1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What's your favorite digital SLR?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by bbbshrimp, Oct 11, 2006.

1. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

I currently have a Canon 50D and have been loving it since I upgraded. Have shot a few weddings with it and am more than happy with the results. Thought about getting the 5D mkII, but don't really need the video option, and was really too much for what I could budget for a new camera anyway.

2. Halliday

Halliday Loaded Pockets

3. BBQ BOY

BBQ BOY Loaded Pockets

I Am a huge CNon fan. I have a 20D now but want to upgrade to either a 40D or 50D. There seems to be more and more people going to Nikon. I wonder why. Anyone care to give their input as to why?

4. TrailDemon

TrailDemon Loaded Pockets

ive been a nikon fan/user for over 15 years. ;D
    i find their bodies generally to be more robust than the other brands.
    take the D700 for example... magnesium alloy body with weather seals... i also like the design of the controls better. For me, the switches are in just the right place, and respond better.
    look at the nikon 12-24mm. probably one of the best designed, sharpest piece of glass ever made.
    i know one photographer who left canon just so he could use the 12-24. :shocked:
    to me canons feel like toys, not serious tools. but thats just my opinion.

only two things i dont like about nikons. their weight, and their rediculous prices... but then again, you get what you pay for.
    peace
    al

5. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Currently using a Canon 400d - 2 years old and still going strong. Used with Canon 10-22mm, 35 f2, 70-210mm f4 and a 430exII flash

At the same time I ruin the Canon fanboyism by also shooting a Nikon FM - an old(er than me) manual film body with a 50mm f1.8 and nothign else :)

Recently I did also get myself a wee point and shoot - a wee Panasonic FX37 for the days I don't want to lug about the SLR, and while it is an awesome camera for its size, it makes me appreciate the SLR even more when I am using it (just P&S cameras in general really) - a far cry from the calls that SLR's are dead as P&S cameras can take just as good pictures without the size and weight...

6. jjgi5150

jjgi5150 Empty Pockets

Hi all,

My choice: My new Canon 50D with 28-135 kit lens, as well as 24-70 F/2.8 L and 70-200 F/2.8 L IS and Canon 1.4 TC on occasion. The very best DSLR I have ever used.

I also use a 10D at my job with the latter two lenses. The old 10D is a pretty solid workhorse, but it sure pales against the newer 50D. Waiting for the new 24-70 F/2.8 L IS lens to come out. When it does, the older 24-70 F/2.8 L prices will drop and then I can afford another one!

Take care,

JJ

7. ironlung

ironlung Empty Pockets

My Canon 450D is great. I took it for a test shoot at the Antietam battlefield. After using the auto shooting mode for half of the day, I decided to switch to manual controls. They were pretty straight forward and I was definitely able to improve the quality of the final images (at least some of them). The image stabilization in the kit lens works well. I've since upgraded to a better lens. So far it's been great in any situation I've used it in.

8. MagnaWolf

MagnaWolf Loaded Pockets

Quality - Price ratio: Sony Alpha 200 DSLR. Loved that camera. Too bad that I had to sell it.

9. WillCAD

WillCAD Loaded Pockets

I'm a Canoneer myself. I've owned two SLRs in my life, a 35mm and a digital, and both are Canon.

My 35mm is a Rebel G. I haven't used it for several years, but it's still packed up neatly and available if I need it.

My current camera is a Canon Digital Rebel. The original version, the 300D - no bloody X, T, S, or I!

I'd love to upgrade to a newer DSLR with cleaner high-ISO performance and better low-light capabilities, but it's not in the budget. Perhaps in a few years I can step up to one of Canon's double-digit series (i.e. the 50D or one of its successors), but for now, my 6mp Digital Rebel is my primary camera and I'm happy with it.

What I may step up to next year, however, is Canon's 18-200 EF-S IS lens, which would replace my current walkaround lens, a Sigma 18-125. The Sigma is mostly a good lens for the money, but it's a little softer than I prefer, isn't IS, and shows a little more vignetting than I like.

10. Nomadtv

Nomadtv Empty Pockets

starteed with the Nikon d70 then went d200 then d300... personally I would skip the d200... the upgrades on the D300 (or 700 even) are way beter from the 200 that the 200 was from the d70. the D70s is still a great camera and they can be had for very cheap these days.

11. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

I think Cameras are like Pens, we each have our preferences, style and likes when it comes to how they feel. That being said, here's my opinion...

I find Canon cameras OK, their 5D MK2 is a very nice camera. Their optics are OK and their sensor is nice. IMHO though, their user interface stinks. I once had a friend, a pro photographer say "Canon makes their cameras for programmers, Nikon makes theirs for Photographers"

This is why I got the D300. I like the user interface, lens selection, and feel of the grip in my hand. (I have the extra bottom grip with the extra battery, which makes the camera a little more balanced) I find that the sensor in the Nikon is more "life like" and seems to behave better with low light conditions. I can't speak of Canon's ability to do that, I don't own one.

My other cameras are a Leica MP (re-release), Hassleblad 503c, and a Cambo 4x5 studio camera. (All film)

12. jadajazz

jadajazz Empty Pockets

Nikon D200 with 28 f2.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 135 f2.8. Bought the D200 a few years ago so I could use my manual focus lenses. Love it and see no reason to upgrade--works just fine for me.

