1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

When do you sharpen your knives?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by bluesy_92, Aug 26, 2011.

1. bluesy_92

bluesy_92 Loaded Pockets

This is just a question out of curiosity. Personally, since I use a coffee mug to sharpen my knives, I can't get them shaving-sharp, so I try to get the paper-cut sharp. If they can't get a clean paper-cut, I sharpen them. I prefer to get them sharp enough that I can cut one cut that tapers into another without bunching when the cut gets too close to the edge, but as long as it's clean, I can work with it.

2. bladeblabber

bladeblabber Loaded Pockets

i sharpen my knives when they get dull.

haha but seriously, its good to sharpen them before they get extremely dull. i just strop them every time after i use them and i never even really need to sharpen them.

3. Minifcar

Minifcar Loaded Pockets

Once they don't cleanly slice paper. My wicked edge is currently in the mail, on it's way. I can't wait to try this out.

4. Nickortizzle1035

Nickortizzle1035 Loaded Pockets

yeah what he said!

5. Primate Tools

Primate Tools Loaded Pockets

I touch them up on a leather strop and polishing compound whenever they fail to "pop" hair.

6. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

When they no longer feel sharp, or have done a lot of work that particular day.

7. jcc

jcc Banned

When they don't perform for the task at hand. Otherwise you're unnecessarily removing steel, changing the geometry of your blade (unless you thin out the secondary as well when you sharpen), and wasting time better spent in the world.

8. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Sundays at 7:00PM, 8:00 Central.

9. sweetdaddyroses

sweetdaddyroses Loaded Pockets

just this week i got a spyderco tri-angle sharpmaker with the optional diamond and ultra fine stones. thus far it has proven to be the best investment i have ever made for sharpening knives. and, trust me, i have made many an investment in various sharpening rods, stones, and other gimmicky devices. none of which even came close to achieving what the sharpmaker has accomplished in the very first attempt!

so, in an effort to answer your question, and as others have already mentioned, i previously only sharpened my knives when i was ready to embrace the frustration of spending a great deal of time in exchange for such a little reward. despite having years of sharpening experience on arkansas stones and the like i rarely succeeded in achieving that "hair popping" result that others spoke of. in other words, i hated to sharpen my knives!

now, since receiving my sharpmaker, it seems like i'm sharpening one of my 30 plus knives almost everyday. of course, not the same ones everyday. with the sharpmaker, working my way down to the ultra fine stones, i am now getting the results that had previously eluded me. now i too have knives, many knives, that cause the hairs on my arms and legs to just surrender rather than be popped off by one of my ridiculously sharp edges! they just jump right off my arm!

short answer: when my edges don't scare the hair anymore!

10. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

Usually after some light use. I can't stand super dull knives so I touch them up ASAP after use.

11. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

+1 on that yeah. My favorite knives I buy in twos and threes. I just swap to a sharp one and then touch-up two or three (or more) knives at a time.

12. BRO

BRO Loaded Pockets

I try to strop mine each day that I use my knife. A few very light swipes on black compound and then I switch over to just a plain leather strop. Keeps the edges clear, clean and sharper.

13. Minifcar

Minifcar Loaded Pockets

14. Satanta

Satanta Empty Pockets

I never really learned the tecgnique of sharpening so got an Accusharp sharpener after doing a bit of research.

My cooking knives a filet knife, cleaver and a Santoku get sharpened either every other use or during use if I am doing a lot of work. [[I do a lot of canning and dehydrating along with 99% of the cooking.]]

My EDC multitool about once a week depending on use and my other assortments also depend on use but rarely used.

15. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Whenever their performance is notably diminished. Maybe a day, maybe a month or more in between.

16. gdogs

gdogs Loaded Pockets

Since buying an EdgePro, I hardly ever need to sharpen my knives. It will get them crazy sharp, and quickly at that.

17. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

As needed, before/after a road trip and multiple use. Mostly it's just swipes on the fine ceramic rods.