1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What's involved in re-configuring a Vic Classic? Updated 2/23! Now has ALOX.

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by OreoGaborio, Jan 20, 2013.

1. OreoGaborio

OreoGaborio Loaded Pockets

Okay, here are both finished products side by side so you can see how I arranged the tools a little differently even though they had nearly identical tool selections.

My first... a "Jettsetting Manicure USB" with limited edition Magnolia scales for the girlfriend.
    I realized later that this tool arrangement prohibits the use of a split ring. She wouldn't be able to fully extend the cuticle tool because the split ring would stop it about 3/4 of the way from full open.
    [​IMG]

And my second... a USB Rambler for the roommate.
    You can see how I arranged the tools differently this time, only opening from two corners of the tool (well, three if you include the USB) to allow the use of a split ring but with this config the blade can close on it if you're not careful.
    [​IMG]

During assembly of each I instincively put the USB in the middle... Suppose I just liked the symetry I got with it there. What I liked MOST about the arrangement of this one was that I had the cutting tools on one side, screwdrivers on the other.

I think if I didn't sandwich the USB between the two tool layers I could arrange it so I'd have the opening symmetry of the Magnolia (opening from all four corners), cutting tools on one side, screwdrivers on the other, still be able to use a split ring AND not worry about the blade snapping down on it...

USB layer on top (or bottom)...
    Scissors/Bottle opener (double thick layer, so it would get the split ring further away from the third layer)...
    Blade/File on bottom (or top)...

If I end up building another one I'll use that layer arrangement, orient the tools so they open on all four corners like the Magnolia and see how I like that. It might just be the ultimate arrangement :)

Last edited by OreoGaborio, Feb 21, 2013
    Brainstorm and Dr. Bahn like this.
  2. OreoGaborio

^ Edited significantly ;)

3. OreoGaborio

HA! A name just popped into my head for the Magnolia... Anyone listen to Queensryche? Jet City Woman? ;)

stax likes this.
  4. rickinFL

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

I made the same mistake on mine and peened it. I like it because it is different than your standard rambler. I think the solution to keep usb in middle is to arrange the springs in the opposite order from the bottom layer. On my next I'd like bottle opener and scissors opposite keyring.

Nice job on yours.

5. OreoGaborio

Thanks, Rick.

Can you elaborate? Cuz I'm not sure you CAN keep the USB in the middle layer of three without the split ring obstructing anything if you use a tool at all 4 corners. I think it'll always block at least 1 tool if it's done that way.

6. rickinFL

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

only a theory. hoping when i get home tonight the post will deliver the parts for a demonstration.

7. rickinFL

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    Excuse the rough drawing. top goes like this. bottom flipped. you are right witn ring clearance but will check tonight.

OreoGaborio likes this.
  8. OreoGaborio

Hmmm, interesting. Still not sure I get it. So would the other side actually be BLANK? I shoulda tried that out for myself just now but I forgot all about this conversation.

9. OreoGaborio

Anyway... Lets keep this train a rollin!

First.... Alox MAXIchamp! :frantic: Sorry guys, I ran outta backsprings! :rofl:

[​IMG]

Then I got serious & assembled a Minichamp ;)

[​IMG]

Another one for good measure. ;)
    (have to grind down the second ring loop on the bottom)

The flatblade has the ruler on the other side, it's not another file.
    [​IMG]

The whole famn damily :)

[​IMG]

On the orange minichamp, I brushed all of the tools with a scuff pad... Here's a couple before & afters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brainstorm, Dr. Bahn and stax like this.
  10. rickinFL

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

Nice. can't wait to see these peened.

11. OreoGaborio

Me too! Gonna have to wait till another day, though. Past my bed time! Need sleep! (I work nights)

12. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Watching and learning:) Thanks for the Pic tutorial:)

13. OreoGaborio

14. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

They don't confiscate it. You "surrender" it in order to pass. Carry a self addressed stamped tyvek envelope. If she/you are stopped, put it in the envelope and drop it in a mailbox (there''s always one somewhere in the terminal)

Almost forgot to say...Awesome Job!

Last edited by amacman, Feb 23, 2013
    stax and SAKplumber like this.
  15. Sharpshooter11000

Sharpshooter11000 Loaded Pockets

When I fly I take a self addressed envelope, it's stupid what airport security perceive as a dangerous weapon!
    Although I have accidentally carried a SAK through security without realizing it myself!

Ludwell01 likes this.
  16. Tegan's Dad
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Tegan's Dad Loaded Pockets

OreoGaborio I'm about to build something incredibly similar, and just found your thread now. Guess my search-fu isn't as good as I thought :(. Sorry for resurrecting an old thread too!

Can you describe how you start the peening process? Here's where I'm a little stuck:
    So you build the stack up on a set of 1/16 brass rods. I assume you have a fixture that gives some space for the rods to sit in on the bottom of the SAK so you can peen the first side? Then do you flip over, trim, and peen the second side?

Brainstorm likes this.
  17. OreoGaborio

I did it in what I'm guessing is a pretty unorthodox way... I took a nail, used a grinder to flatten the tip to a point that was about the diameter of the brass rods, then an engraving bit for my dremel tool to make that flat tip a little concave.

Then it was a matter of trimming the brass rods so there's about 1-2mm of extra length, and using a small hammer, anvil, domed tip nail, and very, very slowly and patiently peening the rods till flush.

I also found that cutting the rods with a cutting wheel so it's nice and flat worked much better than cutting them with pliers.

Wasn't quick & wasn't perfect but it got the job done.

Tegan's Dad likes this.