1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Whats on your feet?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by MikeySnyder, Apr 7, 2010.

1. EricV

EricV Loaded Pockets

Headed up to the White Mountains in about an hour so these guys will be getting a workout. But will keep me warm in the -10 to -20 they're predicting...[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melders, malraux72 and twin63 like this.
  2. SeanByrdman

SeanByrdman Loaded Pockets

How do you like those mini mils? One military guy I know loves them, but there seems to be limited content on them round the web

3. ohioan

ohioan Empty Pockets

They're okay. If you are used to minimalist shoes, and have to have a military style boot, they are your only option. They have held up okay, but I don't run in them. I wear them in cold weather with nice thick wool socks. The soles of my feet eventually get cold. But I havent found a better option for zero drop, insulated boots. They are the most weather proof minimalist shoe I own. So if it's raining or snowing, I wear them.

I don't love then like I do my old vibram fiver fingers, but I don't hate them either.

I guess you could say I'm "meh".

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

SeanByrdman likes this.
  4. SeanByrdman

I work out using new balance minimus, and I'll sometimes wear them out and about. I feel like im stuck choosing between the mini mil and merrel moabs

5. ohioan

ohioan Empty Pockets

The moabs descriptions uses the word support a lot. That's not minimalist.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

SeanByrdman likes this.
  6. Mark_Trail

Mark_Trail Loaded Pockets

Business seminar in Tallin, tuned towards semi-casual by wearing my trusty Chuck Taylors for two days

Said Converses also served me well during late night walk thru rainy and wet city. Enough grip and no worries about ruined Oxfords or such

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk

7. SeanByrdman

I'm just more looking for hot weather boots that are good quality. Though if I got mini mils I'd attempt a trail run or two

8. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

Might take a look at Lowa's Elite Desert. They also have the Zephyr desert and Z-6s at more modest price points.

SeanByrdman likes this.
  9. Kravhiker

Kravhiker Loaded Pockets

Nice shoe! What model is it?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

10. SeanByrdman

Thanks! I'll take a gander at them

The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: "What good is it?"
    ― Aldo Leopold

11. Henryhoover

Henryhoover Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

For this mornings dog walk hard to believe they're wellies feel more like slippers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MedusaOblongata and Stormdrane like this.
  12. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Vans Sk8-Hi Pro, absolutely awesome. If you ever liked classic Vans you need to check out the Pro models. They finally have removable insoles and they're super thick and comfy.

[​IMG]

Love that gum rubber sole :inlove:

Stormdrane likes this.
  13. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Loaded Pockets

Yesterday, I wore horsehide engineer boots all day.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Mark_Trail and Stormdrane like this.
  14. dischu

dischu Loaded Pockets

Merrell ....

[​IMG]

Stormdrane likes this.
  15. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I wanted to chime in, I ordered some Lowa Renegade GTX mid boots for $184 on Moose Jaw last night. I'm excited to get them. They won't be for everyday wear, but my exuberance compelled me to share.....just not with my wife. ;)

In fact, I've got a 25% off option (plus about $20 in rebates) that I have $300 of more stuff in my cart that I want to buy yet have only a quasi-need for. I've really become a minimalist so having stuff is more of a pain than a pleasure, yet I'm trying to transition from lots of mid-quality crap to few high quality items.

kikaida likes this.
  16. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

quietconundrum EDC Junkie

It's creeping into Arkansas summer, which means obnoxious humidity and ridiculous temperatures... so ventilated shoes and ultra light socks are a must. My everyday shoes are now Keen Voyageurs w/ Darn Tough no-show ultra light socks. When the weather turns inclement, I switch to Keen Targhee II waterproof shoes.

ArkansasFan30 likes this.
  17. nylaw

nylaw Loaded Pockets

I also wear darn Tough no shows. My only suggestion is instead of ultra light go with lightly padded with tabs or however they call the padding. I have 2 pair of the ultra's and many padded. I don't wear the ultras as they tend to cause the shoe to slip. Best made socks in my experience.

ArkansasFan30 likes this.
  18. ArkansasFan30

Yeah, Ive got a couple different Merrell Moab shoes for summer. They've never worked well for winter, for me, and I just like taller boots. I'm with you though. Another summer of misery is headed this way.

#1758 ArkansasFan30, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  19. ArkansasFan30

My wife bought me some fluffy wool socks at Christmas called People Socks. I think she got them off Amazon. So far, they've been good "summer socks." I've run through some flooded trails (not like dangerously flooded, think "water over my toes"), and they remain comfortable while running. I've only got three pair and need a good summer sock to avoid sweaty feet. I want something for casual and active wear.

20. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

quietconundrum EDC Junkie

Yeah, I was introduced to Darn Tough about a year ago after I complained to my brother about being unable to find a good sock. Smartwool's quality had tanked and Balega discontinued the style I preferred. He is an avid ultra-light backpacker, a daily cyclist, and foot pedestrian in the PNW stress-testing just about every make of sock in an attempt to find a reliable daily option. He settled on Darn Tough long ago and shared his admiration for their ultra-lights and I have to agree with him. I ordered one pair and wore them for a few days and immediately ordered 6 more pairs. While I respect your preference, I've worn the "light" version (thicker/padded ones) and I still prefer the ultra light version. They're exactly what I need out of a summer sock in regards to performance and features.