1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What's your favorite Self Defense weapon for home? --no guns

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by Shelby, Aug 16, 2009.

1. liljohn

liljohn Loaded Pockets

Sorry BarksAtCats i have to disagree with you if someone is in my home uninvited and a threat to me then I in a defensive position. It does not put you in an offensive position.

I do like your solid doors concept and will see where I can apply that effectively.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  2. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

I still have some 2 and 3 cell MagLites from my days as an unwashed heathen. One by each door and one by the bed. I rarely run them, I just keep them for clonking people. And no one can say I was pre-staging weapons! They're flashlights!! (Not that that's a problem in my state...YMMV)

ManVsLawn, CSM-101 and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  3. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Two Escrima sticks. Offensive. Defensive. I don't really care what it is called as long as I'm the one left standing. And I WILL put someone DOWN with these sticks; likely unconscious, bleeding, or both.

4. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Katana
    Tomahawk
    Machete
    Baseball bat
    WD-40 and a lighter :D

5. snowkiwi
    • The Omnia Paratus

snowkiwi EDC Junkiwi

These aren't specifically for defence.
    But I have a
    long D cell maglite and
    well made umbrella at the front door.
    A 4 ft Rotisserie shaft with spikes at the end inside the back door near the BBQ.
    BBQ forks.
    kitchen knives
    Ninja assassin trained butler hiding in the wardrobe - no wait thats from a movie.

Cobra 6 Actual, microbe and Nick4305 like this.
  6. Nick4305
    • The Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

My wife.
    She's a dangerous "weapon", be sure. :)
    Nick

7. IThinkTooMuch

IThinkTooMuch Loaded Pockets

I'm going to third the idea of a hardened "bunker" room.
    Physical security: A solid core door, and Class 1 or 2 deadbolt mounted high up (above head level makes kick ins near impossible), door lock wrap, heavy duty hinges, a high strength strikeplate on the door frame, security film on the windows, anti-lift screws in the window frame, unpleasant flora (agave, thorn bushes) under the window, and a dowel backing up the original window lock.

Communications: Cell phone (plug cell phone into charger in the room at night), corded land line, panic button attached to exterior strobe and siren.

Melee weapon of choice: I like impact weapons and bright lights for "bump in the night" situations because I can tailor the level of force and they're not necessarily lethal. Guns and cutting weapons tend to be "one-mistake" weapons (Killing or maiming the neighbor's juvenile oxygen thief is generally frowned upon). The physical security measures will stop anybody who is not a very real threat from getting to where your family is bunkered. Keep a second unpleasant tool handy for that (I had a 22" machete in college).

For that matter, with the exception of a head level deadbolt, the physical security measures should be put on all possible points of entry.

8. wrath0r
    • The Omnia Paratus

wrath0r EDC Junkie!!!

Just whack the guy with your cane. :bounce:

9. MinistryOfTruth

MinistryOfTruth Uber Prepared

For small spaces and large space alike: double batons, two inches longer than your forearm. I want to say tonfas but its a seriously tricky weapon to use. Strategy: surprise, sensory overwhelm with a flurry of light strikes to protuding bone areas and large muscle groups and start pushing them out with repeated shouts of help, police, get out, leave now etc etc.
    BUT i cant just say that, no way...

BarksAtCats makes a valid point IMO!

I was reading an article by a guy on the "after you win" scenarios, as in what about the legal consequences, fees, physical and psychological trauma etc and it really got me thinking and my whole plan changed. I live in a 1 way in 1 way out setting so the general idea is to make sure anyone savvy enough to get in has an escape route, i dont want self defense to turn into an aggravated assault or manslaughter just because i wouldnt back off or let them back off.
    It's hard to change your mind if your skulls already caved in! But that goes both ways.
    I could probably hold 4 people at bay if they broke in without firepower and i was awake, but if we're all asleep thats another pair of pretzels...
    Guns are generally prohibited in sweden, as is carrying any implement to be used to cause harm or fatal injury, and even hand to hand combat training is considered a weapon if the agressor is untrained and/or unarmed. You may not use more force than the situation requires, and you need to prove it in court.

I have a decade of martial arts training and all sorts of stuff lying around (grandmaster is famously quoted saying "everything is for fighting") but i mean just thinking about the idea of using one of my kung fu weapons (sturdy, perfectly weighted and balanced, traditional beauties) - with wich i train regularly - on a person gives me the creeps. The techniques ive learned are close range personal defense and larger skirmish/battlefield ones, and then im not even considering spilling blood in my own home! If pushed far enough id probably go completely bananas, but that worries me more than comforts.
    Mistakes happen so easily and all of a sudden you need to explain the dead person in your livingroom to LEOs, not to mention dealing with killing someone both mentally and practically.

I've been at odds about self defense for many years now, i used to think i knew what it meant but there seems to be a large grey area with surrounding fog...

10. TKDstomper

TKDstomper Banned

Considering that I'm 29 years old, I have 11 years of Taekwondo and 2 of Shorin Ryu training. Combine that with a dog, unless you're gunning me down, you may as well pick another house.

Ps. You said no guns, but I sleep with a .40 and 12 gauge.

No entry. Get off my lawn. Have a nice day!

11. jorski3000

jorski3000 Loaded Pockets

The African war club is still by the door, but I keep a Cold Steel Sjambok handy as well. I shortened it to about 1 metre, it's snappy!

12. Cerberus.

Cerberus. Loaded Pockets

I keep an African fighting stick by my bed, and a Cold steel Kukri thats been sharpened properly for medium range and lastly for up close nd personal I have my edc folder for the day very close to me always. Simply put if you grab me you will bleed.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

13. r2_.d2

r2_.d2 Loaded Pockets

just a plain baseball bat by my bed does the trick.

kikaida and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  14. tr4022

tr4022 Uber Prepared

If someone breaks into my home, I'm going to throw a massive hissy fit the likes of which will strike terror into the heart of any home invader!

Tod

Cobra 6 Actual and shmook like this.
  15. Leverdoug

Leverdoug Loaded Pockets

Bandana with a master lock tied to it. [​IMG]
    Or any combination of these[​IMG][​IMG]

Motes are also a great defensive tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snowkiwi and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  16. Medeiros

Medeiros Empty Pockets

My 14'' carbon steel tramontina machete will do the trick for "middle of the night" invasions. Anything bigger than 14''
    is too big for close quarters(at least to me), so this is the best (for me).
    Anyway, other than "middle of the night" home invasions, the other most common (at least here) is when the robbers attack you leaving/entering your home. That's when you should be alert, and what counts is what's on your person at that time.
    That being said, just scanning the area around your house before leaving and entering your home will prevent most of this. Making sure there is no one hiding nearby, ready to jump on you. May sound a little paranoid, but that happens everyday to innocent, law abiding people here.[​IMG]

Moco, Cobra 6 Actual and T.H.Cone like this.
  17. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

I have just an aluminum baseball bat as a secondary, non lethal weapon in the bedroom left over from when my son played baseball when he was younger.

T.H.Cone and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  18. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

21inch telescoping baton. Small enough for in my pocket so I don't look too threatening yet fast to deploy and hard hitting enough to be useful.

19. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

That's non lethal the same way a hammer is.

Bowman1911 and Medeiros like this.
  20. rangetroop

rangetroop Loaded Pockets

I thought the Gyro-Captain protected his valuables with a Snake!