1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What's on your head?!

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Senserazer, Jul 16, 2012.

1. merritt

merritt Loaded Pockets

Thanks to some slightly noticeable thinning hair, I wear a hat nearly every day now. I wear a flat cap or a driver most of the time and then a Titleist cap the rest of the time.

Recently I've been really wanting a crushable wool felt hat. Maybe something like the Stetson Mountain Sky.

[​IMG]

Anyone have any recommendations?

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  2. USMA_Hopeful

USMA_Hopeful Loaded Pockets

Hop on to the google and look for some hat stores in your area. And not just stores that sell ballcaps and the like, but real hat stores that custom make wool and felt hats. If the owner is worth any of his or her salt, they'll be able to help you pick out a hat that matches the shape of your face, looks good and fits your budget. I'm blessed to have a store here it town like this, which has made hats for many movie and tv stars including but not limited to Sam Elliot. I walked in with $150 bucks cash, and walked out with a brand new Biltmore Senator, that they hand shaped to my head, and put an Aussie style brim on it for me, and I still had $35 bucks. This way you'll get a hat that fits your and your personality perfectly, doesn't cost a whole terrible amount, and is uniquely yours.

3. Dave Willis

Dave Willis Loaded Pockets

Stetson Skyline in Chocolate[​IMG]

4. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

A full head of hair.

5. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I just picked up a couple hats from Duluth trading to keep my head warm this winter. I got a black "wooly mammoth" hat and a black Shoreman's fleece hat to replace my old, worn, dirt brown knit hat. In the warmer months, I have a beat up Dale, Jr. ball cap for mowing the lawn and other outdoor work, a bright red Lifeguard hat for pool watching duty, and a US Polo ball cap for when I need a nicer hat.

6. catenate

catenate Loaded Pockets

I wear hats outside year-round. A flat, full brim shields my eyes from the sun (so I don't have to
    pay for and carry prescription sunglasses), and keeps rain and snow off my face (without an umbrella,
    I move better through commuter crowds). I don't really see the point of a Trilby-style stingy brim,
    other than as a fashion statement, since it does neither of these things.

Clockwise from lower right:
    Propper cotton boonie hat (with 30-40' of paracord) while in uniform with scouts in warmer weather;
    Orvis Ecuador straw "Panama" hat, my "sun hat" at home and leisure;
    a more dressy (narrower brim) Orvis Ecuador straw "Panama" hat for commuting to work;
    a blank space for a really nice damaged-and-tossed Orvis straw fedora--brown, with a thick, darker-brown hatband, which got many compliments while flying around the country;
    black Orvis wool fedora, twin to the one in my avatar, which is green in white-light and brown in yellowish-light;
    Henschel wool Traveler fedora, with fold-down ear and neck flap, for cold days in Chicago;
    and PolarSport polyester balaclava, for really cold days in Chicago, which works well under the Traveler with the flap down.

[​IMG]

7. herman30

herman30 Loaded Pockets

I´m wearing the Austrian mountain troops hat with earflaps (folded up on the inside in the photo).

[​IMG]

Cobra 6 Actual and billybag like this.
  8. TeeGeeZee

TeeGeeZee Loaded Pockets

Now winter is finally coming (frost here for the first time yesterday) I'm switching from my 5.11 cap to a merino wool and possum fur beanie.

9. wazu013

wazu013 EDC Junkie!!!

I wear this Browning all straw hat because of the heat down here in Florida. The brim is made of Browning's Repel Tex which is their waxed cotton. Here's a pic of a nice new one.
    [​IMG]

10. resq1192

resq1192 Loaded Pockets

I alternae between a Shipyard Brewing baseball cap, a Tractor Supply Co baseball cap and a blue boonie cover w/paracord added to the brim.

11. vinsanity286

vinsanity286 Loaded Pockets

Made this last winter from a Bulgarian military surplus wool blanket. Its super warm and just refuses to let the snow get my head wet. Along the bottom of the brim it is folded to the inside and I have a loop of paracord sewn in to prevent over stretching. I could lift someone up with this hat if need be haha.

[​IMG]

12. GroundsClown

GroundsClown Loaded Pockets

I switch between a cap & boonie thru out the day. Being in FL with a "high 'n tight", I never leave the house without something covering my head.
    [​IMG]

13. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I just found the perfect "operator's cap" - you know the type, made in the US (typically), no metal, velcro points, and maybe some extras here and there.

On an expensive whim, I bought the generic "operator's hat" from 215 Gear - it was on sale and it looked like a style I'd been wanting to try for a while. And, well, made in the US, so what the heck.

It has the softest forehead band-thingy I've ever felt. A quick adjust to the velcro and it fits my head *perfectly*. It uses ripstop material in the body, so it's lighter than TT's full cotton ones and it has a mesh venting system on the side panels. As much as like the TT cap, the full cotton made it too uncomfortable to wear through warm to moderate temperatures.

My only complaint is the company name across the back adjustment strap - but if the rest of this hat works the way I hope it will, I'm happy to live with it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

Dave,
    great look ! Never been able to pull that offff.

15. Schaferhund

Schaferhund Loaded Pockets

Living in a Smartwool beanie since the temps dropped.

16. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

Cabela's/Polartec watch cap...

[​IMG]

I bought one years ago and loved it. Then I found them in the Bargain Cave for $2 each. I bought 10. One on my head, one in my coat pocket, one in each car, one in my bag...

Cobra 6 Actual and tmedina like this.
  17. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Random question - anyone recall a Viet Nam vet who hand-made boonie hats?

18. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

I believe there use to be a thread on the Kifaru forum.

19. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Cool, thanks for the bread crumb. ;)

20. billybag
    • In Omnia Paratus

billybag Loaded Pockets

Cobra 6 Actual and tmedina like this.