1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What's your favorite digital SLR?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by bbbshrimp, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Nightwatch

Nightwatch Loaded Pockets

I am very fond of my Pentax *ist DS.

2. modamag

modamag Empty Pockets

Gotta love Minolta (wait now Sony), with that in body SSS.
    I got an A100 can't wait for the 7D replacement.

3. MikeDub

MikeDub Loaded Pockets

A lot of Canon and Nikon fans here it seems. I'm partial to Olympus myself. I retired my OM-2 a few years ago, and recently bought an E520 dSLR. Even better than the E410 I was using for a while.

4. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I love my canon 1dmk2n
    Its big heavy and pricey - but use it and it is all worth it
    I shoot a lot of motorsport - generally using a 300mm f 2.8LIS on the 1d, and a 70-200 or 10-20mm on a 40d
    The 1d fits my hands, I cam change settings without looking, and it just feels like an extension of my hand (this could be because its talken 80000shots
    The 40d is better in low light - but when I'm normally using a camera (daytime) the 1d stomps on everything

*please note I'm a canon fanboy - all the other companys make good cameras too, I would advise that you pick themodels in your price range with the features you want - then go to a camera shop and handle them all back to back - try changing settings on all of them, one will just "click" and make sense*
    Don't worry about megapixels - my 8mp 1d and 350d make lovely 16x20 prints I even when lightly cropped
    Anything around 6-8 mp will do fine unless you want to regularly make poster size prints

5. FeebleOldMan

FeebleOldMan Loaded Pockets

Wow I didn't notice this old thread until it got resuscitated ;D

Canon EOS 20Da

I'm into astronomy. :-X Now, if only Canon will release another astrophotography version......

6. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

Now that they have a couple new models that have "live view", this should be a pretty easy conversion for a new model. ;D

7. ScarletPimpernel

ScarletPimpernel Loaded Pockets

I have a Fuji S3-Pro, and really rate it. The Current model is the S5-Pro - I'd buy one on the strength of the S3's performance.

8. cl0123

cl0123 Loaded Pockets

resuscitated? :laugh:

My favorite is an almost 3 years' old D200. I am having a hard time letting go the old film gears, but now that I realized I haven't touched any of the old F gears for a couple of years, perhaps it's time to de-clutter the camera cabinets. It might be easier if I ask my better-half to sell those, but then what if she sells those at like $20 a piece? :lolhammer:

Real answer: Da NEXT one is gonna be my favorite!!!! Be it a D3X or whatever...

With Aloha,

Clarence

9. bigonion

bigonion Empty Pockets

I recently got the Nikon D90 with an upgraded lens. Fantastic camera. Has "live view" and many other features - including ability to shoot short video (havent tried that yet).

10. RacerX

RacerX Loaded Pockets

I think I'm an oldbie. The last SLR in my hands was a Nikon N2000 with a Canon FTQL (QL=quick load, google it, funny stuff!) as a backup, shooting weddings (yes, I did this for three years out of high school for a professional studio ugh)

No, the N2000 was not digital, and yes the FTQL was older than a dinosaur's gramma...

It's interesting to note that, while the Canon FTQL stopped production in 1972, I used it as a backup body *and* lens in 1992!!!

11. streicher708

streicher708 Empty Pockets

I purchased a nikon d90 around October and I love it. Very impressive camera, and when compared to it's compatition it's a bargain! For you the big plus would be the old style screw drive that allows you to use virtually any nikon lens ever made (to some degree anyway). I got a ton of good information from www.kenrockwell.com

12. TrailDemon

TrailDemon Loaded Pockets

im a new nikon D700 owner and love it. after shooting with a nikon f4 this was a pretty big jump for me.
    im now considering the nikkor 12-24mm.... :rolleyes:

now my hardest decision is how to carry it. im currently using a lowepro toploader AW bag, but im still undecided. :shrug:

peace
    al

13. PenRx

PenRx Loaded Pockets

my favorite is the one I use daily, the D300 with battery grip. Love this thing, fast, solid and accurate. I have been carrying it with either a Think Tank Speed Demon (which is actually way too small for the camera with the grip on it) or with my Tamrac Expedition 5585.

Been using the grip with 8AA batteries to get the 8fps and the camera sounds like a machine gun. It really eats the batteries this way though, so I will have to look into getting the D2 battery and charger to get some longer battery life at high frame rates.

Cheers,
    Sean

BTW, take anything you read from Ken Rockwell with a boulder of salt. He is a bit of a whackjob.

14. Balog

Balog Loaded Pockets

How so? That's a very strong statement to just casually drop in a conversation.

15. streicher708

I should clerify, I've never actually spoken to mr Rockwell but I do find his web site informative. He does add his strong feelings about things sometimes but he usually does so with humor or atleast with taste. Plus he has some very usefull links to equipment he reviews.

16. PenRx

PenRx Loaded Pockets

Spend some time on flickr or any of the photography boards, learn about how digital camera's work and take a few thousand images yourself. Then go back and read Mr. Rockwell's pages. He constantly extolls the D40, D60, D90 camera's as better than the Pro level camera's out there. His overriding criteria for this is that the Pro camera's are heavier. That is basically his argument, a lighter camera is better than a heavy one. Nothing regarding image quality, file handling, speed, color accuracy, flexibility, ease of setup. Yes he does review the Pro camera's and does a decent job, but his reviews are based mostly on opinion rather than emperical data.

He even states that much of his site is tongue in cheek.

I read his site often, and it is entertaining, but you need to get a good sense of his humor before using him as a total reference for purchasing a new camera. There are many more reviewers and sites out there that do a better job of evaluating the camera's and using test data to prove their conclusions. Try dpreview, pbase, heck flickr as well has user groups for pretty much any camera that you can name.

I am used to posting on flickr where Mr Rockwell is famous for his reviews and opinions, and where it is almost sport to bash him. What I posted below is way less than you can find any day of the week on that forum with regards to KR. I was being a bit over the top, but my attempt at humor perhaps did not translate well here.

Cheers,
    Sean

17. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

I like the Nikon D300 I got a few months ago.. It is a fine camera. (I do wish I had waited until the 700 came out, but that always happens.)

In any case, I have no complaints about the photos.

18. streicher708

PenRx, for the record I was not offended by what you said about ken Rockwell at all. I actually grinned when I read it! I have checked out some of the other sites you mentioned and they are very good, I agree they are much more performance oriented reviews and less opinion. Honestly I like rockwell's reviews because I'm very much an ametuer, and I find his reviews very easy to read. Take care

19. CyBuzz

CyBuzz Loaded Pockets

I have a Nikon D70. Works like a charm. I would love to add a zero to the end of that model number though.

20. neoseikan

neoseikan Empty Pockets

I am using a S2 pro for taking phots for my lights.
    But I hope to get a Nikon D700 in future.
    I have some decent lens for full frame SLR.