1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What's your go to 9mm Ammo?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Carcass, Dec 16, 2016.

1. gadgetjunky

gadgetjunky Loaded Pockets

Hydra Shok is somewhat worse about plugging up in a number of heavy clothing tests. Several of the newer designs (Gold Dots if loaded hot enough and HST ) are much more tolerant of heavy clothing / intermediate materials and give more consistent performance across a wider range of uses.

For range ammo if I was buying it would probably be Federal, CCI Lawman, Prvi, or the Winchester 9mm NATO stuff. I have experienced erratic QC with Remington UMC and Winchester USA in recent years.

For more serious uses i like Gold Dot 124 +p or HST 124/124+p/147. Which Somewhat depends on the particular gun and barrel length, if one load shoots distinctly better, etc. I have one that loves HST and groups badly with Gold Dots, and another that does the exact opposite. YMMV

A large agency here was using Gold Dot 147 but always weren't happy with performance out of subcompacts and is switching to the Winchester Ranger 127 +p+. Another large agency here was at one time shooting the Winchester Ranger and letting officers pick if they preferred the 147 or the 127 +p+. Another big local agency here that just transitioned back from .40 S&W to 9mm is now using the Hornady 135 +p Critical Duty.

2. Mark_Trail

Mark_Trail Loaded Pockets

Sellier&Bellot FMJ

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Kinzei
    • In Omnia Paratus

Kinzei EDC Junkie

124g Aguila for the range, 147g HST for my G-19, 150g HST for micro pistols for the G-43.

4. 1Zach1

1Zach1 Loaded Pockets

Range: Whatever is around
    Carry: Currently 147gr Winchester Ranger T, but since they seem to be pretty hard to find now I might move over to 147gr Federal HST and see how my Sig likes them.

5. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

The first 147gr I tried was Ranget T, but now use HST exclusively. None of my guns have noticed the difference. I got a Sig p320 and shoot the HST 147 out of it with no issues

6. Andy T

Andy T Loaded Pockets

147 gr Winchester RA9T. I try to buy ammo that has been tested by Doc Gr.

7. Motorcopm4

Motorcopm4 Empty Pockets

Cheapest 115g I can find to shoot and 147g HST or 124g gold dot. Whatever's avail for carry

8. soulknight

soulknight Loaded Pockets

124gr +P Gold Dot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. CIVSD

CIVSD Loaded Pockets

For the range I normally use S&B FMJs since they're relatively cheap around here and feed reliably, but honestly I would fire whatever just to plink around. For carry ammo I have the Liberty Civil Defense 2000fps lead free 50g. It's a fragmenting round similar to G2 RIP. It technically doesn't make the 12"-18" rule but the petals split off beautifully after a few inches in the gel and then the base travels to around 11". Due to the high velocity this stuff can also penetrate IIIA. Personally I would rather have a fragmenting round that underpenetrates slightly than risk any over-penetration at all.