1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What's your method of keeping up with multiple time zones?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by ?uesto, Sep 26, 2010.

1. ?uesto

?uesto Loaded Pockets

I'm coming back to Florida from Utah by way of Texas; three tine zones.

I travel quite often, more recently through mutliple time zones, and I found a good system for keeping up with what time it is where.

My iPod Touch remains on Florida time, my phone automatically changes wherever I am, and I set my watch to where I'll soon be next, (if on the plane), or currently are.

I know of multiple time zone watches and I know Fidel Castro always wore two Rolexes; one on Cuban time, the other on Moscow's.

So what do you do?

2. t0mcat

t0mcat Loaded Pockets

Suunto Core has dual time, works for me.
    I have the bottom (smaller) time in Zulu, the big clock in local time.

3. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

cell phone or computer

4. freedoom

freedoom Loaded Pockets

I leave my laptop on EST where I live and my phone automatically sets itself to the time zone I'm traveling to. I adjust my watch accordingly when i travel.

5. ?uesto

?uesto Loaded Pockets

I've been considering getting a multi-time zone watch. What are some that you guys like, (aside from the Suunto^^^)

6. mr.hauser

mr.hauser Loaded Pockets

I am partial to my Pathfinder PAW-2000 for a travel watch. ABC functions, multiple timezones, sunrise/ sunset, 5 alarms, countdown timer, solar powered, atomic syncing.

7. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

Be happy that you're only dealing with US time zones - once you get to other countries, some of which don't have daylight savings time, some have half hour increments, and some countries' rules keep changing - it starts to go completely bonkers. When the US switched its DST schedule a few years back that was pretty bad, now imagine it for every country! It's enough to drive someone insane!

Oh yeah my point was that simple hour increment differences will only get you so far. I use my iPhone and I hope the time zone rules are up to date.

8. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

My smart phone allows me to program a list of time zones, & I just select the applicably one to be shown....

9. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Going to Singapore I carried two watches - my normal watch on my wrist which I set to local time for wherever I was in my journey (home/airport transfers/destination) plus a second watch with world time (a Casio G Shock in my case) which I could use to keep an accurate base time (left set at home time) plus switching cities as I went to tell me what the local time should be.

The one problem I did have was that the G ended up having DST set for Singapore despite the fact that Singapore doesn't observe DST, so I was an hour out until I compared against a local clock and realised - it turns out that DST needs to be set manually in world time (it should update itself when atomically synced for home time).

If I travelled often then something like the Rolex GMT would be ideal - leave the watch set to home time then the GMT time set to local, sadly I don't travel enough to really need such a watch, and couldn't afford one if I did...

10. SuperTrouper

SuperTrouper Loaded Pockets

I use Dashboard Widgets on the computers I use as I frequently converse, and do business with, people from several different timezones. I also have a feature on my iPhone's clock to keep clocks for various timezones open to view.

11. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

12. fallow

fallow Loaded Pockets

Agreed. When travelling multiple timezones a casio gshock is the only way to go, even if the time is out by an hour, ie DST, at least you know the time (within 1 hour of accuracy) until you can get a better indication of the local time. Australia is a long way from most places so when I travel internationally I can go through some serious time zone changes.

13. Mike V

Mike V Loaded Pockets

14. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

When I travel across the US (or a few time zones) if I'm going to be gone from home for just a couple of days, I stay on my personal (home) time. No point screwing up the internal clock.

For more than a few days I'll consider switching.

15. rckshrk

rckshrk Loaded Pockets

Citizen Skyhawk for me. Has pre-programmed time zones plus the option of setting up your own custom cities. When it's time to switch tiem zones it's just a matter of scrolling through the cities until you find what you are looking for and pressing a button to adjust your watch appropriately. Additionally, you can display two time zones at once by have the analog display one time zone and the digital set to another time zone which is what I normally do if I'm only going to be in a time zone for only a day or two. Another bonus is the three alarms you have available to you which are easily set and are time zone specific.

It's a great watch-- Ti plus solarpower with a 4yr battery reserve. Love it.

16. spaceman

spaceman Loaded Pockets

On my android phone I use several instances of myUTCclock which allows me to display several timezones at the same time (with labels).

17. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

something like this
    http://watchshock.com/archive/Casio/G-Shock/G-2xx/G-200-2E/

there are a lot of casio watches that have hands (don't know what it's called in english) and digital time. Most have a dual time feature on the digital clock so you actually have 3 to choose from. I would set the time on the hands part of the watch to where I'm at, and leave the digital part at home time.