1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What's in your Shaving Kit or Best Shave!

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by FreestyleAssassin, Aug 1, 2010.

1. sol92258

sol92258 Loaded Pockets

I have been long tempted to order some Lucky Tiger stuff (the after shave is what I see most commented on at The Shave Den and Badger and Blade).

If you want to try a vintage Gillette safety razor, I've got several I'm going to be selling soon, I'll keep you in mind if you're interested.

2. sol92258

sol92258 Loaded Pockets

True, there are latherless shave creams out there too, Cremo Cream and Kiss My Face are the first ones to come to mind, but there are some others too.

Also, if you ever start lathering with a brush and soap/cream, you may not ever go back, it's a wonderful feeling, although it does take a little extra time at the sink, but as great of shaves as I get, it's well worth in to me

3. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

+1 on the shave secret, jag.

On trips,I carry a disposable razor, and this tiny bottle of Shave Secret. It's like an oil.
    I tried it one time on a trip several years ago - darn product won me over.

That little bottle sure lasts a long time, but then again I don't shave every day when I'm out.

Get mine at walmart too - it's not luxurious or anything, but it's tiny, takes up little space in my bag, and works well.

4. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

It's also very economical and environmentally friendly. I use way more than the bottle says to, and it will still last me at least a month of shaving at least every other day. When I finally do throw away the empty bottle, it's a tiny recyclable plastic bottle instead of a big pressurized steel & plastic can.

Personally, I can't get a better shave with anything else I have tried, though, admittedly, I haven't tried any other oils.

5. MSCantrell

MSCantrell Loaded Pockets

Heheh, I've often said the same thing- it just feels so NICE!

I got a Fox (German) straight razor on ebay a few years ago for $12 delivered, because the handle was broken. A drop of superglue fixed it, and now I'm good to go.
    When people complain about the cost of Mach this or Pro that, I point out my $12 razor will last till I die. I don't know if I've converted anyone to straight razor shaving with the economic argument, but it worked for me. :lol

I use a synthetic brush and the only cake of shave soap the walmart carries. I hope for Christmas or birthday one of these years I'll get a badger brush and some fancy soap, but if not, I'll still be content. :)

6. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

7. sjmack

sjmack Loaded Pockets

You can get 'fancy' bars for pretty cheap. I have tried a couple out, I forget from which online store, but if you google around they are easy enough to find.

I also just remembered this... I was at a Whole Foods a while back, and bought some Burts Bees shave creme. It was a straight up creme, but it was actually pretty nice.

8. ?uesto

?uesto Loaded Pockets

I get a fine shave with cheap disposable Gillette razors and Gillette Shaving Cream For Sensitive Skin. If I want 5 o'clock shadow, I just use the lowest level of my electric buzzer. It works best for looking like I don't care about anything, plus my girlfriend prefers that to completely clean face. I can go bald or caveman, quite honestly. I look good no matter what. :)

9. jehan60188

your "cheap" disposable gillettes cost considerably more than safety razor blades. at least consider using real shaving cream, and not "shaving foam" which essentially is just a bunch of chemicals that turn your face in to mush.
    but hey, as long as your girlfriend is happy, it's all good, right?

10. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Has anyone ever tried resharpening a disposable razor?

Here's a link to a youtube video about sharpening a razor on blue jeans.

I couldn't find it, but there is also one about sharpening a razor the same way one your skin!

I'm not saying that these methods work - I haven't tried them, myself.

11. jehan60188

12. sjmack

sjmack Loaded Pockets

I need to buy some more blades soon. I saw 50 feathers on Amazon for 20 bucks... Can't beat that.

13. sol92258

sol92258 Loaded Pockets

it is possible to strop the blades like that, I do that fairly often with my DE and SE blades

14. sol92258

sol92258 Loaded Pockets

there's lots of good deals to find. Feathers are awesome, I've been really, really, really pleased with some Italian Bolzano blades lately.

I also really like the Red Pack Personna blades, 100 for about 15 bucks I believe. Astra Superiors are great too.
    And Shark Super Chromes.

A lot of folks like the Derby and Crystal blades, though I only have 1 specific razor that I can use them with, a '30s Gillette Sheraton, so I don't get many of those

15. modernbeat

modernbeat Loaded Pockets

Just like poster #2, I've just stopped shaving. Though I trim it a lot more than this photo...

[​IMG]

16. Hebily

Hebily Loaded Pockets

I use a Mercur Classic HD (aka Double Edge or Safety Razor), with a pure badger brush. Right now, I'm testing out a bunch of different shave soaps, to see which I like best. So far, it's the buck-fifty puck you can find anywhere - Williams, or Wilson's or something. I think when I get to the Crabtree & Evelyn in the lineup, I'm going to like it better, though. For blades, I can't tell the difference when I'm not looking at them, so I just use the cheapest ones. I do want to try the feathers... haven't gotten around to it yet. Want to try all the soaps with the same brand of blades to be fair.

A thought for the cartridge users: How much does it cost you per week to shave? When I realized what I was paying, it made $50 for a Mercur look cheap.

17. sjmack

sjmack Loaded Pockets

Modernbeat - that beard is awesome. I have had facial hair for three years, but I have never let it get that long.

18. modernbeat

modernbeat Loaded Pockets

I actually grew it out a few more months before trimming it last week. Here's a pic of me and my girlfriend (on the bike) at the Pikes Peak Hillclimb. For some reason tourist were taking pics of me.

[​IMG]

19. sjmack

sjmack Loaded Pockets

How long did it take you to get to that length?

20. sjmack

sjmack Loaded Pockets

I use the same DE. AWESOME company and a quality double edge. You'll love the feathers when you try em.

And yeah, the initial cost is higher, but a lot cheaper in the long run