1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

When is Tactical Unpractical?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Carcass, Dec 27, 2016.

1. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

"tactical"=shopping mall samurai/mall ninja in the absence of a sanctioned government mission.

2. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

When we conform to some convention or any other societal norm, we are "robbed" of at least some form of individuality.
    The military does this with the uniform. The "5.11 tuxedo" (Google it) is a derivative of this type of conformance. That's just one example. Any clothing item is based on something.

Last edited by 0dBm, Dec 30, 2016
    #62 0dBm, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  3. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

Want to spot a real operator? Go to the beach, look for the guy surfing by himself, or drinking beer with a flat stomach wearing flip flops and board shorts.

malraux72 and Water-Rat like this.
  4. b yond

b yond Loaded Pockets

Or dial zero.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

5. b yond

b yond Loaded Pockets

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, or maybe you're misunderstanding mine. I don't wear 5.11 pants to conform to anything; I wear them for very practical reasons. I don't see how that affects my individuality. It isn't a uniform, its a pair of pants.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

6. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Well, perhaps you misunderstood mine. The mere fact that you wear them for practicality MEANS that you conform to that convention. Every little thing that modern man DOES is in conformance to something. Even stating the your are not conforming to something IS indeed conforming to some thing, idea, philosophy, position, etc.

7. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Then hit #, 2, 5:rofl:

8. Fragarach

Fragarach Loaded Pockets

Tac clothing.. give me a pair of hot weather cargo style pants and a my 1 3/4" belt non metallic belt and I'm happy.

Regular work shirt. Work boots and hat.
    Belt is awesome to clip tools, keys, radio and light on, but can drop that stuff off easily for metal detectors. Cargo pockets are needed for those bigger things. 10" tablet and daughters random junk on weekends ;)
    Don't care what looks I get for stuff hanging off my belt. It's worn because its practical for what I carry, I dont carry a man purse and wont wear a backpack unless hiking or shooting.

-=The Matter is Void=-

b yond and Water-Rat like this.
  9. Carcass

Carcass Loaded Pockets

I wear 5.11 pants because they are good pants, fit well and practical. They blend right in and don't "look tactical". I can fit right in at a business meeting, a briefing or in the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b yond likes this.
  10. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

I think some people get too caught up in this whole tactical thing.
    My GF has a RUSH 12 in black.
    Her logic is simple: it's organized, modular, tough/durable, fits her frame, and is comfortable.
    No where did it even enter her mind that it was tactical.
    She saw it as a backpack.
    Her mother saw it and wanted one for the exact same reasons.
    One works in retail and the other is a nurse --- neither think that a backpack will make them the next tier one operator.
    She bought me a RUSH 24 for Christmas in TAC OD green.
    Her logic was that I can carry more stuff with the bigger bag when we take the kids on day trips, and that since I like being out in the woods for walks that green is a more natural color for that.
    She also got it for me as a work bag to carry my stuff.
    Again, at no time did it ever enter her mind that it was anything more than a great multi-use backpack that is tough.
    Does the backpack make me stand out?
    I doubt it very much.
    No one gives a :censored: about what kind of backpack I wear unless they are looking to buy a new one and think mine fits their needs.
    I've worn and Oakley multicam pack and had hunters asked me where they can buy the pack because it's hunting season.
    I had a lady ask me about a generic pack because she like how the admin section was done.
    People just need to realize they are not the center of attention and the universe.
    When is tactical not practical?
    When the pack you're looking at doesn't fulfill the needs that you are buying it for.

11. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

I'm a little late to this party, but as mentioned this comes up every month or two.

There are a few kinds of people that post on this forum. The types when you look at them, can seem kinda funny in retrospect.

1) There's a distinct portion of people that come here... to an EDC forum, and proceed to make posts that are nothing more than trolling the rest of the forum. The guys 'laughing' at others carrying tactical bags..... while.. on an EDC FORUM... The ones that laugh at others for carrying fire starters.... while on an EDC FORUM. They're pointing at other's while laughing at themselves for the most part.

We're all here... we all are carrying EDC to some extent or entertain the life style. If not, why are you here? Why waste your time if you're not one of these people?

2) Another type of person that you find on this board are the "GRAYMAN OR DIE" types. Now... these can be distinguished from the just 'Grayman' types. The 'GRAYMAN OR DIE" sorts are the ones that don't carry anything that looks remotely like it can be used for anything. They're laughing at others for carrying gear, or bags or what have you, and say that they're marks and stand out and gonna get killed for it.

It's been addressed upthread, but long story short.

