1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

When answering PM's from an E-Mail notification.

Discussion in 'MEMBER RULES, GUIDELINES & ANNOUNCEMENTS' started by JonSidneyB, Aug 17, 2011.

1. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

When you get an E-Mail notification about a PM if you answer the E-Mail instead of going to the person that sent the PM it is an error and ends up going to me. I will not know that it is a PM intended for someone else until I open it.

Be sure when you get an E-Mail notification about a PM go into you PM box to reply.

2. Belush2
    • The Omnia Paratus

Belush2 EDC Junkie!!!!!

For the new members and anyone whom has not yet ever received a PM...

I thought I would post this example of what you will see when you get a copy of a P.M. sent to your e-mail address.
    As this is a Personal Message sent to you from another member, Moderator, or Administrator from the forum.

**Please do not reply to the e-mail directly from your e-mail account.**
    **You will need to log on to the forum to reply to the PM as stated in the message instructions sent to you.**

Your understanding and cooperation with this format will alleviate a lot of unneccessary & avoidable e-mails that Jon ends up with. In which case forces him to take time for him to act upon.
    This really eats into his daily time management schedule, and hence is quite counter productive for him.

\/ \/ \/ The following is an Example \/ \/ \/

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL!

Dear (EDCF Member),

You have received a new private message at edcforums.com from (EDCF Member), entitled "Re: (How ya doing??)...".

To read the original version, respond to, or delete this message, you must log in here:
    http://edcforums.com/private.php

This is the message that was sent:
    Xxxxx Blah Blah Blah Xxxxx
    XX Yahda Yahda Yahda XXXXXXXX
    etc. etc. etc.

Again, please do not reply to this email. You must go to the following page to reply to this private message:
    http://edcforums.com/private.php

All the best,
    edcforums.com
    I hope this helps everyone :thumbsup:

3. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

Admins needs to change the email address from which these notifications are sent, so that they get bounced back when people try to respond to them. Or send from an email address that autoresponds with PM response instructions. These emails should not make it to Jon's email address, because they should not be sent from Jon's email address.

You must know, understand, and take into account the fact that there is a zero chance that every present and future member of the forum will read, understand, and remember the instructions in this thread.

Responding to an emailed PM notification is a very common ******* mistake made by members of every single forum on the internet. This will never change, people will keep doing it. You can't count on members to fix this problem, admin needs to handle it.

Send the notification emails from a dead email address, or one that autoresponds with PM response instructions. These emails should not be routed to Jon's mailbox (or anyone else's).

4. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

How this works is the forum generates the email if you have notifications activated so it has to come from the forum. vB only has one internal email address for software functions.

The forum e-mails a PM notification or if you subscribe to a thread and I don't see these. That address also emails me if there are data base errors or any other error that happens on the forum. If you send an email to that address it does send it to me the same as it does with error message for the forums software.

I am not sure how to fix this so that it doesn't behave this way I know it will require custom coding and a bunch of custom coders quit working on vB when vB4 came out. Since we are soon changing software I will see if anyone knows how to modify it on the new software.

We have managed several months where not a single one was replied to, it has been on the increase lately.