Also carry a Canon SD600 in my EDC. Ran over it with my car last year and was foolish enough to think I could replace the shattered LCD myself. It worked, but I broke another small part and had to pay Canon to repair it.

Could have bought a new one for the expense I incurred by repairing it, but it's a great little camera, and I'm not interested winning a megapixel war with my EDC. With a small pocket cameral's small sensor, too many megapixels = not a good thing.

13. Z28Ken

Z28Ken Empty Pockets

Canon shooter here (1DMkII), though at the moment, not many of the new Canon bodies excites me all that much. Canon and Nikon seem to leapfrog each other now and again, and I'd say that at the moment, Nikon seems to have the advantage with their current offering of bodies. I'd love to have a D700 and the new D3s looks killer (more exiting than the 1DMkIV)... But all said and done, take your pick of a system, it's likely your skill that will determine the image quality, not so much the equipment. :)

14. justmyluck
    • In Omnia Paratus

justmyluck Loaded Pockets

I couldn't agree more! I'm still a rookie when it comes to photography, but having a great time learning. I think I've been pretty fortunate in the deals that I've picked up, but in doing so it has kept me away from the mainstream availability of the big two (Nikon and Canon).

I was able to pick up an Olympus E500 with the two kit lenses at a Target for approx. $225. Less then a year later I took advantage of the deal Sony ran on their A200 with one kit lens. $316, but transferred some monthly bills to the credit card you had to sign up for and over the next 6 months received $300 in rebates. A DSLR for $16!!!

The A200 is actually just a slightly less feature rich camera than the E500 (though they are both entry level), but it shines in that it has in body stabilization, and accepts all Minolta Maxxum lenses (and some third party Maxxum lenses). I've been able to pick up from Ebay and friends some decent entry level glass: 35-70 F4, 50 F1.7, 70-210 4.5-5.6.

Having a blast shooting pics of my 1 year old daughter!

15. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

16. chappel

chappel Loaded Pockets

I started with a Nikon d40x and an 18-200mm VR 'super zoom', which was an awesome walking-around setup, but upgraded last spring to a d700 (found used) with a 70-200 2.8 for a number of reasons - better low-light capabilities, integrated off-camera flash control, full-frame sensor for richer landscape photography, weather-sealed and generally more rugged setup. I do occasionally miss the smaller size, lighter weight, and infra-red remote (why they dropped that I just don't understand) of the d40x. I miss having spare cash around for buying EDC widgets, too :broke:

I've also got a 50mm f1.4 (nice for portraits), 105mm f2.8 macro (for close-ups), and a 14-24mm f2.8 wide-angle (great for landscapes, buildings and full-room interior shots) - all Nikon. The wide-angle is fun, but I still don't quite have a feel for working with the wide-angle distortion. I was tempted to get the 24-70mm, but I'm waiting for a weather-sealed version of it. The challenges of using filters with the 14-24mm was a definite drawback. If I start saving now, I may have enough to add a 400mm f2.8 in 5-10 years.

I don't have much experience with other brands, although it seems most pros I've met use Canon, and I assume there is some reason for that. I've taken some really stunning pictures with both Nikons, and haven't seen any good reason to consider anything else.

Last week I spent four days chaperoning a school group through the snowy woods of northern Minnesota, lugging the camera the whole time. It held up marvelously - snow, rain, thick underbrush, ash, condensation - I never really worried about it. I haven't attempted the Dave Hobby 'pool dip', though - I have my limits.

I'm not sure what to say about Ken Rockwell - in one article he rants about how the camera really doesn't matter, it's all the skill of the photographer - and the next he extols the wonders of the D3, and how it allows one to take pictures that just aren't possible with lesser cameras. I suppose both are true to some extent, but you might not think so if you didn't read both - with an open mind, and as previously mentioned - a fair bit of salt.

17. dlcrouch

dlcrouch Loaded Pockets

Nikon D90 - don't have one yet, but do have a number of older lenses i used with my old film based Nikon. I'm watching body only prices on slickdeals.net and bing.com and am just itching to pull the trigger.

18. WillCAD

WillCAD Loaded Pockets

I've never read any Ken Rockwell, but in my experience, those two viewpoints are not mutually exclusive.

A camera is just like a paintbrush. Anyone can pick up a brush and lay paint on a canvas, but it takes talent and skill to create a painting. Whether using a great brush or a crappy brush, those with talent and skill will always be able to create better paintings than those with no talent or skill. Using a better brush will allow a talented or talentless person to create better paintings, but a good brush will not improve the talent or skill of anyone.

Same with a camera. Anyone can point a camera at something and click the shutter; I've seen 3-year-olds do it. But someone with talent and skill will always be able to fully utilize the capabilities of a camera, whether it's a $40,000 Hassleblad or a $7 disposable, better than someone without talent and skill.

Just remember - a camera doesn't take pictures - YOU take pictures. You just use a camera as a tool to do it.

19. photomic

photomic Loaded Pockets

20. dodge_911

dodge_911 Loaded Pockets

My very own Canon 1D MK3 :) With some nice bits of glass :
    • Canon 17-40 F/4.0L
    • Canon 24-80 F/2.8L
    • Canon 70-200 F/2.8L IS
    • Sigma 10 fisheye F/2.8
    • Sigma 15 fisheye F/2.8
    My Canon 40D is a close second though
    I'm an nightlife-, event- and reportage-photographer, for online publications and some magazines.