NOONE CARES WHAT YOU'RE WEARING BUT YOU. I've pointed this out before. Noone cares. A bag is a bag is a bag. Unless you load it down with weapons and such on the outside. It's just a bag. There's only 3 sorts of people that will notice a "Tactical bag"
    1) Cops. And if you're not a criminal. who cares.
    2) Military. If you're not a criminal or terrorist. Who cares.
    3) Others like us. People that like this sort of gear. Where in if we notice it, it's to check out your gear, as we like that sort of thing.
    Noone else cares. A bag is just a bag. if it's camo? Guess what? Noone cares then either. Camo is mainstream. It's just another color pattern you find on everything from teeshirts to baby onsies. My daughter who's now 2 has cammo clothing. She did as a new born. Not because I love camo, but because it's just another pattern. We got some as gifts. From literal crib to casket, camo is mainstream.

Noone's looking at you due to your bag. If they're watching you, it's because of how you're acting. I've carried "Tactical bags" For over a decade in public. Never have I ever once had negative reaction from it. In over a decade of doing so the only reactions I've had, which in and of themselves is rare, is 'Hey man. nice bag". And one or two that ask what kind, because they want one.

Up thread someone said they don't even have a knife clipped to their pocket. Who cares? Noones looking at your pocket either. If they do look and see a 3 inch clip on your jeans, you're not some how a target.

The types that these GRAYMAN OR DIE people seem to think are going to appear and attack them, DO NOT CARE. If a terrorist or mass shooter starts up they ----are not picking targets one by one---- they're shooting who's ever there and is closest/easiest to hit. In no instance has there ever been proof that they take time to pick out armed individuals over others, and never once has any report indicated "They chose this one guy with a tactical pack and shot him before the other 50 people in the area" That's not how they work.

Now.. not wanting to garner a ton of attention is fine. I don't much like 'people' so I can get the urge, but implying that simply wearing a bag some how makes you a target is a HUGE Amount of egocentricity that borders on narcissism.

3) A third group isn't quite as well defined, but if you read through the thread you can pick them out too. They hold opinions and then make up situations to fit their opinions. If you read their posts with a 'Would this really happen' sort of mindset they're easy to pick out.

NOONE IN THE WORLD IS SEEING YOUR BELT AND WALKING UP TO DEMAND TO KNOW WHAT YOU'RE PACKING.

Come on guys. Noone in the world notices a simple thick belt and then questions you to carrying firearms. That doesn't happen in the real world. It just doesn't. Months ago some guy claimed that people were seeing the 2, to 3 inch clip of his knife, from 100s of feet off and came up to him to question him about the legality of carrying that specific brand of knife... that doesn't happen in the real world.

Sure you see people doing weird and stupid things, but are you REALLY Seeing a guy with a massive 72 hour pack in the grocery store and then approaching him to question him about what all he's got with him and a run down on if he really uses it? Who does that? Not wearing the bag.. some people do. They're on trips, or about to be. Going from here to there and need to carry gear. Maybe they're going to stay at a firends for a week and have their bag on them, but who walks up to an utter stranger in the store and starts demanding the usage and what another guy with a giant bag is carrying. If he does. What guy when approached by a stranger, wouldn't tell him to frak off and mind his own business in a situation like that? Even if the guy was being very polite, who would, IF carrying tons of gear for no reason, would straight up admit to it with a smile, and admit their stupidity? Those things don't happen in the real world. Nor do you approach groups of guys at the range and clearly probe why they're dressed as they are and carrying what they're carrying in a way to make fun of them to their faces. If nothing else that's a group of guys with guns that you're mocking to their faces.

Some of these 'types' pop up every time this comes up. They jump in and add their contribution to the thread and then a month to three later the same topic comes up in some fashion.

I use the pack that's the best for the job and I don't care what other people think about it. Why? Because it's my bag, Not theirs, and noone cares about what bag you carry. Noone cares what pant's your wearing either. You're not being targeted due to your bag. You're not some how a 'mark' because you carry a tactical bag. If anyone's looking to mug people, if anything a tactical bag might have a very very minute defensive nature to it. If it's noticed, FOR WHAT IT IS (and not just "hey that guy's got a bag with stuff), but if it's noticed for what it is, there's the very slim chance that your would be mugger will go. "Hey that's a tactical bag. That guy has a higher chance of having a gun or knife, and I might get hurt or killed if I try and mug him. I'll wait for that skinny geek with the Jansport with his face stuck in his phone"

Now.. it's a minute chance, as most muggers don't think too deep, but if they ARE thinking and ARE observant in that way, there's the tiny chance that having a tactical bag might be a benefit. Personally I don't think it's going to matter, as most people don't care, one way or the other, but they don't make you 'targets' as the people that folks THINK are targeting them. Don't care.

