1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What's in your Spy Capsule?

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by jryan76, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Empty Pockets

Re: So....What's in your Spy Capsule?

I wasn't sure if I should post this in "Other EDC" or "Keychain" because the subject is about something that I EDC on my keychain, but it is not exactly a "tool" either.

I am writing about those tiny machined, anodized, airtight o-ringed aluminum capsules that are sold at outdoor stores, surplus stores, and sometimes drugstores. They range in size from about 1" to a whopping 3" size. The ones that I'm specifically talking about are shaped like cylindrical capsules (rounded ends), but there are variants that are spherical also.

Anyway, they are marketed as "pill containers", and I can imagine all sorts of nefarious drug related used for such a container.

I actually bought a few initially only knowing that they were interesting containers, and only later did I find a great purpose for them. I put one on my keychain, and another as a side pocket zipper pull on my favourite fleece vest. And what do I store in them?? Cash.

After experimenting a bit, I found that a $20 bill, folded in half length-wise, and then rolled up, fit perfectly in the small sized capsule. I chose the $20 because I found that $100 bills and $50 bills were not as readily useable (like some people didn't have enough change).
    What it is, is a stash of "emergency" cash, separate from my wallet. And I was surprised how many times it's come in handy. Sometimes when I'm a few bucks short for a restaurant bill, or I'm out working out in athletic togs and decide I want to buy a drink, or I find myself stranded at an airport and just need cabfare to get to my hotel (and don't want to go searching for an ATM). Whatever the situation, it just gives me a bit of reassurance to know that I have a little back-up cash with me all the time, right on my keyset.

It occurs to me also that TSA has NEVER checked inside this little capsule in all the flying that I do. Hmmm. Disturbing, because I can think of pleny of things that I could have brought on a plane in such a container.

2. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

One of the more creative uses I have seen for the small capsules that we give was as part of fire starting kit. A small hole was drilled in the bottom and a small ferro rod was expoxide to it. Inside the capsule tinder (vaseline soaked cotton ball) was kept. Myself I use it for keeping an emergency twenty with my keys.

3. fishwolf

fishwolf Loaded Pockets

I keep a small fishing and fire kit with some needles and other small goodies in mine.

4. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

New topic ”Keychain Capsule - best uses" has been merged with previous similar topic “So....What's in your Spy Capsule?”.
    :db:
    - bruner

5. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

This thread is great, given me a few extra ideas for when my capsules arrive soon (I hope).

6. gadgetgeek

gadgetgeek Empty Pockets

I will be ordering 2 capsules for EDC in the near future. One will have IB Profin and the other will have $20 bill and some magnesium shavings. Thanks for the ideas!

7. Justinicus

Justinicus Loaded Pockets

Any reason to go with Spectra over Kevlar?

8. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

It is not my intention to hijack this thread, but have any of you bought the EDCF TuffWriter? When I received the pen, I was at work, and popped open the tube and began to examine the pen.

Flash forward 4 months and I was digging through my desk at work and found this sturdy little tube. It's got me thinking: Big Spy Capsule aka Life Capsule. Similar in design to the TAD Life Capsule and the County Comm Tube Vaults.

After looking through this thread, the Idea Wheels are spinnin' my friend!

9. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Empty Pockets

I carry two. One has a day's supply of my Rx meds that I take at lunchtime. The other has ibuprofen

10. calooney

calooney Loaded Pockets

Ibuprofen, Tylenol, Benadryl, Pseudophedrine

11. pyrocord

pyrocord Empty Pockets

benadryl antihistamines

12. thatmguy

thatmguy Empty Pockets

I EDC a pair of the Spy Capsules to carry a days worth of asthma and cardiac pills. They are wrapped in plastic to prevent interaction with the aluminum.

Did have TSA question contents once, but after explanation, all was cool.

I have some larger ones I picked up recently, and am comtemplating what to put in them.

Some great ideas here guys.

Thanks.

13. istari9

istari9 Loaded Pockets

Spare meds in case if emer....

14. tebaratz

tebaratz Empty Pockets

can anyone tell me how to get one of those pill fobs? i'm from the Philippines and i'm building my keychain rig.thanks

15. Enkidu
    • In Omnia Paratus

Enkidu Loaded Pockets

www.goingear.com has a wide selection, mostly Alu ones, Jazebra has SS versions, but most/all are out of stock last time I checked.
    There are some custom made titanium ones around as well, try a search...

And welcome to EDCF!

16. daundu

daundu Empty Pockets

A couple of days worth of medication. It's a really small capsule.

17. bernardo

bernardo Loaded Pockets

My capsule is really small, I just can carry $10.000.- chilean pesos (arround US$20)

18. dozzer

dozzer Loaded Pockets

i carry a £20 note and my daily vitamin tablet for with my lunch :)

19. 177itch

177itch Loaded Pockets

excedrine migraine...

20. Smith28

Smith28 Loaded Pockets

So.. I'm trying to find ideas of what to hide inside my newly acquired spy capsules.. so what's in yours?

Pics would be awesome. ;D

For those who don't know (..?!) a spy capsule is a pill fob / waterproof, bullet-like container.