1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What's your go to 9mm Ammo?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Carcass, Dec 16, 2016.

1. CDKJudoka

CDKJudoka Loaded Pockets

Range - Winchester 124gr NATO
    Carry - Federal HST 124gr +P

JoeLiberty likes this.
  2. Chris_1001

Chris_1001 Loaded Pockets

Tula Brass Max (100 round cans)
    Blazer Brass

These are my go to ones for the range and IDPA.

For carry I shake it up. but Corbon +P's are what I have loaded in my defensive 9mm's

joshwhoha likes this.
  3. Zirk208

Zirk208 Loaded Pockets

Range- Whatever is cheap but still brass cased (Federal, Herter's, S&B, Winchester, Blazer, etc)
    Defense- Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P.

Carried in a Glock 26 and an HK USPc

4. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

For the range, whatever 9mm is cheapest generally. Otherwise, 124 grain Federal Hydra-Shok. There might be better choices today but I know they feed and I'm not spending the money to test another round in the very unlikely event I'd actually need to use the weapon in a defensive scenario.

joshwhoha and ran23 like this.
  5. Shike

Shike Loaded Pockets

IMO that is the best reason to spend the $, in the unlikely event that I'd actually need to use the weapon in a defensive scenario.

twin63 and joshwhoha like this.
  6. joshwhoha

joshwhoha Loaded Pockets

Holes in paper; Perfecta mostly, occasionally Wolf, but Perfecta is surprisingly accurate especially at the price.

Serious social purposes; 150gr HST Micro, 124+P XTP, 135+P FlexLock, whatever I find that's a good deal. Ballistically I like the mid-weight +P stuff best.

I only have 2 pistols at the moment, but they both chew through everything I throw in 'em. I'm not a gamer so I don't need a certain power factor, or brass-cased for reloading; I go for what's inexpensive and I know will run well based on prior use. I COULD run Winchester or AE 124s @ $12-$15 a box, but why should I when my guns run Perfecta and Wolf @ less than $10 a box just as reliably and accurately? I don't need scalpel precision at 50 yards, I need the nasal cavity/ocular cavity 0-12yds and the upper thoracic cavity at every handgun distance beyond that, and that's exactly what I get.
    Is there something wrong with these budget-friendly FMJ offerings that no one's ever told me?

Buckeye Jake likes this.
  7. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

Practice: Whatever is cheapest
    Carry: Speer Gold Dot G2

8. city four

city four Empty Pockets

Practice; Winchester white box
    Street; Winchester ranger +P+ 127gr.

9. MountainMedic

MountainMedic Loaded Pockets

I use whatever for the range....usually Federal or WWB bulk stuff from wally world. For carry I use 150gr Federal HST micro rounds in my M&P Shield and currently have 135gr Hornady Critical Duty FlexLock ammo in the HK P30S.

10. Carcass

Carcass Loaded Pockets

I feel like I shoot better with the 124g opposed to the 115g. Is that possible or me overthinking things?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. sjducks

sjducks Loaded Pockets

I hit the range with whatever cheap FMJ i have on hand. For carry I have HSTs or Gold Dots (124 or 147g).

12. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

It's entirely possible. The point of impact can definitely be different between 115gr and 124gr bullets.

Shike likes this.
  13. tacos3

tacos3 Loaded Pockets

range or competition: I load my own. 9mm is 147g plated round nose. 45acp is 200g plated round nose.
    carry: 9mm is 147g Federal HST, 45acp is 230g HST

14. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Range = whatever. I shoot a lot of Freedom Munitions, Winchester White, S&B, Herters, PMC....The list goes on. One of these days I may start loading my own. I have about 10,000+ pieces of once fired 9mm brass just taking up a bunch of space right now.

SD/HD = 124gr +P Speer Gold Dot or HST's. I don't compromise in this area.

