1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What's your favorite slip joint?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Koto, Dec 25, 2014.

1. godzilla78

godzilla78 Loaded Pockets

2. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

I bought the knife like this. It was a custom job by our friend Syph007. Give him a shout, and I bet he can fix you right up.

Adahn likes this.
  3. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

:eek: What??!!!?
    No Peanut??? :frantic:

;)

Gravy likes this.
  4. BalancedEdge

BalancedEdge Loaded Pockets

I personally don't like slip joints, which is why I no longer use SAKs, but if I were to buy one, I think I'd have to go with the Spyderco Terzuola SLIPIT, because it looks so awesome and I've not yet owned carbon fiber.

AK Adventurer likes this.
  5. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Unfortunately not. Age and some arthritis has made the peanut a little to hard to deal with, with stiff and sometimes painful finger joints. I've also had to retire my 50 year old Cross pen in favor of a Pilot G2 with the rubber comfort grip. This aging thing is getting on my nerves!!!

AK Adventurer likes this.
  6. AK Adventurer

Ahh.
    Totally understand.
    I've been lucky so far in that my arthritis has limited itself to the approx. area between my kidneys and my knees... And thats bad enough, I am not looking forward to the days when my arms and hands start to go!

7. AK Adventurer

FYI, there is a full line of larger Vic SAKs that do lock, at least the blade does.. :)

BalancedEdge likes this.
  8. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG]
    Vic and spyderco :)

9. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

My favorite slipjoint I guess is the Victorinox Alox Cadet, since I always have it with me. I have many others that I also carry but if I had to pick one, that would be it.

10. Invictus

Invictus Loaded Pockets

Mine is currently the Enzo PK70. The great fit and finish is what draws me to this blade every time.

[​IMG]

That, or either any of my alox Victorinox knives, really. Pictured is a Wenger SI.

[​IMG]

Cheers!

sungame, Dr. Bahn and thekapow like this.
  11. AK Adventurer

I hope you do too! I know replacements are never "the same", and I'd go batty if I ever lost my Peanut...

Its been a constant companion, I'd say not carried for maybe only a month total in the last ~8 years, it was even my only carried knife for about a year... Hands down, without a doubt my top favorite!

Its all jackknife 's fault as well, his postings about Peanuts at BFs traditional forum made me get this knife, and as they say, the rest is history! :cool:

Circle C Bluegrass bone TrueSharp SS Case Peanut.
    [​IMG]

(can't beat the classics, A Case peanut, a Missouri Meerscham corn cob, and CCR on Vinyl!)

My next favorite is a bit different, one I've had almost as long as the other, almost ~7 years, but had only carried more than once or twice a year until this last summer... Now it gets a Lot of carry and use! 1 of 6 hand built prototype Folding Hunter, Stag and 154CM, by Amherst Cutlery.

[​IMG]

12. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

AK Adventurer
    Found it! After about a month and a half AWOL stint my Peanut is back in my hands. It was stuck in a recliner and, thankfully, seems no worse for wear.
    For a little history on my little pal ( ;) ), I bought this at the local hardware store back in probably 2008-2009 or so as a replacement for my yella delrin CV mini trapper that I had carried for a while before. This hardware store was one of the mom and pop places that had been around for generations, with the creaking, worn, stained wooden floors, the two tier wood, glass and red felt Case display at the cash register and the kind of people and inventory that made sure you had everything you needed for any task, from cutting food (they carried Old Hickory kitchen knives) to building a house. It sadly closed about two years ago, run out of business by Lowe's presumably. I carried the Nut for a few days and couldn't get used to the feel of it, so I went back to my Mini Trapper and put the Nut into storage for a bit, only to pull it out after reading jackknife's stories on BF and getting curious about the little marvel we call a Peanut. Since then, the blade has been sharpened away a bit, the bone has smoothed out quite a bit, it's gathered dings and scratches from use and carrying in a pocket with various and sundry other metal items, and both blades have earned a dark charcoal grey, non reflective patina that isn't unlike a smooth version of Parkerization IMHO. The pull is lighter now from use, but it's got tons of life left in it.
    I actually think this is my favorite knife of all time, and it's been carried enough to show it.

Buckeye Jake and AK Adventurer like this.
  13. Gravy

Gravy Loaded Pockets

I'm still enamored with my red Cadet, but I'm sure my next slipjoint purchase will be my -favorite- too. ;)

14. 8steve88

8steve88 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

These two are my favourites right now, closely followed by

[​IMG]

If I want a larger slipjoint then the Boker Magnum Majestic is taken out for the exercise.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dr. Bahn and Adahn like this.
  15. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

I really like the M1, beautiful unique design, smooth G10, rounded spine.
    What I didn't like is that it's tip down carry only so I thought to try the, as I thought improved version, 9055 in brown-green with the orange backspacer. Sadly the quality is not on the M1s level and the thumb stud is not removable which makes it difficult to round the edges a bit. I guess I must drill and tap 3 holes for the clip someday to make the M1 tip up because I really like that knife for flower chopping - perfect weight and blade shape for that job and legal to carry in Germany :)

thekapow likes this.
  16. quickster47
    • In Omnia Paratus

quickster47 Loaded Pockets

Why in the world do they call them 'SlipJoint" knives?

Carl

thekapow likes this.
  17. Antithetik
    • In Omnia Paratus

Antithetik EDC Junkie!!!!!

18. quickster47
    • In Omnia Paratus

quickster47 Loaded Pockets

Okay, I think I found the reason we call them 'Slip Joint' knives.

Carl

"Most pocket knives for light duty are slipjoints. This means that the blade does not lock but, once opened, is held in place by tension from a flat bar or leaf-type backspring that allows the blade to fold if a certain amount of pressure is applied. The first spring-back knives were developed around 1660 in England, but were not widely available until the arrival of the Industrial Revolution and the development of machinery capable of mass production. Most locking knives have only one blade that is as large as can be fitted into the handle, because the locking mechanism relies on the spring along the back of the blade to lock it and it is difficult to build in multiple levers, one for each blade. Slipjoints tend to be smaller than other typical pocket knives."

Dr. Bahn, thekapow and Adahn like this.
  19. Gravy

Gravy Loaded Pockets

I think the confusion comes from WHY it's called "Slip joint".... I was wondering the same thing too, where does the name actually come from?

Adahn and thekapow like this.
  20. Ace Krampus

Ace Krampus Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Probably this one right now. It WAS my UKPK, before I lost it about a month ago. I'm still holding out hope it'll turn up before I order another. Or maybe I'll get the Spy-DK so I don't technically end up doubling up even if I do find it.