1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

When do you no longer wear presription eyeglasses?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by IThinkTooMuch, Jul 6, 2016.

1. IThinkTooMuch

IThinkTooMuch Loaded Pockets

At what point do you no longer need to wear prescription eyeglasses? I was originally somewhat myopic, but as I get older, my prescription is reversing itself (presbyopia?) . My last checkup put my right eye and 20/35 and my left at 20/25. Legal to drive, but not by much. At what point, 20/??, do you say that the extra visual acuity isn't worth the cost and hassle of prescription glasses.

ran23 likes this.
  2. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I'm experiencing the same phenomenon. I'd say it's a personal call once you're inside the legal parameters. If you can comfortably read road signs at normal speeds, you're probably good to go.

3. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

I was 20/400 until spring 2001. Then LASIK set me up for 20/15 until a few years ago. Now I'm 20/25 but since I turned 50 this year I tend to get dry eyes more. My wife who is 12 years younger than me had PRK done and now she needs glasses to drive.

I think Tesla made a good point. Once you are inside the legal limits, it's going to be up to you and where you feel comfortable driving without them.

4. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

20/30? 20/400? Is this another one of those silly things you imperials made up?

My eyes are pretty bad and i have a annotation on my drivers license that i need visual aids to be allowed (and able) to drive any vehicle but my wife has only slightly wonky eyesight and she can drive just fine without glasses and with glasses she actually sees way over averag. It really depends on what you are comfortable with and is still safe i guess.

5. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I even have to use prescription swim goggles. Ended up in the men's locker room accidentally once. Mine just keep getting worse.

Sent by owl post.

Isla TX, Replete and ran23 like this.
  6. Westerdutch

Oh i need to remember that one....

Isla TX likes this.
  7. captainamerica

captainamerica Loaded Pockets

For me wearing Rx is about good, crisp, clear vision..........and less headaches and effort trying to focus to see things, especially in the low light and close up. I'll always have to have Rx so it's now a way of life with no alternatives short of an apocalyptic movie scene coming to real life and having no Rx to use.

sungame likes this.
  8. Tbird

Tbird Loaded Pockets

I'd say also your work environment,etc would come into play. If you are in places where lighting is not ideal every little bit helps.

9. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

If you can't find your glasses without your glasses, you need your glasses. Pretty sure this has formed the basis of several college level philosophy courses.

Then of course, there is the advanced level course based on the notion, you can't find your glasses without your glasses, so you are forced to resort to your prescription sunglasses. However, since that makes things so dark indoors, you are forced to bring out your flashlight..... to find your glasses.

ATB,
    Sam

10. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

my eye sight is so bad the DMV mandates i wear my glasses when driving. my left eye was rated at 20/20 and my right eye is supposedly two feet short but without my glasses i cant see details within 15ft (rough estimate) in front of me. that said i think the big plus's is that i can read license plates, see J walkers, identify what people are holding in their hands and can sit in the back of my class.

the only time I take my glasses off is when im at home or in bed since usually im on my tablet.

11. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

My license also has a note saying I have to wear corrective lenses while driving. If I remember correctly my last pair of glasses were ground to -3.75. At this point I'm so used to either wearing glasses or contacts that I would probably continue doing so unless I was 20/20, then maybe I would go without but just as likely I would wear glasses with unground lenses so I could satisfy the habit of reaching for them and putting them on every morning.

Once you're in the legal limits, though, it's a question of when you're comfortable driving without glasses. If you're not, wear glasses, and if you are, don't. It's up to you.

12. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

When will I stop wearing eye glasses? When I am dead, that's when.

13. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Not very subtly put, perhaps, and I am not certain whether this has anything to do with the other Imperial units of measurement, but I believe you are on to something. I certainly think that the above is a purely US way of describing eyesight and the lack thereof. As a European, I have absolutely no idea of how to read these numbers, other than a vague notion that 20/20 is good.

In European terms, I believe that anything more than +/- 0,5 would mean that you would probably benefit from wearing glasses at least in certain situations (reading, driving, low light, using a computer, shooting, boxing etc.).

