1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

When is Tactical Unpractical?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Carcass, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Shike

Shike Loaded Pockets

I didn't say it looks cool. I said it looks cool to them. I usually worry about myself and my family. Analyzing what other people wear is not a top priority for me. If it makes them happy and it doesn't hurt anyone...........Who cares?

0dBm, Mr. Martines and Water-Rat like this.
  2. Carcass

Carcass Loaded Pockets

Just an observation, not a portrait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

I tend to get amused by people looking overly tactical too sometimes but I have to admit, when I'm at the airport which is several times a month in several locations and I see tactical gear, I don't really have any negative thoughts if it's just a backpack. I'm usually stretching my neck to see what bag it is. I'm honestly not a big EDC'r or "prepper" but Iive 9000 feet on top of a mountain in the ponderosa woods and I have a personal belief that if the infrastructure were to fail, all of those living next to "sidewalks" are toast. I'll be sipping coffee in a house no thug will ever know existed, a freezer full of meat, closet full of bullets and a pile of fire wood, wondering when the power outage is gonna be over. Haha.

On a serious note, it's just personal preference. And the good American made companies like Kif, MR, Spec-Ops, Eagle, etc., etc. do make some of the sturdiest gear out there, and some people like myself like the sturdiest gear. I think that companies like Tom Bihn make gear that is totally non-tactical and every bit as good and sturdy though, and I'm starting to get into that. We're all a bunch of gear queers here though, so....to each there own.

4. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

I think "tactical" can be a very relative term. There's a bit of a blurred line between "tactical" and "mall ninja". It's my opinion that 5.11 is the epitome of a mall ninja company, and aren't very tactical at all. It's non-Berry Compliant, imported, made from non-specified, non-certified material with the stamp of a company that has very little to do with the manufacturing process. They look the part....and they have great marketing and manufacturing power, and target a market that often doesn't know any better. The Covert might actually be one of the most tactical bags they make. You don't go to Macy's and find these 5.11 bags, and the Covert might be the most versatile/tactical one in their line. Not trying to be an :censored: about 5.11 but I just don't like companies that operate that way... Another "to each there own" situation. I love a lot of tactical companies like Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, and the others that have a true military presence and affiliation, and I'm always keeping my eyes open for that kind of gear. I think tactical is practical in tactical situations, including military, hunting, hiking, climbing and using the same bag for travel.

gazz98 likes this.
  5. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

I'm 6'7" or 6'8" and currently down to 290 lbs (from about 325). I tend to stand out no matter what I'm wearing. But since I started wearing pants in public again, the police and bystander attention has dropped considerably.

Like someone mentioned earlier, I like "tactical" pants due to the many pockets available. It helps me carry and organize my wallet, keys, flashlight, knife and/or multitool, handkerchief, boo boo kit, etc. Since I got my CPL over a year ago, only my IWB holster and mag pouch ride on my belt now. "Tactical" backpacks also offer better organization,tend to be bigger (as in liters/cubic inches) vs the typical "student" backpack, can handle a laptop or hydration system (both of which I use), and they can double as a hiking pack with the option to add water bottle holders or more pouches via the outside molle. I think "tactical" backpacks are versatile. Do I care that people think I'm a cop, military, or Navy SEAL wannabe? Nope. At 46 years of age, I don't think I'd be mistaken for a teenage zombie killer either.

I understand some people don't want to look "tactical" and that is ok. I wear what I want and what works for me. YMMV.

Shike and Water-Rat like this.
  6. callforfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

callforfire Loaded Pockets

I enjoy being able to configure pouches and such to suit me, and quite a lot of my stuff has molle because it works for that. This "tactical" appearance, and the issue some have with it is a confusing thing cropping up with increasing frequency in recent years, and to be honest I don't understand the problem. I too grew up making use of surplus gear right down to the jungle boots and bdus with all the other working class kids. Never once did any of us unruly metal heads get called tactical for it. We must have got use to it though as we made up the majority of military enlistment later on.
    Not that long ago, I burned through my Gibill across 2 universities and Have seen first hand that packs fitting the so called "tactical" description made up about 70% give or take, mostly maxped & 5.11 commercial grade stuff....and nobody cared. It is just a backpack. It signaled nothing. I can't speak for anyone else, but the word tactical never entered my mind when shopping for a good pack to fit my needs. Unlike the woman in my life, I simply don't shop based on appearances. I merely want good quality gear that does what I want. Marketing aside, there simply isn't anything negative about it that I can get my head around.
    Now the patches I put on my stuff is another story. U.S. Army and proud of it.

kiloromeo96, Jay-uk and Water-Rat like this.
  7. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

8. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

a) "Everyone" is a VERY generalized statement. There is a very small group within the overall population that uses backpacks. Within that subgroup is a much smaller one desiring those military-looking bags with the never-ending number of straps and buckles. It appears to be the vernacular amongst those enamored with the appeal of the military. It appears silly because of the pretentiousness, but it's all about choices and personal preference. Military-type bags have become more of a fashion statement due to the form that has largely overshadowed the function of a well-organized object intended to primarily organize a larger number of necessary items required during a deployment of protracted periods to locales not conducive to the availability of those items being carried.

b) I know your post is just meant to encourage conversation; however, if you genuinely do not understand the advantage of non-operators (military or para-military) in tactical gear, you're trying much too hard to find fault in human nature.

