1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What's with izula?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by ambaal, May 17, 2010.

1. ambaal

ambaal Loaded Pockets

No, seriously?

It's twice more expensive than, say, BK-11 and I really fail to see how it is any better.
    Same grind, roughly same size. Becker handle is in my opinion more comfortable and have bottle opener.

Becker has really good kydex sheath (and comes with paracord!), izula has very strange plastic for a sheath, and mine rubs on coating and leave marks.

The question really is not 'why izula is so popular' - it's a good knife, I really like it.
    The question is 'why knives that are arguably better or at least on-par and much cheaper aren't popular'.

I feel bad for knives like Becker Necker. They are at least as good as, but you rarely hear about them.

Then again, Izula comes in pink and that alone made me buy it. :)

2. RoadLessTraveled

RoadLessTraveled Loaded Pockets

I just bought a new-in-box OD Izula for $39.99 from a reputable e-tailer.

The best price that I've seen for a BK-11 is $34.99.

Not much difference unless you have found a better BK-11 price.

3. Wstan

Wstan Loaded Pockets

Where did you find the Izula deal? The best I've seen is +$10.

4. QtrHorse

QtrHorse Loaded Pockets

The best I have seen for the knife and sheath only is $42 shipped and the best I have seen for the complete kit is $52 shipped. Both are from the same vendor.

One of the things I like about the ESEE/ RAT brand is that they have a no questions asked lifetime warranty that is transferable.

5. ambaal

ambaal Loaded Pockets

That still does not explain why Izula is by a large margin more popular than other neckers. Guess it's because it is relatively new and there is much hype about it.

Warranty is a good point though.

6. Buckles

Buckles Loaded Pockets

bk-11 sheath is made from injection molded plastic, just like the izula.

personally i love my izula. its my go to fixed blade. im not worried about ever breaking it or hurting it which makes it more useable to me. the warranty is by far one of the best in the business. ESEE really stands behind their product. i dont think its popularity is because of the hype. the knife speaks for itself.

7. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I don't remember for certain but I think that the Izula has better steel than the BK-11.

It also has better F&F. The BK-11 is often said to come pretty dull out of the box with uneven blade grinds. I've never heard that complaint about the Izula.

Do you have the original Camillus/Becker BK-11 or the new KaBar/Becker BK-11? I have the original and it has a Kydex sheath but the new one has a thermoplastic sheath similar to, but bulkier than, the Izula's.

8. ambaal

ambaal Loaded Pockets

They both has 1095 steel, and ka-bar is quite good with it. Finish on mine is also flawless, just as sharpening. As I've said, it is at least on par with izula.
    I have a new one, didn't realize sheath is not kydex though, it really looked like it. :)

9. J.Miracle

J.Miracle Empty Pockets

10. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

The Izula's popularity is, in part, due to the general quality of the other ESEE knives. Popularity by association - and the fact the Izula is an outstanding knife in its own right.

This isn't to say the Becker isn't a good knife - but the bottom line is, there are a lot of good knives out there which cater to the same market. And Becker doesn't command a lot of name recognition the same way ESEE does.

-Trevor

11. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

They are both a slab of 1095, if one can do it the other can too.

I just had a guy on another forum trying to justify how esee's warranty is worth it. Well I don't, it only means people who take care of their knives are paying for the replacement for people who abuse their knives, that's how warranty works.

12. Phade

Phade Loaded Pockets

I think it has to do with the aesthetics.

13. greyhound352

greyhound352 Loaded Pockets

RoadLessTraveled
    I also have seen this same price and free shipping to forum members, $5 isn't much for the BEST warranty, that is transferable to any owner of the knife.

14. mtwarden

mtwarden Loaded Pockets

I think the new Becker Brat (BK-14) will be better received. If you spend much time w/ a small fixed blade you'll know that the bottle top opener on the BK-11 could be problematic

the BK-14 solves that issue

[​IMG]

15. knifeguy

knifeguy Loaded Pockets

Your knives can easily become damaged from normal use, or just one accident. A warrantys like ESEE's is hard to come by now days, BRKT and ESEE are the only companys I know of that do it. And it proves that they believe in their knives.

And ESEE has really pioneered a great company and namesake. I really look foward to getting a RC 4 soon.

16. knifeguy

knifeguy Loaded Pockets

I just happened to stumble over this on the RAT forum at bladeforums. Is this knife ever actually going to be available or is it just a joke?

17. mtwarden

mtwarden Loaded Pockets

18. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

You are also paying for it, warranty doesn't come for free. I can't think of any NORMAL use that would damage the knife to the point needing replacement.

19. ambaal

ambaal Loaded Pockets

Yes, why not? The are VERY (and by 'very' I mean that I can't really see any difference in steel performance) similar in terms of steel hardness and factory sharpness: I have both and those happen to be my two most used knifes.

Actually, BK11 would be even better than izula at this test for me at least, as it has slightly more comfortable handle.

Then again, you can get micarta slabs for izula, but that would move price very close to RC3.

20. ambaal

ambaal Loaded Pockets

You are probably the closest one to the truth. Becker make EXCELLENT knives, which compare to ESEE in it's designated use and are about the same quality, but they are much less recognized.
    Pity, really, I am genuinely amused by how much of a knife becker offers for a price. I do love rats too, actually I'm really close to getting all sizes of RCs and all beckers.