This is all too familiar. And definitely true. I am rather myopic, -4,75. Add to that a rather hopeless night vision, and you can see (no pun intended) why I always knock something over trying to find my glasses when something goes "bump" in the night.

I am not blind without glasses or contacts. I can walk around the house without bumping into too much of the furniture, but I am pretty useless for anything else. For example, I cannot read without visual aids, and using knives would be downright dangerous.

However, I guess a big part of it is what you are used to, and how you compensate. In my kickboxing days I had a sparring partner who used to ride a motorcycle to class. He always wore glasses when he arrived, and kept them on for the warm up, pads work etc. But before sparring sessions, he removed his glasses ... and proceeded to cunningly slip punches past my guard and hit me rather accurately on the nose. One day, I asked him how bad his eyesight was. He matter of factly answered that his glasses were -7,75! To this day, I have absolutely no idea how he could spar so well without wearing contacts, but he sure did.

Lellobeetle likes this.
  14. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

After my mother had both eyes done for cataracts she no longer needed her contact lenses. She had worn them since teenage years and glasses before since childhood. It wasn't just cataracts, the surgeon corrected something and that enabled all of it. She was in her late 70s and it was amazing for her. I'm very near sighted with no hope of correcting except Lasik surgery which I dont care to have done. I wear glasses.

15. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

Same here. I don't mind my glasses, but have to replace them regularly.

TKC likes this.
  16. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Clearly with him the force was!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

sungame likes this.
  17. Getahl

Getahl Loaded Pockets

I wore glasses from the second ,grade, until I was nearly 28. Toward the end, my vision was -7.5 in one eye, -7.75 in the other. The numbers might be a little fuzzy, as that was eight years ago. My vision was basically was super fuzzy, and I couldn't live without glasses. Tried contacts a couple times, and no dice.

A few months before my wedding in 2008, I got photo refractive keratotamy, or PRK. My cornea is too thin for Lasik, so they cut around the perimeter of my eye, peeled back the cornea, did whatever it is they do, and put it back the way it was. They do this one eye at a time, each operation two weeks apart. It was pretty funny having one lens poked out of my glasses for two weeks.

The end result is the same as Lasik, only a six week recuperation for each eye, instead of a couple days. For a few years, my left eye was stronger, 20/20, and my right was slightly fuzzier. Funny thing is, fairly recently, my vision seems to have gotten sharper, and my last two eye appointments have came out 20/20 in both eyes.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

18. Westerdutch

Oh, little segway here but an awesome trick i learned is to use your cellphone in situations where you cannot find your glasses! Just turn on your camera and stick the screen a feet in front of your eyes to see around and even zoom in on stuff (-4,75/-6.25 here so that's about as far as i can see sharp without aid). Its awkward as freck and when you start walking around like that it feels like one of those bad 3d simulation goggle things with the only (big) difference that you will actually hit all the furniture you try to walk 'past' but it works a treat when looking for something like.. well... your glasses for example. Downside is that you first need to be able to find your cellphone but hey, its a case of doubling your odds ;) Cellphone camera's are just so good nowadays.....

And yeah, that 20/20 thing is pretty useless. You cant walk into a store and ask for a pair of 17/20 glasses so you can see better. Im pretty sure even in the US they use the proper focal parameters but i think that's just way too scientific for the US people to use in regular speaks...

Moshe ben David likes this.
  19. captainamerica

captainamerica Loaded Pockets

I think I'm stuck wearing Rx the rest of my life, especially the bifocals to read. I also use the smart phone and light function to see certain things from time to time. I don't recall if my Rx doctor said why but I'm thinking a few years ago he said I might be a future cataracts patient........if I live long enough.

20. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

The vision ratio is actually a more intuitive way of describing eyesight, if not a little cumbersome. It is a ratio of the distance at which you can read something to the distance at which a person with "normal" eyesight can read something. If a person has 20/100 vision they can read at 20 feet what they should be able to read at 100 feet - bad vision. On the other hand, if they have 20/15 vision, they can read at 20 feet what most people could read at 15 feet - above-average vision.

In the US, eyeglass prescriptions are written in this nomenclature, but it is not intuitively relative to anything tangible.

Moshe ben David likes this.