590. It looked cool. I've not shot three boxes of shells in three years. Regarding the AR, I like it but really have no desire to rig it up and start shooting it. I've had it ten years.

Fast forward to 2008, I bought my first EDC backpack. It was the TNF Hot Shot. It was essentially a giant sack, and I never could find anything in it. With 2010, I replaced my BUG, bought some more holster options, weapon light, and a new pistol to replace an issued model after changing emoloyers. In 2012, I bought a third Glock some Maxpedition crap and loathed it's stiffness. Just today I sold it all on eBay. I got really into prepping and also enrolled in graduate school. I quit full-time LE and worked instead as a RN. YouTube and exposure, along with having substantially surplus income led me to buy a Hodge podge of crap I presently don't want. I've actually become a minimalist. In 2014, I drank the Kool Aid and bought some 5.11 pants. I felt stupid and ready all at the same time. I got married that year and by 2015 quickly out grew my toned waistline. I went shopping for a larger pair and realized all quality was gone in 5.11 so my mindset changed. I generalized those feelings to similar tactical outfits.

In 2015, I bought a Vanquest Trident 20. Curse you YouTube. It's been a great, organized bag. But I'm not LE, have never been Mil, and I don't wish to be associated with either.

In 2017, I'm looking again at Vertx again but also Tom Bihn. I want to replace my gun wear with Kuhl and similar attire. I'm still prepared, probably better than ever despite owning less tactical EDC trinkets, but I don't wish anyone to know. I had a brain dump recently and realized my EDC bag had become nothing of EDC but rather fantasy scenario equipment.

I flirted with 1911s and footsies .45s. I carried a tactical long gun in my truck and plenty of gear to let me hike the AT if I wanted. It became a fixation. Now I could jog to work, am sold on 9mm pistols ( and surprisingly want another), wear slacks and dress shoes during the week, and a heck of a lot of sweaters. I run faster and farther despite having a softer mid section lol. We've had a child, I've become interested in computers which previously in life nauseated me, and spend time watching Mickey's Mouse Clubhouse.

Tactical is still cool, but I'm very glad I don't make a living doing tactical things, and I'm growing increasingly disinterested in gear preferring knowledge. I'd rather go to Disney World than Gunsite Academy.

13. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

ADMINISTRATIVE ANNOUNCEMENT

Cut out the snarky comments towards one another or this thread will be locked.

This forum is made up of a wide group of individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds. There is no absolute answer to this question, but we can be respectful of one another's preferences.

Orlando Marquez likes this.
  14. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

Just shows how people evolve either through experience, maturity, circumstances, shifting priorities, or boredom. A lot us loaded up giant packs in the name of preparedness, loaded up our ARs with lasers, scopes, and rails, carried around 6-10 pistol mags, a bunch of knives, etc only to settle into something more practical and more appropriate for our situation later. How long that takes and what that ends up being is just different for everyone as this thread shows.

Bwana1, GatorMedic and jag-engr like this.
  15. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

Circumstances are what brought me to use a backpack instead of the bag I used to carry. I broke my leg --- tibia plateau --- and required surgery. I found that a messenger bag and crutches don't work so well for me so enter the backpack. I tend to not get caught up in the whole tactical thing because I just don't think people really care that much --- except for the ones who like the look of your pack and want to know where to buy one.

Water-Rat and Myrddraal like this.
  16. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

When I used to shoot I switched from a LowePro camera pack to a Kifaru Xray. ( Awesome camera lumbar pack !) Every time I had to go through security -Official events etc... It got double the scrutiny. Took longer etc.... Went back to LowePro.

As far as International travel goes........... Europe is OK. Africa and other places not so much.

17. troutster52

troutster52 Loaded Pockets

I have very much enjoyed reading this thread. As others have said, everyone can do what they want, and it doesn't too much bother me. Most of the military type gear I have bought, or consider buying is because I want something tough and durable for hunting, etc.

I like the look of tactical gear in stores, on websites and in magazines, but all I can ever think is "I don't think I need that." I actually really like the look of the 5.11 stuff, and the option-rich range bags, duck blind bags, etc, but I can't justify the cost of any of that when a simple sturdy ruck sack type bag does the same job for 1/6 of the cost. I also like to hang on to promotional gear (branded by an insurance company, non-profit, website, etc) as its usually free, and decently practical without me worrying about damaging it.

I am a civillian that lives in the suburbs and works in an office job, and am not ashamed of that, nor do I need to paint the picture of my incredible B@D @$$ery, so I just go with what I like, and what makes sense for me. Plus, the part of the equation that I haven't heard much about is weight. Nutnfancy on youtube is a big advocate for SAWC (Size and Weight Constraints) and I tend to agree. Carrying only a wallet, car keys, cell phone, small folder, micro flashlight and maybe small single stack makes life a lot less complicated and myself a lot more mobile than a backpack full of medical supplies, food, paracord, carabiners, binoculars, etc. That is why I do what I do. Others can do what they do without judgment from me.

18. Carcass

Carcass Loaded Pockets

Why does everyone say that tactical bags are made any better than other bags? That ridiculous. There a ton of great backpacks & bags out there. And a good "tactical" bag isn't exactly cheap.

gearheavy likes this.
  19. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

I think that's the general consensus because they use thick fabrics and are usually heavy because of all the Molle. I think there are lots of misconceptions when it comes to "made better" or durability. The best companies are meticulous about choosing their fabrics and THREADS while most companies that I see talked about a lot on here just have manufacturing facilities overseas do most of that leg work for them. I personally would wear something made by Outdoor Products from Walmart before I would purchase from a tactical company that is nothing more than a marketing campaign for gear spec'd and made overseas.