1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

When is ripping off okay?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by LivingUpNorth, Apr 13, 2014.

1. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

When catching up on the latest thread regarding Maxpedition ripping off the Skinth sheaths, I had to wonder...when is it acceptable to rip off someone else's product? When it's personal? When our personal budgets don't allow purchase of the original product? Or never?

I've read quite a bit of discussion on how much is sucks when no-name (or even brand name) manufacturers make their own Sebenza or TAD Gear jacket, how unethical that is, and so on. The defenses are varied, but inevitably, there are plenty of people that pick up the copied gear.

Now, when it comes to Maxped and the way they treated Jon, I easily get the personal reasons why we, as a group/forum, tend to bag on them. Given that, does it make it okay when low-budget airsoft companies (or anyone else) make blatant Maxped knock-offs?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Maxped or their treatment of Jon, it's just that I see a lot of both sides of the same issue around here and wondered what y'all's opinion of the matter is.

2. DESTRO

DESTRO Loaded Pockets

Subscribed

3. FighterZak

FighterZak Loaded Pockets

What happened between Maxped and Jon ? I have not been here a long time and don't know :(

4. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Personally, I don't like copies. When I want something, I want the original. Except MaxPerdition. For personal reasons I'm fine with them being copied. If I wanted it bad enough I'd buy the copy for those same personal reasons. I feel they will get what they deserve.
    On the same token, when I like an original product, I want them to get what they deserve...my money.

I've bought a copy of a knife (an Enlan) and once won a MaxPerdition Larkspur in a GAW here. I got rid of them both. I figured if it kept one more person from buying the Enlan then I was hampering Enlan's sales by one. The same for the Larkspur...I kept one more person from buying a Larkspur.

I know I can't always buy what I want, so I don't judge when someone else buys a copy, whether they wanted it or plain just couldn't afford the original...non of my business and if it gets the job done for them then great.

I know what works for me and thats where my money's going. I could buy another Enlan one day...perhaps a new one this time...(mine was on the BST), but you can't even give me a MaxPerdition product....I'll use it against them every time...one person at a time.

5. FlyersFanJV

FlyersFanJV Loaded Pockets

Go read this thread and you'll be caught up. Long story short, they threatened to sue him. http://edcforums.com/threads/maxpedition.58108/

SAKplumber likes this.
  6. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

7. FighterZak

FighterZak Loaded Pockets

Thats just stupid ... Maxped have lost a whole lot of customers ...

8. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

For my two cents, I stopped buying Maxpedition gear because of their owner's reprehensible behavior on this forum, not his "ripping off" of other people's designs. BTW, I canceled an order of a $2500 XCR for the same type of behavior by Mr. Robinson from Robinson Arms on his own forum.

But to return to your original question. I have seen questionable behavior from many Tactical Soft Goods companies, be they Maxpedition, Condor, Red Rock, Rothco, Fox Tactical, etc.. It seems to that other than the Software Industry, the Soft Goods industry is one of the biggest cesspools of "design ripoff artists" I have seen in many years. I have generally stuck with reputable companies and avoid "rip offs" where I can. Sometimes I have purchased products that I did not know were "rip offs" of other companies and those purchases have taught me to spend more time looking into a product before I just purchase it.

9. DavyJ

DavyJ Loaded Pockets

On copying of designs: if making something similar to something else is unethical then just about everything made is unethical to some degree. If Maxpedildo make a Skinth lookalike of decent quality then what is the problem? As long as they are not falsely branding it. Skinth (Metro) didn't invent the idea of a belt pouch. Are they copying someone else? Pepsi make a soft drink that is similar to Coca Cola. Are they ripping Coke off?

The point is that simply making similar designs is not a sign of a rip-off. It is more an acknowledgement of a successful design that is worth imitating. If it was not allowed then there would be just one of everything. Look around you. This is clearly not the case and never has been.

