1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What's the 1 item that started your EDC?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by ridz, Jul 10, 2013.

1. BarksAtCats
    • In Omnia Paratus

BarksAtCats Loaded Pockets

In 1989 I used a philips head screwdriver all the time at work and carrying a regular sized screwdriver in my pocket was a pain. Then I happened to walk past a Swiss Army Knife display and they had a small (84mm) Tinker. There was my philips head. And it would fit in my pocket! My wife purchased that knife for me (and I still have it) and that started it all (what I would refer to as 'consciously EDCing') for me. :cool:

2. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

quietconundrum EDC Junkie

This thread got me thinking... I wasn't sure how it all happened, because it has been a whirlwind of change. But, after some reflection, it was definitely watching a business that was about 600ft from my front door get burglarized at 2am in the morning — that ignited a transformation within me. I immediately asked myself "ok, bad and/or inconvenient things can happen anytime, anywhere. What (have you done/are you doing) to prepare yourself for that?" That question caused a lot of introspective criticism as to just how unprepared I was for just about everything, not just crime. The ensuing transformation kicked off immediately in this order:

1) purchased home defense Rem 870 tactical and began training with it
    2) research into "preparedness" which led me to the discovery of EDCF (my wallet has wept ever since)
    3) began shopping around and researching methods of non-lethal gear EDC (EDC bags, contents, what's worth carrying, etc)
    3) acquired my CCL and my Sig firearm, began training and still train every 2 weeks
    4) pulled the trigger on my first EDC bag and contents

It has been an evolution ever since (~3 years now)... resulting in the most recent complete rebuild of my EDC bag (just this weekend): http://edcforums.com/threads/the-what-have-you-got-in-the-mail-thread-part-thrice.112374/page-87#post-1908275

So, to answer you question honestly... what was the first item that started my EDC? An obtuse lack of awareness. Acknowledging it and sorting out a remedy was one of the best things I've ever done for myself.

Ironside and MedusaOblongata like this.
  3. GQP

GQP Loaded Pockets

I was going to say pacifier, but that would probably count as my mothers EDC.

My next guess would be around 1980 when I got my first one of these...

[​IMG]

GQkudzu, suburbDad and kd7dvd like this.
  4. cubegleamer

cubegleamer Loaded Pockets

I started collecting pocket knives when I was 10. My dad loved to go the flea market on Sundays and I would buy a new knife whenever I could. I've always carried one with me since then.

5. Tipper_Tom

Tipper_Tom Loaded Pockets

Some Pune bought me a multitool. I've not left it at home since. It kinda sparked my EDC lifestyle

Bad planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Riding the night horse since 2002

She's not leaking oil, she's sweating power.

6. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I know i did reply to this thread yet, so i beg your pardon for a double, but i had been mumbling about this since a while.
    I can't remember well the first item that started me to every day carrying something, i said "a knife", and may be i was right.
    That's probably because i'm getting old.
    At the same time i can't imagine which will be my next one item i will be soon hunting for.
    Not the object in itself or its money's cost btw, but the research of it, the passion, the way to learn how to use it well.
    That's probably why i still feel so young inside, even if i'm getting old, as my sons say.
    Nick

7. Buzzcut

Buzzcut Loaded Pockets

2009, when I became a First Responder and wanted to create a small first aid kit to carry at work. Bought a CountyComm pocket organizer and filled it with nitrile gloves, 4x4s, bandaids, medical scissors, tape, etc.

This led to getting a flashlight, and I discovered the power and utility of LED flashlights. Then I got a nice SAK, then a Leatherman, then...

Today, in spite of having more EDC stuff, I actually carry less. Light, multitool, pen...that generally does it.

8. Agent Berry

Agent Berry Loaded Pockets

Vic Super Tinker after watching Macgyver.

Ironside, Pingodude and Buzzcut like this.
  9. Pingodude

Pingodude Loaded Pockets

I bought a Gerber Shard and thought "this might be useful without taking up too much space". Couple of years later, and my pockets are constantly full.

10. graham hodgson

graham hodgson Loaded Pockets

Monty Python has a lot to answer for. When I was a kid, 50 years ago, there were no baseball caps or other suitable head attire for the very young. In those long hot summers of long ago, the old hanky would at least keep sunstroke at bay. Just kidding! Even then we only wore a knotted hanky for fun.

[​IMG]

Pingodude likes this.
  11. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

I am believe that is a Victorinox Hiker. ;) And there are a folks around here who could probably put it back together for you if you asked.

[​IMG]

12. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

The first item that really got me to carry something EVERY SINGLE DAY would have been my Boy Scout Knife. My original was given away a few years ago to someone starting out in the Scouts, but I found a replacement recently. Prior to this knife I carried an Imperial Hunter fixed blade whenever I could, but it wasn't truly EDC.

[​IMG]

znapschatz, warchild and Lou_G like this.
  13. Ethan459625

Ethan459625 Loaded Pockets

When I was 10, I got a sak classic. Launched my "career"

14. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Like many here, my first EDC item was (probably) a pocket knife when I was 6 or 7. I doubt if it was anything special back then. My dad owned a hardware store and I remember coveting a small folder with light yellow scales that was in the display case. (It was probably a Case.) It showed up for my birthday and I couldn't have been more excited. Not long after that, I started carrying a pair of pliers on my belt virtually every day. Anyone doing the work of a man on the farm needed a pair of pliers and a knife. By the age of 13 or 14 I was expected to do the work of a man.

Too bad we don't have the same expectations for kids today.

Lou_G likes this.
  15. ZEOX

ZEOX Loaded Pockets

First combo... :D

[​IMG]

16. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

My Imperial Schrade Kamp King, purchased at age 12 when I joined the Boy Scouts, was literally and solely my EDC for the next 15 years; camping, school (you could do it then), military and daily life until I gave it to a girl who promptly lost it. A few years ago, a friend familiar with that incident found another KK at a yard sale, got it for $1 and passed it on to me. It looks identical to yours except for the BSA insignia. Frankly, I prefer its SAK replacement, but every once in a while I take it out for some nostalgic fondling. Ah, sweet youth! :bye:

Lou_G and FL Woods Bum like this.