1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What's the best knife sharpener?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Timothy Sutton, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Timothy Sutton

Timothy Sutton Loaded Pockets

The title tells all. The only sharpeners that I've had some success with are the Accusharp and the Smith's Pocket Pal X2. The problem I have with them is that they sometimes put a burr (fold on the blade) on my knives. Are there any good easy to use sharpeners out there?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

LRex likes this.
  2. LRex
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

LRex Loaded Pockets

I have a feeling most people will give two thumbs up to the Spyderco Sharpmaker. I have never had one, but handled it once and I can say it's pretty simple to use but that's coming from 5 minutes of experience. I personally use a Smith's sharpening kit I got at Walmart. It's not bad for the price. Mini pocket sharpeners like that will leave a burr. It's good for field sharpening, but don't let it be your main sharpener.

gdwtvb, c99camper and Timothy Sutton like this.
  3. Timothy Sutton

Have you ever used the Worksharp Tool and Knife sharpener? I heard it works pretty good, but I don't care for the price tag.

LRex likes this.
  4. LRex
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

LRex Loaded Pockets

Timothy Sutton I have heard of it, but never used it. Perhaps other forum members could answer that for you. Maybe take a stab at hand sharpening with a stone.

Timothy Sutton likes this.
  5. Timothy Sutton

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have two stone sharpeners that my grandad used. The one on the left is well used and right is new. I also have one of his honing rods. I guess it just takes time and practice.

Doraemon likes this.
  6. LRex
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

LRex Loaded Pockets

Also depends on the grit of the stone Timothy Sutton I once hand sharpened my knife with a kitchen knife stone. Turned on terrible, wasn't sure what I was doing half way through. For simple clean ups, you can use the ceramic at the bottom of your cup to smooth out the edge.

Doraemon and Timothy Sutton like this.
  7. Cody_2ZZ

Cody_2ZZ Loaded Pockets

The best way to sharpen a knife is with a stone. Get yourself set up with a couple of good stones, a steel, and maybe a leather strop for knives you want to put a really fine edge. Then get to learning how it's all done. It's more of a time and financial investment, but it will pay you back significantly. Also, you might look into a diamond sharpener. They're good for a quick edge. I actually do a lot of my sharpening on a Smith's portable two-sided diamond sharpener.

Timothy Sutton likes this.
  8. farnorthdan
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

farnorthdan Loaded Pockets

Depends on what exactly your trying to do. Are you looking to reprofiling and/or repair damaged edges or are you just looking to maintain the apex. If you are interested in reprofiling my suggestion would be a fixed system like and edge pro apex or wicked edge. If all your trying to do is maintain a factory edge than you can't go wrong with the spyderco sharpmaker.

9. Chris_1001

Chris_1001 Loaded Pockets

Yup, Spyderco Sharp Maker fan here. I tried a bunch of systems from stones to guided systems etc. Sharpmaker is my default sharpening system for all my knives. Easy to use and works.

Gilatabar likes this.
  10. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

Another Spyderco Sharpmaker fan. Been using one a decade or so. On some steels if the bevels aren't right to start with, it can be pain. (ZDP with a bad profile) But for keeping knives pair popping sharp, it's hard to beat for the price. Worth watching the DVD. I would also recommend two more items to go with any sharpening system, a sharpie marker, and a decent magnifying glass or loop. You need to be able to tell what's happening.

Grizz

Doraemon and Gilatabar like this.
  11. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Sharpmaker is my most used system out of the ones I own.

Gilatabar likes this.
  12. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Another endorsement for the Sharpmaker, good for 90% of my sharpening. For really dull edges or reprofiling, though, I have a set of DMT stones that I use to speed the process. Most often I lay them on the Sharpmaker rods for the correct angles.

Gilatabar likes this.
  13. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Not my video, but this is what I do.

It's like 5 or 10 minutes from complaining about your useless blade to having a bald forearm. The only real downside is that it's easy to melt a thin tip and it takes a while and taking off a lot of material to fix it.

ETA: one thing worth noting, the belt sander makes convex edges, which I like. You can touch the blade without immediately cutting yourself, but they're still sharp enough to shave body hair and push cut newspaper.

Gilatabar and Ben Rubinstein like this.
  14. Ben Rubinstein
    • +4 Supporter

I like the sharpmaker but I find it difficult to use the flat sides with curved blades and it's very hard to reprofile with. I have some knives that I just can't get sharp with the sharpmaker. Got a Lansky 5 rod system on the way and green compound, hoping the lansky can become my base system, the sharpmaker for touch ups and then strop for maintenance.

Gilatabar likes this.
  15. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

16. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

This wicked edge sharpeners get good reviews as does the sharpmaker. I am a fan of DMT and all diamond products. Busts through thick shoulders and then polish the edge with a lesser grit. Good stuff. Or wet/dry sandpaper spray glued to a piece of glass. As long as there isn't a recurve, your knife will be sharper than you could imagine.

Gilatabar likes this.
  17. nosuchagency

nosuchagency Loaded Pockets

certainly not the end all be all, but i sure like my lansky a good bit. pretty much bomb-proof if you're concerned about jacking something up.

Gilatabar likes this.
  18. rzrback

rzrback Loaded Pockets

I just opened my lansky tonite. It took an old gerber from butter knife dull to shaving sharp in short order.

Gilatabar likes this.
  19. CardsNation

CardsNation Loaded Pockets

The wicked edge seems like the best sharpener to me. I however do not own one but I hope to one day. A cheaper option if you're looking to reprofile the edge would be the lansky diamond deluxe sharpening system. If you're just looking to maintain the edge then I echo everyone else about getting a sharpmaker. I love mine and use it all the time.

Russ Prechtl likes this.
  20. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

I've got a work sharp, several $100 in japanese water stones, a sharpmaker, plenty of different grit stones (diamond, Arkansas, oil,etc) strops, a lansky, and plenty of others. I primarily use the sharpmaker, with ultrafine & diamond, & in the woods, a speedysharp. If I knew years ago, what I know now, I'd have the wicked edge posted above by Russ Prechtl One day, when funds are there, I'll have one.

Doraemon and Russ Prechtl like this.