1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What's yer Day Job? (or night job)

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by knuckleduster, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

I'm a university student, however I, too, am a photographer and videographer, typically for weddings and the like, on some weekends.

2. Magoo

Magoo Loaded Pockets

Police officer. Currently assigned to undercover narcotics (for one more year).

3. macgyver

macgyver Loaded Pockets

First post, how fitting. I am a full time BIOS engineer (8 years) in the PC industry and a part time masters degree student (software engineering).

BTW I love this place. Its my new addiction.

4. lovecraft47

lovecraft47 Empty Pockets

5. lukem

lukem Empty Pockets

Systems Administrator for a mobile phone company.
    We had Android phones before anyone else!

6. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

OK, old git question here.
    What's an Android phone? Something that will answer calls and be your girlfriend or sit at your desk while you go shopping?

7. lukem

lukem Empty Pockets

:)

The Android platform is mobile operating system developed by Google.
    It's used primarily on mobile phones at the moment, but is also being used on other devices.
    in a smartphone, it has the advantage of being highly integrated with Google's other offerings: Gmail, Calendar, Voice, Maps...
    Similar to the Iphone, it has a marketplace that allows you to choose from thousands of applications to add functionality to the base handset.
    The newest version of Android, 2.0 even integrates turn-by-turn directions into Google Maps, making it a replacement for vehicle-based navigation systems.

To sum it up, Android changes your phone from being a 1, 2, or 3 function device, into a pocket computer, capable of being adapted to a wide range of functions and features.
    If you'd like to discuss it further, open a topic in the electronics area, or PM me, I'd be happy to talk about my favorite phone... :)

8. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

Thanks very much for a clear and informative reply Lukem. I'm not quite a Luddite but my phone only makes calls and text and that's exactly what I want it to do, I have had several internet capable phones with cameras, dozens of ring tones and things for getting boy scouts out of horse's hooves and I think they are a pain in the bum.
    My €19 phone is bomb proof, I have even dropped it in a bucket of cement and it still worked. Navigation I only use sailing and then with a screen of 6" x 4" which is good because I can see it, I hate cell phone screens and most of my long sighted contempories do too, I'm waiting for the day when a mobile has a holographic projector Star Wars style so I don't have to find my glasses and squint at the damned thing.
    Pocket computers are not much good on a construction site, especially with me around.

9. Krustofski

Krustofski Loaded Pockets

You are obviously not an engineer :laugh:

10. Wildland Bill

Wildland Bill Empty Pockets

Currently I am working as an Emergency Room Technician at a small hospital (day job). I'm going to school to get my RN while I'm working, night job. I retired after 20 years of being in law enforcement, old job. My other "job" that I've had since 1978 is as a volunteer firefighter/EMT, mostly marine rescue and wildland firefighting.

11. chute43

chute43 Loaded Pockets

Career Firefighter/ Paramedic currently holding the rank of engineer both on Engines and Trucks. Part time Paramedic instructor and during busy fire season I will work as a Flight medic for the Feds, I am hoping to get an federal assignment as a medic during the next big hurricane season, still networking for that.

plus as many of you know i run my sewing business based mainly through my email and ebay but I strive to take care of my EDC brothers on here.

kary

12. chico13

chico13 Loaded Pockets

security officer in CA wich means i carry keys and a flashlight :brickwall:

13. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

Carpentry mostly now but I did get an HND in Robotics Engineering in 1985. I prefer working with wood though and I can do most calculations in my head. :brickwall: it depends on the sequence of wall banging.

14. rwdflynavy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

rwdflynavy Loaded Pockets

I am a Navy Helo pilot. Currently commanding a squadron, which is an awesome job!

15. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

Mild mannered customer service rep for HP by day, even milder mannered father of 3 by night...I need some rest. maybe a camping trip to use my EDC gear and survival skills before I forget them all.

16. FRagman1967

FRagman1967 Loaded Pockets

Direct Support Professional. IE, I work with persons who are physically and or developmentally disabled. I work with them, one on one, in their home.

17. mrandy

mrandy Loaded Pockets

I am a Dad and I love it!

Also a paid Fireman just so the kids can play on the trucks any time they want and tell the other kids at school "my dad is a Fireman and he can beat up your dad". :)

18. Krustofski

Krustofski Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I read it ;)

Now, that is cool! An uni right around the corner offers a Master program in Cybernetics and Robotics, unfortunately they wouldn't accept my Bachelor in biology. Got to be an engineering, computer science, or physics degree :thumbsdown:

The reason for my comment was that all the engineers I've ever known love their Blackberrys, iPhones, Netbooks and alike gadgets, and carry it wherever they go ^^

19. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

I like most gadgets but for some reason phones don't do it for me, I have an antique Palm Psion which I still use and I want a netbook but Smart Phones, I Phones Clever Phones...Nah.
    I would have thought combining Biology know how with Robotics would be a good thing for both disciplines, the Faculty should have a rethink and maybe have a peek outside their particular envelope.

20. thchip

thchip Loaded Pockets

Property Claims Adjuster for an insurance co.