That aside, Maxthepiddle's other behaviour (regarding Jon and other customers) is unacceptable, but let's keep the design thing in perspective. The new pouches by Maxdepuddle do not look good anyway. You have choice, you have money: make your choice.

PS. Not defending MaxP here, just trying to remain unemotional. ;)

Tinfoil, xbanker, TECENG and 9 others like this.
  10. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

Good point. At which point is something a blatant rip-off vs. design imitation/improvement? I guess that's something for the patent lawyers to discuss. That said, we're not all patent lawyers, so we have to go with what limited information we have.

BarksAtCats likes this.
  11. automaticjack

automaticjack Loaded Pockets

I think they've got enough not to worry at the moment. People will still buy them because of the name, they're made in the US, they're expensive enough to have a certain cachet, they're well made/over engineered (you choose), etc, etc. But everything changes eventually.

SAKplumber and BarksAtCats like this.
  12. Grinch

Grinch Banned

:running:Yippee Ki Ya :timebomb:Maxpediton :timebomb: :frantic:

SAKplumber and BarksAtCats like this.
  13. catfishdan
    • In Omnia Paratus

catfishdan Loaded Pockets

I've personally ripped off ideas from several of you, but only for my personal use. Always try and give credit, too.
    If one was to sell these ripped off products, they would then be scum.

kertap75 and vegassprky like this.
  14. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

I hope my friend DavyJ is sitting down, but I tend to agree with what he said.

There really isn't much in this world that is new or innovative. Once in awhile, sure, but mostly, no. I mean, what was the last great innovation in hoodies? The hood?

Pouches are pouches and bags are bags, but when it is a very close copy, like a MOBIUS is to a Jumbo (karma is a :censored:), or these new tool pouches are to Skinths, it sort of leaves a bad taste in my mouth that is made even more unpalatable because of their history here.

15. DavyJ

DavyJ Loaded Pockets

Luckily I WAS sitting down (mainly coz I was having a think and I cannot manage standing and thinking at the same time).

However, I do have a very sore jaw from where it clattered onto the desk. :eek:

Quantum, SAKplumber, kertap75 and 2 others like this.
  16. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

I think it would be different if MAXp occasion produced something that was closely resembles something else, but it seems to me, the casual observer, that their design team are the employees and entrepreneurs that work somewhere else.

SAKplumber likes this.
  17. GQP

GQP Loaded Pockets

Molle Webbing
    Assisted Blade opening and Blade Locks
    Kydex Sheathes and Holsters
    Specific steels, plastics and nylons...

At some level, everything is copied. However, there is a difference between "inspired by" and "here is a cheaper exact copy to fool you into buying" products.

I have made and modified lots of items that were inspired by other designees. They usually have my own twists to meet my personal needs, but a few have been exact duplicates.

MTFatboy, T.H.Cone and kertap75 like this.
  18. medic2807

medic2807 Loaded Pockets

I was just on the Maxpud website and saw those blatant ripoffs. Blatant. The funny thing? The pricing. Very affordable. I smell an attempt to push Eric (who hand-makes a superior product) by pricing their products low. I cannot stand imitators. If you want to sell a lot of something, be an innovator like Eric Au. It helps to be a nice guy, which he is.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

19. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Why is no one bagging on Skinth for ripping off the U.S. military? Or, for that matter Maxpedition for doing the same? I think pouches go back before Skinth and Maxpedition. I'm not a fan of the Skinth stuff, since it doesn't fit my needs. I do own one Maxped item (not a pouch). If there's not a patent violation it simply doesn't qualify as a rip-off...bottom line and likes & dislikes aside.

20. rsitter

rsitter EDC Junkie!!!!!

i think some people get all up on their soap boxes because most of this stuff is a sort of status symbol (here at least), they've put their hard earned dollar into something and maybe dont wanna see someone 'cheat' their way to that status by buying knockoffs.

KODIAKman and Mumbojumboo like this.