1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What's your favorite 9mm Handgun for EDC Poll

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by antonic, Apr 28, 2012.

?

What's the best 9 mm handgun for EDC?

1. Kahr P9

10 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. Smith and Wesson M & P

26 vote(s)
    11.2%
  3. Gock 17

13 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. Glock 19

76 vote(s)
    32.8%
  5. Sig Sauer P239

5 vote(s)
    2.2%
  6. 1911 9mm

4 vote(s)
    1.7%
  7. Ruger SR9

9 vote(s)
    3.9%
  8. Other

105 vote(s)
    45.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. antonic

antonic Loaded Pockets

I've never owned one and I'm curious what's a good 9mm gun for EDC? Please vote. Thanks.

Update: Here's an extended list so far:
    S&W Shield
    Kahr CW-9
    Walther PPS
    Bersa BP9cc
    Beretta Nano
    SIG P290
    Kimber Solo
    Glock 26
    Seecamp 32 ACP
    S&W 642
    Kahr CM-9
    Keltec PF-9
    Browning Hi-Power
    Ruger SR9C
    Rohrbaugh Mode R9

Last edited by antonic, Apr 29, 2012
  2. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Step 1. Start doing hand and wrist exercises.
    Step 2. Seecamp 9mm.

I always prefer single stack mags. I have large hands, but there is something about the narrow grip that allows me to aim more easily. And they carry lighter, and print less. Maybe a squeeze -:censored: HK P7? Ooh... An Asp. Yep definitely an Asp.

Unless you can carry openly in your state. Then I would say forget 9mm. Go bigger.

antonic likes this.
  3. Bullzaye

Bullzaye Loaded Pockets

There is no one "best". What works best for me may not work at all for you. You need to at least handle them all, see how they feel in your hand, see how the controls work for you. If it's possible for you to shoot any of your candidates, that would obviously be even more useful.

However, to attempt to answer your question...any of your choices seem decent. Your top 5 in particular seem to all be good choices. For my purposes, I prefer the Glock 19. I've used it and carried it for many years...it's compact, lightweight. reliable, accurate, and its stock mag holds 15 rounds, while higher capacity mags are available.

Best of luck!
    Tim

Kody Page and antonic like this.
  4. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

Given the choices, I would add the Browning Hi-Power.

antonic likes this.
  5. MANGLONA

MANGLONA Loaded Pockets

I voted other for the PF9. That's just what I carry. I have experience with the Glocks and M&Ps. I holster it with the Remora. I do own a RIA 1911 9mm tactical, but choose the PF9 over size. For the size you loose amount of rounds and a grip that can really frustrate those with big hands. I wrote a little about it in my intro post.

edit for a pic I just uploaded:
    [​IMG]

Great debatable subject here, where I'm sure a lot of members will post preferences, but it's just a balance of what you feel comfortable carrying (weight,size,holster,wardrobe) and what you feel comfortable shooting/training with (recoil management,great fundamentals,reliability, etc.). For me, it's the PF9.

Last edited by ajzero3, Apr 28, 2012
    Ktowngunner, kye4some and antonic like this.
  6. JP5

JP5 Loaded Pockets

Vote for the Ruger SR9C here. One of the narrowest double stacks out there, light, accurate, dependable.

antonic likes this.
  7. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

There is no best. Hanguns are compromises like almost all things. If it becomes too specialized it is less versatile, if it is versatile there is something better for a specific task. It is also a matter of fit as well. We are not all the same, do the same things, nor have the same needs.

Kody Page, antonic, jcc and 1 other person like this.
  8. muttsnutts

muttsnutts Loaded Pockets

Also consider looking at the Kahr PM9.

You should try to handle and shoot these guns before you make a decision. As an EDC, size does matter. So consider how you will holster it and what size your body type can really hide.

antonic and surefire7 like this.
  9. antonic

antonic Loaded Pockets

Wow great forum responses. Thanks everyone. My plan is to go to a shop with a shooting range and rent the top three in this poll. If the top three doesn't fit the bill, I'll try the rest. I just want to maximize my time test shooting instead of renting every single gun in the shop. :)

Crushmaster likes this.
  10. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Really impossible to answer this one in any way that will help YOU, because "best" is a subjective term and depends on your selection criteria and the weighting you assign to each. For instance: in my case, I would want something small enough to pocket carry. That pretty much narrows it down to a Kahr CM-9, Keltec PF-9, or something along those lines.

I own and really like a Glock 26, which I carry in a very nice OWB pancake holster when I can wear a concealing garment (untucked shirt or jacket). But for pocket carry I go with a S&W 642 j-frame revolver in .38spl.

Any of the options you listed would be fine choices, as long as they fit your hand and you can learn to be proficient with the gun, and that it's of a size that you can and will carry regularly.

antonic and ajzero3 like this.
  11. MANGLONA

MANGLONA Loaded Pockets

+1 for the S&W 642. I'd like the 642, maybe even the 38 Bodyguard, to be my next purchase to interchange with my PF9. Exploring options with the J-frames would be a good idea while you're at it with your quest for the PPP (perfect pocket pistol).

antonic likes this.
  12. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Smart man. Sounds like a good way to go about it.

antonic likes this.
  13. PJPJR

PJPJR Empty Pockets

I carry a Glock 26 with extra magazine, 21 rds total. Carried in an OWB Don Hume strongside. Conceals nicely and offers decent capacity......
    I also carry a Seecamp 32 ACP everywhere I go. Lives nicely in front pocket and compliments my Glock very nicely!

WichitaJLJ and antonic like this.
  14. Enzo01

Enzo01 Loaded Pockets

Kahr are great but way overpriced. I think the new S&W Shield is going tom overtake many of the existing 9mm handguns for edc

01bugtruck and antonic like this.
  15. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

I dunno about that. No double-stack auto is gonna be as thin and flat as the Kahr.

GFL1905 likes this.
  16. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

I thought the M&P Shield was a single stack?

CaptainJarvis and In_The_Pitt like this.
  17. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Ack. Yeah, I'm an idiot. I've only seen a few pics, haven't seen one in person, I assumed from the name it was based on the original double-stack M&P frame.

My apologies, Enzo.

18. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

If I were looking for a single-stack thin 9mm that is very concealable but not quite pocketable, my list to look at would include the new S&W Shield, the Kahr CW-9, Walther PPS, Bersa BP9cc, Beretta Nano, SIG P290, and Kimber Solo. Narrow that list down by your budget and what feels good in your hand, or if you can get a chance to shoot any of them, which one you shoot well with.

I've looked at the Ruger LC9 and didn't like the way the trigger felt, but I haven't shot it.

Of that list I have shot the Kahr CW-9 as a range rental and it was a decent shooting pistol. Web of my hand was red and a little sore after two boxes of 9mm but that's what you get with any narrow-grip gun.

In_The_Pitt and antonic like this.
  19. antonic

antonic Loaded Pockets

I updated the first post with "Other" guns that are mentioned in here. Wow it's a bit overwhelming. LOL

20. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

The TS' thread title is "Best 9mm Handgun for EDC;" however, the opening statement is "I've never owned one and I'm curious what's a good 9mm gun for EDC? Please vote. Thanks."
    There is a conflict with those two statements. The former is a would-be ultimatum; somewhat demanding the pinnacle. The latter is quasi-apologetic and also provides a qualifier.

"Best" and "good" are almost diametrically opposed and the object of the TS' request remains nebulous at best so I expand the conversation in an attempt to clarify the intent.

"Best 9mm Handgun for EDC" simply implies that the emphasis is on efficacy in carry, and not, necessarily, performance. My answer points to the Rohrbaugh Mode R9 since its diminutive overall size and weight satisfactorily meets my extended definition in the absence of the TS'.

All those models that the TS listed so far are "good" guns.

antonic likes this.