1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What's involved in re-configuring a Vic Classic? Updated 2/23! Now has ALOX.

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by OreoGaborio, Jan 20, 2013.

1. OreoGaborio

OreoGaborio Loaded Pockets

Looking into the possibility of making my Girlfriend's Vic Classic with Magnolia scales TSA compliant by combining it with some other 58mm VIC to turn it into something like the Jetsetter 1 or 2/Manicure.

You guys got any tips/tricks? All i've got are basic hand tools but there's a Harbor Freight right down the street & I'm always looking for excuses ;) However I'm not so sure how I'd go about riveting it back together in a way where I could snap the scales back on.

Easily done?

Thanks for the help :)

stax likes this.
  2. stax
    • In Omnia Paratus

stax Loaded Pockets

3. Erasergirl

Erasergirl Loaded Pockets

4. OreoGaborio

stax likes this.
  5. stax
    • In Omnia Paratus

stax Loaded Pockets

keep us posted on your progress!

6. crackout

crackout Loaded Pockets

Dissassembly of 58mm SAKS is tricky, because the bushings are so small.
    I tore apart my Midnight Manager to turn it into an Alox Rambler. Worked flawlessly, however I damaged one of the small bushings in the process. So if you intend to rebuild a cellidor model again, you should be careful.

However, you can only use the undamaged bushings from the donor knives (the ones that get punched out and not drilled) to build up your knife. ;)

7. OreoGaborio

By bushings do you mean pivots? Yeah, at 1.5mm they're pretty skinny. I may purchase one more 58mm to experiment with in addition to the Cavalier that's on its way, cuz I don't really wanna mess around too much with any of the ones I've currently got.

Alox (new to me and in pretty good shape, not gonna mess with it)
    Techno Trash (brand new, not gonna mess with it)
    My GF's Mangola (brand new, not gonna mess with it till I know what I'm doing. lol)

I'll be sure to snap a few pix & post the results once I get around to taking on this little project. I'm not expecting anything ground breaking but it'll be a fun little experiment.

Heck, if I'm feeling frisky, maybe I'll go two layers and add a bottle opener ;)

Last edited by OreoGaborio, Jan 21, 2013
  8. stax
    • In Omnia Paratus

stax Loaded Pockets

You should check ebay for small lots of TSA-confiscated vic classics to use as test subjects. You can get several at a decent price.

9. OreoGaborio

Hehe, thanks for the tip.... Already have. Got my eye on a lot of 5 right now ;)

stax likes this.
  10. OreoGaborio

Welp, I dove into it tonight!

Still waiting on a Rover to steal the bottle opener from, but I got to disassembling my girlfriend's Magnolia Classic and a beat up Cavalier.

Started by undressing the Classic and began drilling out the pivots, being very careful not to damage the collets (or whatever they're called)
    [​IMG]

Disassembled Classic next to the naked Cavalier
    [​IMG]

Getting into the Cavalier
    [​IMG]

Checking the tool inventory (Bottom right is actually a ruler, not a nail file). This is where I got really worried because I wasn't sure how the left side vs right side nail nicks would work out once I got it all mocked up... Had to consult SAKWiki to see how other 58mm Vic's were arranged and whether or not the nail nicks were going to pose a problem. I almost thought this project ended before it even began!
    [​IMG]

Arranging the layers. Still waiting on the Rover, remember... so I used a second pair of scissors as a placeholder.
    [​IMG]

Sandwiched!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next to the Magnolia scales.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

SUPER happy with how my first mod is turning out! All that's left is to get my Rover, steal the bottle opener, slap that in there in place of one of the pairs of scissors and delicately rivet it all together again!

One thing I'll do differently if I do one similar for myself, is that I'll go with a bottle opener that has a phillips head on the end instead of the flat. When I was originally planning this out I was thinking there's no way she'll ever need a Phillips so a flat would be more useful as well as more cosmetically pleasing... but once I decided to use the nail file with the screwdriver tip since it looks less like a blade, the flat headed bottle opener becomes redundant. A phillips would be more useful to me.

Then again, the flat ended bottle opener could make a slightly stronger pry bar.

Last edited by OreoGaborio, Jan 29, 2013
    Fukurai, e2dwml, Take2 and 3 others like this.
  11. stax
    • In Omnia Paratus

stax Loaded Pockets

Wasting no time, I see! I like your initiative. Keep up with the pics - I love seeing this stuff. Thanks! So, what will the magnolia classic's final tool set be? File (w/flathead), scissors, bottle opener (w/flathead), blade?

DeepBlue likes this.
  12. OreoGaborio

Nail file w/ flathead, scissors, bottle opener w flathead, cuticle pusher.
    (and of course toothpick & tweezers)

No blade. 1 - She'll never use it. 2 - She travels by air very frequently for work.

13. stax
    • In Omnia Paratus

stax Loaded Pockets

Nice set up (I forgot about the cuticle tool). I think your right, I'd rather have the Rambler style bottle opener with the phillips, but you picked a good tool set for her.

14. OreoGaborio

Thanks! Yeah I think it's a good set for her though I'll be surprised if she uses the thing 3 times in the next year. Lol. This was more about me having some fun, but if I can have some fun & do something nice for her at the same time, that's a winning combo. :p

AK Adventurer and stax like this.
  15. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

I wish more people did in-process picture posts of their SAK mods. :)

Fukurai and stax like this.
  16. OreoGaborio

lol... just talked to my girlfriend. I told her I could put a USB flash drive in it. NOW she's excited! :rofl:

Last edited by OreoGaborio, Jan 29, 2013
    Fukurai, Erasergirl and stax like this.
  17. Erasergirl

Erasergirl Loaded Pockets

now i'm intrigued.....a SAK without a blade...this would definitely defeat the TSA...and would be a much more logical device since i never use the knife anyway.

stax likes this.
  18. stax
    • In Omnia Paratus

stax Loaded Pockets

There are a few production models that are TSA safe. Check out the Victorinox Jetsetter (there are several configurations of this model) and the Wenger Air Traveler. None are as nifty as what OreoGaborio is building, however.

Last edited by stax, Jan 29, 2013
  19. OreoGaborio

Yeah... Unless someone gives me a reason not to, I think I'm gonna order a Slim 2.0.... 8gb for her, orange alox scales for me. lol.

There's no reason why I can't smoosh it all together, is there?

Fukurai and stax like this.
  20. Lone Airedale

Lone Airedale Loaded Pockets

Try not to be too disappointed if and when some TSA goon decides to take it anyway.

Fukurai, Sniperx7 and Quixotica like this.