1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Whats your favorite post apocalyptic movie

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Rev. Chuck, Apr 15, 2010.

1. toasterburn

toasterburn Loaded Pockets

mad max 2 & 3
    postman
    waterworld
    12 monkeys

2. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Fail Safe
    The Quiet Earth
    12 Monkeys (Bruce Willis) // toasterburn snuck this one in while I was typing :) //
    Logan's Run
    Another mention for: Children of Men

3. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

The Wizard of Oz.

4. dewildeman

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

:lolhammer:

I heard a rumor that they were making "A Canticle For Leibowitz", my favorite post apocalyptic novel.

5. Wolvee

Wolvee Loaded Pockets

Sex in the city (part1 and part2) It's amazing how life like those Zom-bies look.

(*******, one of the dumbest uses of censorship I have ever seen.)

6. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Trading Places starring Eddie Murphy and Dan Akroyd.

Think about it.:buckteeth:

7. farang

farang Empty Pockets

The Road, I am legend, 28 days later

8. Dozer

Dozer Loaded Pockets

There have been so many over the years and most of my favorites have already been mentioned.. Reign of fire, A boy and his dog, waterworld, Road Warrior, Terminator series ********** and of course the Matrix trilogy (which I am suprised hasnt been mentioned yet).

9. zenlunatic

zenlunatic Loaded Pockets

Anything about marriage is a pretty good post apocalypse movie

10. kaniele

kaniele Loaded Pockets

Seeing how post-apocalyptic is by far my favorite genre

Would have to go with:

Movies:
    All Resident Evils
    Any George A Romero
    Omega Man/I Am Legend
    Book of Eli
    Z*Land
    The Crazies (remake)
    District 13
    28 Days/Weeks Later
    Doomsday
    Escape from NY/LA
    Day After Tomorrow
    Carriers
    Feast 1/2/3
    Terminators
    Slither
    and many many more......

TV series:
    Jericho
    Firefly
    The Colony
    Jeremiah

Coming Soon:
    Red Dawn (remake)
    The Walking Dead (tv series)
    The Goon

11. Eagle Scout
    • In Omnia Paratus

Eagle Scout Loaded Pockets

Like everyone else, really enjoy the shoot'em up ****** movies for the post apocalyptic genre. Overall, would go with "The Day After" which aired on TV in 1983. The special effects are dated, but it's an amazing piece of film for it's day - will get you prepping before the credits finish.

I think the best TV series would be the new Battlestar Galatica. It's a definite end of the world series that's still the best TV this decade IMO.

12. concho

concho Loaded Pockets

Good list. A lot of my favorites in there.

13. FreestyleAssassin

FreestyleAssassin Empty Pockets

THE ROAD

The Road was depressing, gritty and long.

The movies portrayal of a post the apocalyptic human scavenger was desperate and thrilling. Though there is little “exciting” about the existence of the man and his son. They simply move on and go forward, always forward “carrying the fire” of hope.

The film incorporates an element of terror and despair that perhaps no film before it has so effectively portrayed. Where cannibalism embodies the loss of humanity. I found this to be profound.

If you are looking for action, there is little, excitement, even less. If you are looking for salvation The Road delivers none. That is what makes it perfect in my opinion.

Sadly, there are those of us who may have never pondered how the cookie might one day crumble. Never given thought to how long they might last when the shelves have gone empty or how able they might be to defend themselves and their loved ones with their home defense side arm and supply of ammunition.

I believe that there are many who are incapable of imagining apocalypse at the level that this film delivers. The Road brings you into an entire world gone dead from a disaster that you will never know for certain the cause. There is no source of food, no chance of sustainability and no option but to keep on moving or to give up and die.

14. Vae-Victus

Vae-Victus Empty Pockets

I saw "Book of Eli" recently and I thought it was pretty good, other than that I'm not sure.......and I'm sure I'll **** someone off....LOL but as far as Post Apocalyptic Movies go, I didn't like Mad Max. Seems to me there are more good Post Apocalyptic books then movies, two great ones being Swan Song and Day by Day Armaggeddon, I'd definately reccomend those to anyone who's interested.

15. Ghost

Ghost Loaded Pockets

Why can't you post the word Z o M b I e...?

16. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

28 Days Later was my immediate reaction to the question. Definitely a great work in the genre.

I also love The Road Warrior and Waterworld. These are lovely, gritty portrayals of post-apocalypic worlds without delving into the undead human element.

17. illusion

illusion Loaded Pockets

Red Dawn remake???

18. EveryOtherDay

EveryOtherDay Empty Pockets

What?! No one has mentioned these classics? Looking at my collection of scifi movies, these all seem to qualify as post apocalypse:

I guess "AI/ Artificial Intelligence" (2002) could be considered post apocalyptic, or at least post human. A real tear-jerker.

"Dark City" (1998)- This one is hard to describe, but is a very good film. It's a must-see. (And Jennifer Connelly is in it!)

"The Day of the Triffids" (1963) was a good book but only a mediocre film, but still worth watching. Sight-destroying meteors and man-eating plants almost bring society's destruction, so it's an almost-apocalyptic film.

"Hell Comes to Frog Town" (1990)- Uh, this is about frog people and babes and Rowdy Roddy Piper, the wrestler. You figure it out. An interesting movie.

"HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy" - a very funny TV (1981), radio, and book series, but a not-so-good 2005 movie/remake)

"The Martian Chronicles" (based on Bradbury's short stories) was a good 1980 TV miniseries. It qualifies as post apocalypse because the Earthlings blow themselves up half way through the series, and the Martian apocalypse came thousands of years earlier.

"Millennium" (1989) time-jumps between present day and an apocalyptic future.

"Night of the Comet" (1984) is a very good low budget movie about 2 valley girls vs. The Undead and Soon-To-Be-Dead. Plus more of those pesky meteors. Plus girls with machine guns. I love that movie.

"No Blade of Grass" (1970) is about the fall of civilization after all grasses on Earth die out. It's a good book but an awful movie.

Have the "Planet of the Apes" movies been mentioned? The first one was OK (with Charlton Heston). The 2001 remake was especially bad.

"The Time Machine" (1960) mostly takes place in the far future, after society has collapsed.

"World Without End" (1956) is similar in many ways to "The Time Machine", but the good guys live underground and the bad guys live above ground in this one.

"When Worlds Collide" (1951)- The apocalypse comes at the end of the movie, so the movie is mostly about mankind's preparation for The End.
    -----------------

Other good must-see post apocalypse movies already mentioned but worth repeating are :

"The Quiet Earth" (1985) (This New Zealand movie was very hard to find until a few years ago)

"A Boy and His Dog" (1975)(NOT a Disney movie)- My favorite line from the movie is "Well, I'd certainly say she had marvelous judgment, if not particularly good taste".

"On the Beach" (1959) has Eva Gardner in it, which makes it especially good. If you don't know the song "Waltzing Matilda", you will after watching this movie. Another tear-jerker.

(See IMDB.com for details about all the above movies)

Steve

19. photomic

photomic Loaded Pockets

20. johnnytest

johnnytest Loaded Pockets

I generally agree with the above. I liked the movie for it's stark reality. What I felt it lacked was more dialogue between the father and son. They really did not develop the relationship considering they are the only two main characters in it.