1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What's milder on skin; Isopropyl Alcohol or Denatured Ethyl Rubbing Alcohol?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by zev, Mar 26, 2010.

1. zev

zev Loaded Pockets

I want to make my own DIY Hand sanitizer spray since the commercial stuff is way expensive. (EX)
    I know the store bought stuff uses 62% Ethyl (not denatured). But that's not easy or cheap to get.

You can buy a bottle of Isopropyl or Denatured Ethyl rubbing alcohol for super cheap. (even cheaper than the link)
    Question is which one would be gentler on the skin? The Denatured Ethyl adds Acetone, Denatonium Benzoate, and Methyl Isobutyl Ketone
    I'm actually planning using this mainly for my feet after I play basketball (TMI?)

Thanks and I realize this is a weird topic. :lolhammer:

2. Simsmac0o

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

Wow, why do you need to disinfect your feet? Why not just take a shower afterward? 0_o

As for the question, I have no idea... But if I wanted to pretend like I did, I would say use Isopropyl, as acetone is a pretty strong chemical; not something I'd want on my hands (or feet :|) on a daily basis.

3. Rich

Rich Loaded Pockets

Any sort of alcohol or acetone based product is going to dry out the natural oils in your skin and could cause cracking that might actually make a bad situation worse.

If you can't take a shower and use soap, consider using diluted hydrogen-peroxide to prevent athletes foot. A clean pair of socks is also critical.

4. icemncmth

icemncmth Loaded Pockets

My wife use to have a real problem with athletes foot. She works out way too much!...

Anyway her doc told her to dilute some bleach in water and everytime she finished showering spray the whole thing down. Then when she was going to shower while the water was getting hot rinse everything. She hasn't had a problem since. As for shoes an easy thing to do is by the crystal kitty litter. Not the clay stuff but the Silica gel stuff. Put some in some pantyhose and tie it off so you can stuff a bag of the silica into each shoe. Leave overnight and this will dry your shoes out. This will greatly reduce athletes foot because the lack of moisture in the shoes.

5. Simsmac0o

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

Ahhh, athletes foot. So that's why. Alcohol is the last thing I'd want on cracked and fungus-infected feet... You do know they have medicated creams for athletes foot, right? ;D Good old Wikipedia also suggests "zinc oxide based diaper rash ointment" or talcum powder to absorb moisture.

6. zev

zev Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the replies guys.

I don't really have hardcore athletes foot. I do end up with stinky feet caused by lingering wetness in my shoes though. So I'll see about the kitty litter idea.

The whole alcohol spray is probably not the best idea I realize. I have been using some axe-type body spray on my feet right after playing which gives a very pleasant cooling sensation. But again I'm cheap so I was looking for a DIY solution. :idiot2:

7. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

GoldBond Medicated foot powder.
    Will keep/make you dry.
    You will probably experience a tingling feeling, it's normal and will subside.

8. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

+1 This will be gentle on your feet and protect them. The last thing you want to do is to dry your skin out too much (as alcohol would do) - that will make them more susceptible to fungus and bacteria.

The crystal kitty litter in pantyhose is also a great idea. If you are having foot odor problems, the bacteria are probably being harbored in your weaty gym shoes, not on your feet. Some tennis shoes can handle a machine wash and air dry every now and then, too.

9. zev

zev Loaded Pockets

10. JPasquini

JPasquini Loaded Pockets

+1 on the GoldBond!

11. Bushman5

Bushman5 Loaded Pockets

a mega +1 for this! it works great.

as for alky and making your own spray.........try witch hazel instead and dilute 50/50 with plain water. Much less drying out of the skin

12. zev

zev Loaded Pockets

OK apparently there's a whole class of products I was unaware of:

[​IMG]

Boot & Glove Dryers

I think the main intention of these is to dry off sky boots but apparently they work great for athletic shoes as well.

13. zev

zev Loaded Pockets

They sell a 4-pronged boot and glove dryer at Harbor Freight for $7.50, which is about 5 times less than you can buy it anywhere else.

Cheaper than kitty litter. :)