1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What's the big deal with Spyderco?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by amspratt, Nov 2, 2012.

1. amspratt

amspratt Loaded Pockets

Look what you've done! One look at those gorgeous Osbornes and my resolve has completely crumbled. I can't not have that knife in my life. I want a Spydie too though...guess I'll just have to get both. Great! I'm in the forum one day and already I want $200+ in knives!

KAMM and SurvivePenna like this.
  2. senorsquare

senorsquare Loaded Pockets

Good choice with the 940. It is the only Benchmade I'd even consider buying right now. That and maybe the Torrent. In fact, I went and looked at a 940 yesterday at a local outdoor store and almost bought it. It is a really nice knife but for now I feel that if I'm going to spend that much on a blade then I'd rather have another Paramilitary 2 or another Sage or maybe a Techno or Caly 3CF (sorry, it's a lockback).

3. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

Sorry man, but when I see someone that just needs a simple nudge to get them moving in the right direction, I can't help but give them a big shove! heheh

Besides, if your list is only at two knives, then you are not suffering from a full blown case of KAD, and you still stand a chance of walking away from all this with only a couple of knives you really like and some money left in your wallet... ;) ;) ;)

4. Yarak

Yarak Loaded Pockets

As much Spydie love as I have, I do have a 940 and it is an awesome knife. Pretty to look at, flawless function, and handles everything I've thrown at it.

5. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

You only want $200 worth of knives after looking around here? You haven't been looking around much......or you left a zero our two out lol

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

MWDP and BullRome like this.
  6. IMWILSON
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

IMWILSON EDC Wizard

Sorry buddy, you're on the wrong forum if you're looking for someone to talk you out of spending money. We are a bunch of enablers around here. My standard answer to "Should I get X or should I get Y " questions; GET BOTH!! :D

You have to give him some slack, he's only been here a day. Give him a week. :p

7. amspratt

amspratt Loaded Pockets

I certainly hope so. Though I must say, I do really like those ZT knives...and the Sebenza...and a few SAKs wouldn't hurt...

8. amspratt

amspratt Loaded Pockets

:D
    Don't worry, I like being enabled!

IMWILSON likes this.
  9. IMWILSON
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

IMWILSON EDC Wizard

Well then....WELCOME TO THE FORUM! :dance: :Juggle: :wavespin: :bounce:

defuse kit and KAMM like this.
  10. TweezersAndAToothpick

TweezersAndAToothpick Loaded Pockets

I've bought Benchmade knives that arrived not very sharp, and one that arrived with a completely uneven grind (ridiculously so, it was a Mini-Barrage). I've been told BM has fixed the issues they were having with sharpening but I wouldn't know from experience.

I've never bought a Spyderco that didn't arrive sharp enough to shave arm hair with. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I've bought about 6-7 Spyderco knives and all of them were razor sharp.

11. mole

mole EDC Junkie!!!!!

on a budget-side of things, you cold always try the BYRD brand or some of the NAVY brand, and you´ll see the pro´s and con´s of knives with holes in their blades and spend even more money.

12. d.2.the.p

d.2.the.p Loaded Pockets

Spyderco is my favorite production knife maker, and I have owned at one time or another over 20 of their knives. Everything that has been mentioned are all spot on. The quality for the price paid is top notch, the ergos are some of the best out there, they regularly use exotic steels from outer space, their innovations such as the pocket clip, hole, and various locks they've invented, and the level of class they regularly show are all great reasons to buy their knives.

Another reason is their hands-on approach and willingness to listen to what their customers have to say. Sal regularly posts on the Spyderco Forums and chimes in to answer questions and comment on people's posts. Not only that, but some of the forumites that have been around for years have been able to even build a solid personal relationship with Sal. Additionally, there have been mulitple instances that knives have been altered or created based purely on customer feedback. It's really a cool thing to know that what you have to say is not only heard but taken into consideration. One time I started a thread talking about how I wanted the G10/VG-10 Caly 3 to come back, and a few pages of similar replies later, Sal chimed in and said that he'd happily put it on the books for a sprint run and asked us what color we want the G10 to be. How flippin cool is that?

nicktodorov, Gregolem and Syclone1436 like this.
  13. MWDP

MWDP Banned

And Benchmade calls that lock "monolock", avoiding to mention Chris Reeve, and I'm pretty sure he has a trademark on the name. Also they call liner locks "locking liners", and funnily enough the term 'liner lock' is also trademarked by Michael Walker. It's just lame... Let us also not forget Benchmade Vex, which was discontinued because BM nicked the opening hole design from Spyderco. After a lengthy lawsuit, it was concluded that one cannot patent a hole, however... Imagine Spyderco using the AXIS lock on one of their knives :)

I have two Benchmades, attempting to trade one at the moment. Had three others and traded them for Spydercos. I have nothing against Benchmades but I appreciate Spyderco much more, both for the quality and the ethics that the company represents.

Brisket, Gregolem and defuse kit like this.
  14. Cornholio2188

Cornholio2188 Loaded Pockets

omgomgomg!! ME TOO!! AHHHHH :frantic:

15. Cornholio2188

How's this for an explanation...

[​IMG]

Stolen from Kombi's post...:wub:

16. Cornholio2188

A custom one from Cuscadi-if you're not happy with the usual stock look ;)

[​IMG]

17. Cornholio2188

Again, if you dont like stock g10...

18. Cornholio2188

The possibilities...

...and, need i say more...?

I love Tuffthumbz. and really just love custom.

19. jnsn

jnsn Loaded Pockets

from my experience you get more for your dollar with spyderco vs benchmade. my cf handled s30v sage cost me 97.00, perfect fit and finish and zero issues to date. my g10 handled 154cm benchmade 890 cost 136.00 and i had to tighten/loctite the thumbstud the first day.. granted i bought the sage from amazon and the benchmade from a smaller internet retailer (knivesshipfree). im not knocking benchmade at all because i love mine and it has kicked my 2 spydercos out of my pocket completely.... for now.

...oh and the benchmade came shaving sharp out of the box, i had read about them being dull but did not have that issue.

Last edited by jnsn, Nov 4, 2012
  20. Redleg22

Redleg22 Loaded Pockets

Never got it either until i bought my first spyderco. It just made sense after that.

MWDP and KAMM like this.