15. Sinkhole

Sinkhole Loaded Pockets

I have several I use often. For range time it's Blazer Brass, Speer Lawman, Sig Sauer Elite or Federal American Eagle.
    For SD/HD It's one or more of the following Federal HST, Sig Sauer Elite, HPR XTP or Hornady Critical Defense or Federal Hydra-Shok.
    My guns are currently load as follows.
    S&W M&P45: 45 ACP: Sig Sauer Elite 185Gr.
    S&W M&P9c: 9mm: Sig Sauer Elite 147Gr.
    Sig Sauer P320c: 9mm: Sig Sauer Elite 147Gr.
    FNX-9: 9mm: Federal HST 124Gr.
    SP101 3": 357 Magnum: Sig Sauer Elite 125Gr.
    Ruger LCP: 380 ACP: Federal Hydra-Shok 90Gr.

I prefer 124Gr. 9mm, 125Gr. 357 Magnum, 185Gr. 45 ACP

16. PhrankKastle

PhrankKastle Loaded Pockets

I used to use only Speer Lawman 147gr TMJ or Federal American Eagle 147gr FMJ for the range and Speer Gold Dot 147gr or Federal HST 147gr for carry. All my guns shoot slightly better with the Speer loads and over this past Christmas season I was able to stock enough Lawman and Gold Dot that they are now exclusively my training and carry loads.

My carry rotation is my Sig P320 compact or Sig P225A primary and my Walther PPS M2 as my backup except at work when the Sigs are locked up in a safe in my locker at work and the PPS is then my primary get to my locker in a :censored: moment gun.

I did pick up a Beretta PX4 Storm compact 9mm which I'm currently waiting to get to the range to possibly work into my rotation as well. So far I've had one range session with it and I'm very impressed.

17. nolaradio

nolaradio Loaded Pockets

Anything cheap. I've run steel case, brass case, nylon jacketed, whatever at the range. Protection rounds are Federal HST. If it's good enough for my local police department then it's good enough for me.
    If you can find some for $. 20/round in brass, buy all you can afford.

Sent from the Bayou Bunker Command Center, Portable Unit #33, FEMA Region 6.

18. hawk321

hawk321 Empty Pockets

Become is great, couldn't be happier and the price is perfect.....At least where and when I bought it. Read it was the ammo used for idpa (?....Hey, I'm old) and thought if it's reliable enough for them it must be good to go. Two manufacturing locations, Swiss(?) and Hungary (?) (Maybe Germany and chech). Don't know if it makes any difference, but the stuff I got was 100% reliable. Mainly used for the range, but would have no problems stacking between HP's. Been using surplus NATO 124's for that.....However I've every confidence that GECO is reliable enough for defense. For short barrels or 16", NATO isn't necessarily best and geco shines

Personally find of fed hst 124gr +P...Cheap enough to practise with, good match for NATO 124gr and far MORE accurate than winch ranger T.....Which id never recommend to anyone I liked.

Because I feed 2" - 16" barbells, one solution isn't necessarily best. I really like the Hornady critical defense 135gr. Before HST (and when it's totally unavailable) I went Hornady because of its price. Performance was always up there with the best , yet the price was best. Still not cheap enough to practise with on a VA budget, but fine defensive ammo. Wish I could remember all the Hornady I've used, the latest has a little red plastic in the HP, but the older ones were also excellent.

Long story short, fed

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

19. Frailer

Frailer Loaded Pockets

I use Speer Lawman 115 grain for practice and competition. It's cheap ($10-11 per box when purchased by the case), exceptionally reliable, and it is ballistically matched to my Gold Dot 115 grain carry load.

Shike likes this.
  20. hawk321

hawk321 Empty Pockets

Become is great???? Sorry, auto correct gone mad. Geco is great, I've not had a single problem with them. Haven't really done any distance accuracy tests but it's seems fine. I use particular calibers specifically because of surplus ammo, but that means 124+P....Close anyway, so it's geco for all the other weights/+P etc

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk