1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Whats your bourbon of choice?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by forestgrump, Feb 9, 2013.

1. tomsk
    • In Omnia Paratus

tomsk Loaded Pockets

I don't like the stuff either, its annoying over here when some one thinks they're some kind of expert because they have the occasional glass of jd and coke

forestgrump likes this.
  2. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Overrated? Yes. Bourbon? NO. Jack Daniels is NOT bourbon, it's Tennessee sourmash whiskey. Very different animal, especially with that charcoal filtering process. If they made it like proper bourbon, they wouldn't have to run it though a fishtank filter. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

scbubba, forestgrump, bendbig and 3 others like this.
  3. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I know it's not bourbon...I just brought it up because of the proof-lowering they did.

4. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I understand why JD is so often paired with Coke. It really tastes pretty bad by itself, at least compared to a good bourbon. At least to me.

5. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Not trying to pick on you, but JD has come up three or four other times in this thread, I felt the need to clear the air. The vast majority of American drinkers are convinced Jack Daniels is bourbon. (And that it's good. That's a whole 'nuther battle.)

Sent from my Liquor Cabinet using Tapatalk Intoxicology Edition

6. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I really think JD sells so well due to the label. Young drinkers think it makes them look tough when really, it's just tough to drink.

*4th time

7. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

LOL!!! Prolly explains the appeal of J├Ągermeister, too. Why else would college kids drink something that tastes like bug repellent? :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

8. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

Tennessee whisky is a whole 'nother thread all its own. That said, I don't mind JD, but there are better options.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

9. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

At the risk of thread derailment, what better Tennessee sourmash whiskeys do you recommend?

10. bendbig
    • In Omnia Paratus

bendbig Loaded Pockets

Eagle Rare 10yr old single barrel or Russels Reserve another 10yr old. It's all good though if made in Ky.:)

SAKplumber likes this.
  11. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I had some in 1981 at Norris Dam State Park. Lumberjack competition between 16 southern forestry schools. Some guys from one of the opposing teams gave me some the night before my event. I was still drunk the next morning. I was our team's archer. Bare 35 lb. bows at 300, 200, and 100 ft. It took me three shots to even hit the hay bales. Some went in the river behind. When I hit the paper, everyone cheered.

Don't know what the stuff was, but I'd highly recommend it. It was really good stuff.

Sent by Owl Post

12. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

I like Russell's reserve as well as George Dickel

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

13. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Part of what makes Kentucky Bourban special is the limestone and the climate. It cannot be recreated. Not to say that bourbon can't be made elsewhere...as seen here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_Bourbon_Trail

"Whiskey sold as Tennessee whiskey is also defined as bourbon under NAFTA[12] and at least one other international trade agreement,[13] and is required to meet the legal definition of bourbon under Canadian law,[14] but some Tennessee whiskey makers do not label their product as bourbon and insist that it is a different type of whiskey when marketing their product."
    "On May 4, 1964, the United States Congress recognized bourbon whiskey as a "distinctive product of the United States". Bourbon may be produced anywhere in the United States where it is legal to distill spirits. But most brands are produced in Kentucky, where bourbon production has a strong historical association.[15] Iron-free water that has been filtered through the high concentrations of limestone, unique to the area, is often touted by bourbon distillers in Kentucky as a signature step in the bourbon-making process.[16]
    It has been reported that 97% of all bourbon is distilled and aged somewhere near Bardstown, Kentucky.[17] which is home to the annual Bourbon Festival held each September, and has been called the "Bourbon Capital of the World" by the Bardstown Tourism Commission[18] and the Kentucky Bourbon Festival organizers[19] who have registered the phrase as a trademark."

14. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

^^97% of ALL Bourbon is distilled & aged in Bardstown Kentucky:D

bendbig likes this.
  15. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

During the Prohibition there were 2 or three distilleries that were permitted by the US Government to continue to produce Bourbon as a medicinal product:D Buffalo Trace was one of those. So Buffalo Trace has been around since before Prohibition...doin' it right:D

Kripto and Gryffin like this.
  16. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

No name??? Tease. ;)

SAKplumber likes this.
  17. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

Well, it was the color of water, and they poured it into a plastic cup and told me to drink it before it melted the cup. It tasted like, well I'm not sure because I think I lost taste buds in addition to brain cells. It kind of reminded me of siphoning gas.

Sent by Owl Post

18. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

If they told you that was whiskey, they were lying. That was 'shine.

Glad you survived to tell the tale. :)

SAKplumber and Mighty Max like this.
  19. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Good ol moonshine. Smells like paint thinner, tastes about the same (I'm guessing.) One glass is all ya need.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

20. chas353
    • In Omnia Paratus

chas353 Loaded Pockets

Jim Beam has been a friend of mine for a long time, but I have limited considerably the amount of time we spend together to make my doctor and my wife happy . But I still consider it nectar of the gods, taken only with a splash of water.;)

Mighty Max likes this.