1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What's your favorite kershaw?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by DillePickle, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

This is a carbon fiber/G10 laminate. You could find it first on some Spydercos, now many Ganzos and other China made knives use it.
    It's a good compromise between the nice look of cf and the toughness of G10. Pure carbon fiber is lighter and has those nice lines on the edges, but G10 is more forgiving on impacts esp. on the edges.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  2. strangebluesman

strangebluesman Empty Pockets

3. 9x19

9x19 Loaded Pockets

Hard to call a single favorite, but I carry this one everyday, so I'll just go with it.

Kershaw Ember

[​IMG]

RED-FIVE likes this.
  4. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

All of them! I’m especially taken with the RJ Martin collaborations. Here are mine, with a couple of ZTs thrown in for good measure
    [​IMG]

danbo27 and nolaradio like this.
  5. danbo27

danbo27 Loaded Pockets

My Lahar folder..
    Kershaw LAHAR Folding Knife 3-1/2" Drop Point VG-10 Stainless Steel Blade G-10 Handle Black
    [​IMG]

charlie fox likes this.
  6. ackeith4570

ackeith4570 Loaded Pockets

The Kershaw tilt is my favorite Kershaw knife.

7. assassin10000

assassin10000 Loaded Pockets

I've had a blackout (serrated) since they first came out. Lost and got another. Still one of my favorites.

Had an RJ Tactical 1987SBT for a year or so. Nice knife for a great price. But wanted to slim it down some.

Recently I had got their new AM-4, but I ended up selling to a friend without even using it after he saw it. Immediately after I got an AM-3 which I'm carrying after removing the useless thumbstud.

I'd say the serrated blackout is still my favorite, but this AM-3 is a pretty nice knife.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  8. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

My first and still one of my favorites is my Blackout; mine is a PE.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

9. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

I am fortunate to live in Oregon, where Kershaw is based, and where they hold a warehouse sale in early December every year. I've gone three years in a row. They have an enormous selection of knives available at a considerable discount. Many are factory seconds, though I've only been able to find the slightest of smudges on any of those. Many come shaving sharp, others not so much. I've probably spent an average of $200 per year there, and often later wish I had bought more.

Not pictured are the ZT 0100, set of steak knives, a dozen or so I've given away, 2 that are wrapped up for my girlfriend to open for xmas, and any others I may have forgotten somewhere in the house, garage, gear bags, or car.

They don't usually have a lot of ZT knives there, the last two years the only ones I've seen are rescue hook types. If you're within a few hours of Portland (or farther if you're really into Kershaw knives) it's definitely worth your time to make it, even if you do have to wait in line outside for a couple of hours in the rain to get in. Of the knives pictured, I think the Shallot (my favorite of the folders) was $30, and all others were less.

I like a lot of Kershaw's designs. I wish they made more non-assisted framelocks. Assisted openers are great, I just don't look forward to arguing with a cop on the side of the road about whether or not it's a switchblade, so I don't always carry assisted knives. It would be even better if they could make them de-assistable somehow. On the ones I've disassembled and attempted, there's no detent holding the blade closed so it doesn't really work. I don't think this should be too hard for them to modify.

I like the Emerson collaborations a lot, but since a waved knife cut my jeans once I'm wary of them, and I'll probably dremel the waves off of so I can carry them.
    [​IMG]

Their kitchen knives are great too. None of these was more than $15, most were closer to $5. They all come very sharp, and have held their edges for a long time. They've replaced almost all of my older kitchen knives. I'm the type of knife knut who will spend upwards of $300 for a carry knife, but doesn't want to spend $20 on a kitchen knife, so it's great to get these quality kitchen knives so inexpensively.

[​IMG]

Since many of us buy online sight unseen, and I have a lot of Kershaws, let me know if you have questions about specific knives that I have and I'll answer if I can.