12. Ken Watson

Ken Watson Loaded Pockets

Agreed, Pepsi. I was going to say, I think the guy with the belt gets asked what he carries mainly because he lives in Texas. Nobody means anything by it and being asked what sort of gun you carry is just casual texas conversation.

kiloromeo96 and Ace like this.
  13. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Excellent point!
    To paraphrase Jerry McGuire, "you had me at...";)

14. Carcass

Carcass Loaded Pockets

True, same here in South Carolina. You just assume everyone is carrying. And they are!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirty Rod likes this.
  15. Brit1664

Brit1664 Loaded Pockets

I don't care what people are wearing or bag that they carry. However what upsets me is people wearing certain badges that they haven't earned or claiming to be from a unit they did not. The 2 exceptions are you are permitted to lie in an escape and evasion scenario when caught or out with your colleagues on the piss chatting up girls, then you can only claim to be in a lesser unit. I came back to the bar to see a guy trying to chat up my then girlfriend saying he was in certain units and got his beret. He soon left sheepishly when after he was quized and he found out I was in both and new the training staff.

However there is nothing wrong in having good kit, its reliable and lasts. In the British military, soldiers crave it and it has the name Gucci Kit. Now after I want my friends to have good stuff when we do endurance feats, I don't care if its tactical and they haven't been in. It simply works.

What gives away people from the top units is them running in all conditions with generally heavy packs and short hair.

Ace, kensington, THX2008 and 2 others like this.
  16. Bwana1

Bwana1 Loaded Pockets

I refuse to wear or own any patch military/swat/SEAL oriented for the same reason, I didn't earn it..I don't deserve to claim to be 1 of the "team" :)

malraux72, Ace and Dirty Rod like this.
  17. gearheavy

gearheavy Loaded Pockets

Exactly, I've expressed this same observation before. NOBODY CARES about your bag. Let's put things in perspective; there are "fashion" bags that SCREAM military tactical and cost thousands like the Givenchy Obsedia line ($1500-$3225) and Campomaggi line which run from $800-$1200 that are adorned with flashy pseudo military insignias. My office sits near several boutiques that carry these, and women (and some men) in downtown San Francisco buy them and carry them (not me). Do people notice, do people make judgements? Who cares. So when it comes to our cheaper and much more conservative looking Mystery Ranch, Triple Aught Design, Eberlstock, Goruck, or whatever, NOBODY CARES. If people are giving you a peculiar look it's because you're behaving strangely, doing something weird, or you look like rock star. If you're concerned with looking like "the Grey Man" and you're not DEA or some on-duty LE, and you're not active duty military on special assignment, or you're not someone instantly recognizable like Barrack Obama, Brad Pitt, Tom Brady, etc. then you got a ego problem and live in a fantasy world. Enjoy carrying what you like, behave yourself in public, always be respectful of others and MOVE ON...

Last edited by gearheavy, Jan 4, 2017
    #77 gearheavy, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  18. Bwana1

Bwana1 Loaded Pockets

This ^^^^^^

I certainly am cognizant of my "tactical bags" or camo clothing when traveling abroad, because it's viewed differently across the world...and getting summoned to a back room cavity search isn't on my travel itinerary with the wife :)

The TSA and customs officials in foreign lands are a bit over-eager as it is, and due to the worlds problems somewhat understandable...their job is to view all of us as criminals, throw a sniper pack and some snow camo in the mix and you're in for some issues.

But in the US nobody cares/notices what you wear, or what you carry on your back...I've never been bothered or stopped for any reason, and if I was they are welcome to legally inspect my belongings...after they're done they can apologize for wasting my time.

Ace likes this.
  19. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

To add, I always hear about people not wanting trouble in airports because of tactical bags. I typically carry one of my tactical bags around the world with me all the time, several times a month. I never have any problems and rarely get randomly chosen unless I'm carrying protein powder in ziplocks, which I don't do anymore. The only time I got truly nailed was in Germany, they swiped my bag with the card that they run over them, and said that it and my cap had a "suspicious substance" all over them. I did get taken into a back room where I explained that I was from Texas and I did a lot of reloading and shooting. I guess I had been handling the oil pad and the gun powder and touched the brim of my cap and pack a lot afterwards, not to mention shooting a few deer off the same pack from the prone. They went pretty easy on me and that's the only time I can remember anyone giving a crap in a negative way about my bag. I've actually made a few friends because I was wearing a certain bag that struck up conversation.

kiloromeo96, Ace and Water-Rat like this.
  20. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

While the majority of this thread has been a tired rehashing of arguments that were long ago beaten to death, I have to point out that this wonderful jewel from Mumbojumboo is the funniest thing I've read in some time: