1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What's the deal with COAST LEDs (LED Lenser)? Good lights?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by greymethod, Apr 6, 2009.

1. greymethod

greymethod Loaded Pockets

Saw one at Lowe's today that was pretty bright; box said it was 92 or 95 lumens. Anyone have input? Very attractive prices, too.

2. Skeptic

Skeptic Empty Pockets

I have bought a couple over the years. They are okay. There are a lot of models to choose from the prices are fairly low. Often times I would find the tint rather off or the switches would seem a bit weak. They are fine for a loaner after I have picked up some other lights :) If I am going to loan out a flashlight a Coast or LED Lenser will be the loaner, I will keep my NiteCore or Fenix for me. :angel:

3. greymethod

I had gone there to pick up a Surefire but they didnt have any so I got one of those little guys for $30 haha.

anyone else?

4. Marduke

Marduke Loaded Pockets

They are pretty crappy lights IMO. Most are cheaply made direct drive lights, with vastly overrated specs and are vastly overpriced for what they are. Pretty much ANYTHING is a better deal.

5. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

I'm gonna agree with marduke.. I'm not a fan of their lights and unless they've made some massive changes over the years I wouldn't buy another one. I bought a light at 60 bucks cdn thinking this is the light to use. after a while of daily use it just wore down and the clicker would work occasionally, and the light would flicker.. so not a fan. not a fan at all..

6. SALT

SALT Loaded Pockets

I have had two Digitac II lights. When they worked, they were great But the crapped out after a few months.

7. greymethod

It was cheap; I'm going to go back to Lowes in a few days and see if they got another shipment of lights... they had the bloody batteries but no 6P or G2 :mad:

8. Marduke

Marduke Loaded Pockets

Ask someone. Some Lowe's have locked up the SureFire's because of theft issues. Sometimes they are totally out of sight, sometimes they are locked in a glass endcap display.

9. greymethod

There was a display out with the batteries, like one of those wall hanging ones. There were two spots next to the batteries with stickers on them that said 6PL and G2L. I didn't see any glass displays in the whole store, but who knows. Sadly the store is 30 minutes from me so I won't be going back tommarow. :rant:

10. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

They're "OK". Their output is overated (bad).
    IMO, for that price, you can get nicer lights (better quality, reliable higher output, etc.).

11. greymethod

Want to suggest any? ;D

12. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

I'm a big fan of Fenix lights. There's tons of other decent Chinese/Taiwan-made lights nowdays, but for my needs Fenix has delivered (and then some more).

13. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

if you want cheap but decent lights go garity surprisingly I find their 1 watt's are decent and they'll last for a bit.. I'd say around a year and you can get them at costco for 3 for 15 cdn.

14. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

Oh, yeah, that's right. If that's the sort of light you're shooting for, Dorcy makes decent lights too.

15. greymethod

I wish they sold Fenix lights in stores :mad:

16. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

LED Lenser makes so many different lights, but I've only owned two -- a David 15 and a simple 2AAA 5mm penlight. The David 15 is a Luxeon light powered by a single AA battery and has a pushbutton tail switch with momentary action. The light has performed very well over the past few years and has the right features for my application.

The LED Lenser 2AAA penlight was a weak, bluish spotlight with no spill and I returned it.

17. grndslm

grndslm Loaded Pockets

I've had quite a few Coast LED Lenser flashlights. The first one I got was the best outta all the "old model" Coasts... picked it up at WalMart for ~$10 or so, took AA batteries and the thing lasted forever and was brighter than Mag Lites. That was a long time ago, tho. I picked up some other Coasts on eBay that took AAA batteries, and I wasn't as impressed.

Finally, I decided to look at their P7 (HP8407) and/or T7 (HP8420), and ended up buying the P7 because it seemed to be the better grip for what I actually needed. I must say, that the P7 was one of the greatest flashlights I'd ever seen. I bought it for ~$90 about 9 months ago, and I loved it. People on www.candlepowerforums.com thought I was crazy spending that kinda money, but I knew that Coast understood optics and from the beamshots I'd seen online at the time, I knew it'd be great. I was kinda woried about the "Speed Focus" feature, but it was very solid -- not too tough too move, but not too easy either. I enjoyed it so much that I bragged about it to all my friends. And one of them enjoyed it so much that they stole it whenever I left it at a trusted friend's house. Bummer for me.

Anyway, the summary is... I would buy Fenix if you want an EDC like most people here. Only reason I'd EDC a Coast P7 is if I were a cop... that's defintely what the P-series of flashlights is for is police. It's got a beautiful, even flood and the throw is 2nd to none. But it's just too big for most people to carry, IMO. Sure if you've got an external case or bag, it could work... but not for me. A Fenix L2D Q5 is much more pocketable to me. I do think everybody needs one of these P7 or even the newer, bigger, better P14s (4-AA instead of 4-AAA O0 ) in their home, tho. It's truly the Maglite killer and shows what great technology exists for a mostly reasonable price. All other Coasts besides the T7, P7, & P14 are prolly junk, tho. So.. if one of those three meet your needs, buy them. Otherwise, look at Fenix.