#109 MedusaOblongata, Dec 24, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  10. assassin10000

assassin10000 Loaded Pockets

@MedusaOblongata EDIT: just reread your message and realized you are well aware of what to do, for everyone else see below:

On some of the Kershaw knives you should be able to remove the 'assist' from with ease. There is a torsion spring (basically a bent spring steel wire) that is what provides the assist. It does not hold the knife closed on all models. There should be a small ball bearing either in the liner or the frame lock that holds the blade in the closed position, if a detent is present on the blade to do so. Then the torsion spring can be removed on those knives to de-assist them.

Just beware they like to red lock-tite their fasteners on some (mostly newer) knives, so a good tool/bit is recommended. You can also do the hot water/heat the knife trick to help with loosening them.

You gave me an excuse to after 8-10 years of ownership open my blackout and clean it out. It was filthy. But the blackout can be de-assisted and still remain closed.

[​IMG]

In this photo you can see on the blade the hole that the torsion bar spring goes into... as well as the detent hole which will allow the ball bearing in the liner below the blade that will hold it closed.
    [​IMG]

Holding closed without the torsion spring.
    [​IMG]

YMMV depending on the knife. I took apart my AM-3 and it does NOT have the detent in the blade to hold it closed without the newer torsion design. Although it could be added with a dremel and some skill.

Last edited by assassin10000, Dec 25, 2017
    #110 assassin10000, Dec 25, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
    RED-FIVE and Moshe ben David like this.
  11. charlie fox

My good friend got me a Valmara! It’s a little smaller and chunkier than expected but fits my hand wonderfully. Definitely a keeper!
    [​IMG]

RED-FIVE, nolaradio and severdhed like this.
  12. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

My wife got me the Shield and Entropy for Christmas, both are nice additions to my collection[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

RED-FIVE likes this.
  13. tommytrauma

tommytrauma Loaded Pockets

Been carrying the same knife day in and day out for 15 years now.
    [​IMG]kershaw by tom tom, on Flickr

MTFatboy and Moshe ben David like this.
  14. nolaradio

nolaradio Loaded Pockets

Last edited by nolaradio, Dec 31, 2018
    #114 nolaradio, Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  15. RED-FIVE
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Impossible to narrow it down to just one...
    Fav Kershaws are all blackwash Hinderer designs:
    THERMITE - CRYO II - CRYO G10
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by RED-FIVE, Sep 11, 2018
    #115 RED-FIVE, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  16. charlie fox

All three are winners! I wanted to love the Cryo but it just didn’t fit my hand. The Cryo 2 was the answer to this, but the moment had past...now if they came out with a G10 Cryo 2 it would be on like Donkey Kong!

RED-FIVE likes this.
  17. RED-FIVE
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

+1 on a Cryo II G10 charlie fox!!

The Cryo II made an impression for sure. Then out of curiosity the Cryo G10, and Thermite. When I saw the original Cryo for a good deal, I picked it up for it's smaller size factor. However, I quickly found out it's not made as well as the Cryo G10 which was released after the Cryo.

The Cryo G10 is much more substantial, has thicker scales, stronger assist spring with an nice snappy deploy, thumb studs that are less prone to catch the edge of a pocket (though never use them anyway), They definitely went back and made improvements. Needless to say the Cryo was promptly returned.

Enjoying the Hinderer dna with the blackwash and flippers... a gateway to ZT's.
    :smile_coffee:

Last edited by RED-FIVE, Jan 6, 2018
    #117 RED-FIVE, Jan 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  18. nolaradio

nolaradio Loaded Pockets

Last edited by nolaradio, Dec 31, 2018
    #118 nolaradio, Jan 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    RED-FIVE likes this.
  19. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

There is another Kershaw that I've always thought looked like a Cryo 'junior'. I refer 'of course' to the Kershaw Ember. Which by the by, is also a Hinderer design. I don't have it -- although I've thought about it more than once! ;)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

RED-FIVE likes this.
  20. RED-FIVE
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Thanks Moshe! Ember is cool, and I like the smallish size of the crkt Squid.... which it seems similar size wise. Might be a good one to stash in an pckt orgnzr.
    Rf