1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What's the number one bag/pack killer for you?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by CANNIBALdinner., Jun 22, 2016.

1. CANNIBALdinner.

CANNIBALdinner. Loaded Pockets

I commented recently on a couple threads here and it got me thinking. What is the number one killer for you on bags? What's that one thing that immediately turns you off no matter how cool the bag is otherwise? For me, it's a bag with skimpy, small shoulder straps and weak zippers. (Okay so that's two...lol)

I remember watching a review that a member on here (TARFU) did on the Vertx Gamut pack. He stated that he doesn't know why bag companies don't just use real paracord on their bags. I couldn't agree more. Why not just do those things?

It's frustrating because there are many bags that I've really WANTED to like, but one small thing ruined it for me.

So come on people! I'm curious! What's the number one bag killer for you????!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darrel S. Jarvis likes this.
  2. CANNIBALdinner.

The new version of the TAD Litespeed is a perfect example for me. I'd love it if it didn't have such pathetic shoulder straps.

Darrel S. Jarvis likes this.
  3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I am not sure that there is 'one thing" for me really but I can usually find some thing or things that help me from buying one of each pack that I see?

More than this though is that the things I think I will like or that I never even consider until I get a bag and then use it for a while and only then discover something that bugs the crap out of me!

A lot of times I won't see this until trying to live with the bag for a while first?

Yea thats why I have so many!

CANNIBALdinner. likes this.
  4. gearheavy

gearheavy Loaded Pockets

Flaps. Flaps are the most inefficient "fashion" elements I see on packs and bags. They had purpose in the days before waterproof/water-resistant/dust-resistant zippers, but now they're just hipster/millenial fashion elements made popular by companies like Timbuk2 and Crumpler. Flaps make quick access to the main compartment a hassle. I was gifted a trendy and expensive Italian 32L top loader with a flap. It's an updated copy of a WWII era rucksack. The flap secures with two buckles, one on each corner. Anytime I want to retrieve something I have to unbuckle each buckle, lift the flap, then un-cinch the drawstring closure to reach into the main compartment. Then do everything in reverse to close it up. There are also two external side pockets, also with flaps. I hate flaps. Long ago I also made the mistake of buying an expensive leather briefcase with a flap. What a mistake. I hate flaps and now days immediately ignore any bag that uses flaps.

joshwhoha, Viper101, tbzbbt and 2 others like this.
  5. CANNIBALdinner.

No kidding. And they always get stuck in zippers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

Not having side pockets for water bottles (or ones not large enough for a 1L Nalgene) is the big one for me.

7. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I would posit that a bag with small, wimpy, shoulder straps and poor quality zippers is an flat-out failure, period, and not just a matter of personal opinion!

I can't even think of two more critical design elements a bag, EVERY bag, should contain! I mean, what's really left after these two elements...a sack, right? Heck, you can get any old 'sack' at the grocery store for free (..."paper or plastic, sir?"). To me, these things aren't just casual personal desires, but rather absolute requirements, without which a bag cannot be called a "bag". Straps for midgets and broken zippers render a bag "trash" in my book.

As to the question in the OP; the big one for me is a viable external water bottle pocket. This is not to be confused with some pocket stated to be a water bottle pocket, but is only capable of holding something the diameter of a Red Bull can and only deep enough to hold a mini can of V-8 juice. That's NOT a water bottle pocket! Sure, a water bottle can be carried externally on most packs with a carabiner, but who wants a swinging water bottle banging on their pack with every step? Plus, a 1L Nalgene hanging from a carabiner is going to do one of three things...1. make the pack top heavy, 2. make the pack side heavy or 3. hang below the bottom of the pack, none of which are desirable. Therefore, a functional water bottle pocket is an absolute requirement for me.

The other thing which is kind of a deal breaker for me is, any kind of 'wanna-be' appurtenance. If a bag has something on it, that item better work like the real thing. So, for example, if a bag has a carabiner on it, it better be load bearing; if a bag has an ice-axe loop on it, it better be able to carry an ice-axe. If a bag is OD green and/or all 'tacticool' looking, well, I better be able to throw it down the side of a mountain, take it SCUBA diving, cook dinner inside of it and drag it behind my truck for a hundred miles with it being no worse for wear. Anything less and the bag is just a wanna-be "playah".

That is all.

8. CANNIBALdinner.

I love it and I echo the sentiments on tacticool bags!

Tom A Hawk likes this.
  9. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I'm with Myrddraal and DCBman. I've carried a Pygmy Falcon II for almost 5 years now. Every day it gets loaded with at least one 1L Nalgene. I've really become dependent on the side bottle pockets.

10. sjoerger

sjoerger Loaded Pockets

Lately for me i've been searching for a new ambidextrous bag that has a CCW compartment. I've bought and returned the Maxpedition Malaga and Colossus in the last couple of weeks. While they both have CCW compartments, I found it quite difficult to retrieve a firearm out of the CCW compartment, and that is something you don't want to deal with in the event that you actually need said item. The Malaga was especially bad about this imo, though I like the bag quite a lot otherwise (might even get one again if I can find a good price on one).

So I am back to the Jumbo. I now have 2 Jumbo's since they are not really ambidextrous, at least not to me.

11. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

All the straps, cords, & buckles hanging off the exterior surfaces & the nylon material from which most of these military-styles bags are made.

greenwasabi and CANNIBALdinner. like this.
  12. gearheavy

gearheavy Loaded Pockets

Backpacks that look like Pink Bunny Rabbits, Chubby Panda Bears, and Green Ninja Turtles. Every time I see one of those I think, ewe.

echo victor and 343KD like this.
  13. Henryhoover

Henryhoover Loaded Pockets

An everyday bag needs to have a proper water bottle pocket for me too, not an option to bolt one on with molle and buy an extra pouch it needs its own well built, well thought out, big enough pocket preferably with some kind of retention that stops your water bottle firing out like a missile when the bag falls over.

14. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

It have to have 360° rotating attachment clips on the shoulder straps. Having to untangle shoulder straps or a square d-ring (or whatchamacallits) rotating to its longest and squeezing the webbing drives me nuts

15. davidt1

davidt1 Loaded Pockets

My bag flips over too easily.

Has too much padding on the back -- makes the bag thicker and heavier than necessary.

Has way too many pockets on the outside -- easy for things to get stolen.

Moco likes this.
  16. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

my number 1 would be ease of access to compartments.

build quality, wont deal with lower quality anymore after having some budget packs blow out in less than 6 months, whether or not it can carry at least 1 Nalgene, comfort had a handle built into a strap on my Jansport and would dig into the nape of my neck, never again. how easy it is to get into the interior, like how quickly the zippers open or snag, or really stiff nylon. I sold my maxped condor because the nylon that was as stiff as cardboard got on my nerves and killed the design for me. color choices will not consider anything fluorescent, polka dots, or designs i like solid colors. and lastly organization I need some organization and options to add more or less to a pack

not really killers but some peeves, floppyness, country of origin, i really like having sternum straps,too many logos on a backpack is obnoxious, and whether or not the back is made of air mesh or nylon, i like nylon better.

mwelch8404 and CANNIBALdinner. like this.
  17. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

Flaps, lack of structure causing the bag to flop. Small zippers (H4 are you listening?), and pockets that have no tension so that things simply fall out...especially a problem with sling bags.

gearheavy likes this.
  18. Viper101

Viper101 Loaded Pockets

This. Exactly this.

19. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

1. No pictures of the inside or pictures without something for size reference. Is it really so hard to not use a can of Dr Pepper or a blue training Glock when taking promo shots?

2. Lack of two-way zippers. It adds what, a whole nickle to cost of the build? Are you, the designer so certain how I will use the bag.

20. Ghost

Ghost Loaded Pockets

:censored:house "ride" or "carry" with a reasonable load, even when the harness/straps are all trimmed just right...

It's not something you can really check before you buy it either unless you know someone who already has one...

CANNIBALdinner. likes this.