Hmm, I suspect that you may have been a victim or know of someone that has.

Shike likes this.
  9. Carcass

Carcass Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Really, this looks like the most tactical bag they have??

10. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

Looks or not, it is very tactical. Functionally tactical as it may be, it's made for a tacticool company with a very tacticool name. Maybe you're in the closet about your tacticoolness. We were born this way, dude! Embrace it!

11. TacticoolMike

TacticoolMike Loaded Pockets

I fully embrace that which is Tacticool.

12. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

You just walked right into that one.

Evidently missing his entire point in the process?

13. Carcass

Carcass Loaded Pockets

Hehe, no I definitely walked into that one.

14. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

It's all good in the hood, mane!

Jay-uk likes this.
  15. andy3101

andy3101 Loaded Pockets

When I am on my way to work, I see a lot of tactical backpacks. All fine. But I have to lough silently, when I see the backpacks decorated. Patches, hooks, carabiners, as much as possible. And some keyrings additional, maybe. "Tactical" is for boys, what shoes are for girls, i guess.

0dBm likes this.
  16. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

Ive often wondered how many of those I see are people who buy the packs because of the quality and size versus buying the pack because it looked cool and filling it full of crap they don't really use. This week, I got to ask the question twice.

This morning, in the gym, I struck up a conversation with a guy who was camo'ed down with a fairly large pack waiting for his pickup basketball game to start. In it, he was carrying some lifting belts, straps, etc but also had his share of food, paracord, change of clothes, fire starter, etc as well as an Ax hanging from the back. We had a friendly conversation where he did admit that his duffle was probably the better tool, he hadn't ever used most of the things in his pack, and that he was rarely more than a hundred yards from his car, house, or office.

On Tuesday, I was spotting for a guy at the range and some guys were a few lanes over having their MREs. During a break I wondered over and complemented one of the rifles and inquired about their bag. All three were the spitting image of Tacticool down to their thigh holsters and service patches. When I thanked them for their service they did admit that they had never served. Further into the conversation they pulled our some of their night vision gear and milsurp radios and talked a bit about the "OP" they were planning later. (No exaggeration) I inquired about the massive size of one of their packs and they did admit that they probably didn't need one that size nor did they "need" to carry MREs and NV gear but that it was "fun". I started to ask about all the carabineers hanging from the packs but figure that wouldn't yield any better answers.

I'm certain I'll run into someone who is more about the function and less about looking cool. I know there are plenty of folks on this forum that understand the concept but I just haven't run into them yet on the street. I do see lots of smaller packs around but generally those look a bit less tactical as does the person carrying them.

Last edited by Dirty Rod, Dec 29, 2016
    #56 Dirty Rod, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    Mumbojumboo, 0dBm and Water-Rat like this.
  17. Carcass

Carcass Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Jonb74, karlito, Shike and 5 others like this.
  18. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

This isn't a new circumstance. I know automobile mechanics who buy just about every little tool just to have it. Same goes for a clerk, attorney, chef, etc. The list is endless.

This new development with the overwrought, overstuffed military-style backpack is quite comical; however, people will do what they want. Ours is a free country and our citizens have the right to look like a fool if that is what makes them happy. :rofl:

troutster52 and Water-Rat like this.
  19. Bobby Leang

Bobby Leang Loaded Pockets

There will always be the mall commandos out there will every inch of their maxpedition packs loaded with pouches of chapstick, bandaids, and 2-pounds of zipper pulls (I always look for them on family road trips while I'm checking out packs.... :)). So, there's always cover now with those guys.

Fortunately, I think most reputable bag companies are actually very mindful about making a pack functional above everything - so it's really hard to tell who's who.

20. b yond

b yond Loaded Pockets

I wear 5.11 pants to work. I call it "business tactical." I'm not trying to impersonate an "operator," I just like the extra pockets, the stain resistance, and the gusseted crotch. Been wearing the same 2 pairs for 3+ years now. That's quality imho.

I have some maxpedition bags too, and for most of the same reasons (except the crotch gusset). Durability over tacticality.

My name is not Mark, and nobody robs me.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Shike, Dirty Rod and Water-Rat like this.