1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What's in your EDC Notebook??

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by collk88, Dec 20, 2011.

1. collk88

collk88 Empty Pockets

I've noticed the popularity of edc'ing a pocket notebook (moleskine) and recently started carrying one myself as I usually use a full-size spiral notebook to "store" all the things I won't remember by the end of the day...

I'm curious, what do YOU put in your notebook? Is it just a schedule? do you organize it into sections or is it completely randomized thoughts? I understand that some of the information is personal, and I'm not trying to pry, but I'm wondering how to more efficiently use my notebook and gain some ideas. Thanks!

2. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Loaded Pockets

I just write down shopping lists and stuff, basically anything that my rampant ADD will immediately erase from my memory.

3. yellowhammer

yellowhammer Loaded Pockets

I keep day lists of the wildlife I record as well as random jottings. I write up my wildlife records every night on the 'puter so other unrelated notes get either acted-upon or written down somewhere I'm more likely to find them again. My handwriting is pretty poor, so I often have to ask the Mrs what I've written, to her never-ending delight. :laugh:

I've taken to using gridded Moleskine cahiers as they are pretty much the perfect back-pocket notebook for me. I want to try the Field Notes brand but they're hard to find here for sensible money.

4. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

I keep Rhodia/Clairfontaine or Leuchtteurm notebooks with me (got rid of all my moleskines when I realized how crappy they are for fountain pens) and use them to record random cr@p that I need to remind myself about.

For example, this morning my wife FINALLY told me that I am permitted to purchase a handgun (w00t!) *this was the last thing that she held out on!* ;) So, I've been taking notes on different firearms manufacturers, models, ammo size and cost etc in my notebook, so that when I get the chance to go to a store, I can ask intelligent questions.

If I'm working on a project, I will jot notes in my book about the project that I need to remember or remind myself about.

Shopping lists and transient stuff usually gets inputted into my iPhone reminders app.

5. scanchattanooga

scanchattanooga Loaded Pockets

Mostly notes from work - radios I've programmed, notes for work orders I need to remember to write up later, any number of things I will certainly forget before I need to remember them later. I keep a few Rhodia notepads around as well as a Rite in the Rain shirt-pocket size memo book.

6. truaztlan

truaztlan Empty Pockets

I keep a square ruled Moleskine in a saddle back leather cover. I have it devided into two sections. The first is for jotting down phone messages left on my voicemail at work. The other is a chronological date entry system for engineering plan submitals that I have to review and respond to. I also from back cover to front make a record of important conversations that took place, just in case it ever comes up again (CYA).

7. rickinFL

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

18 month moleskine. Everything gets written down. the back pocket is used for the days receipts of purchase.

8. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

My small pocket notepad (a Rhodia no11 at the moment) is for jotting down all the notes and lists I need to remind myself of - addresses, shopping lists, notes to remind me of something later, small pictures to describe whatever I am talking about to friends and so on. nothing important, but just all the useful notes and doodles that you may want during a day.

I do have a larger notepad, which is used mainly for doodling and attempting to draw in in a slightly more serious manner, though is mostly empty at the moment. Currently figuring out setups for a series of photos and other such things which will be drawn out first.

9. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

i use cvs 3x5 notebooks and a maxP 3x5 notebook cover..mostly used to notes at work.. used daily...
    fits in my back pocket and holds pens and buisness card real nice

10. phaserrifle

phaserrifle Loaded Pockets

mines all very random, for example my current (very new) one has:
    a couple of phone numbers, the times of some train tickets I purchased online, a shopping list and some quotes from a book on forensic science that I may well use in an upcoming essay.

to be honest, a lot of the stuff I note down is uni related (like the quotes). If I hear, read or see something that could be useful, I try to note it down, so I can refer back to it, along with the info to reference it if applicable, so I can cite it within work.

11. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

I use 3x5 cards (aka Hipster PDA)carried in my Maxpedition M-2 (partly for protecting my iPod, partly because my workplace doesn't allow shirt pocket carry)
    I use it for completely randomized thoughts, phone numbers, addresses, titles of books I want to read, shopping lists, ideas etc.

12. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Loaded Pockets

/ten char.

Last edited by PinoyBoy, Feb 11, 2014
  13. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Loaded Pockets

Nothing. I use it when I need to leave paper somewhere, like at an accident with a parked car, or giving someone my phone # / email address.

I use my Android phone for notes.

The "notebook" (actually only notebook pages clipped in my wallet) is also kindling and a backup for the phone if they battery ever dies.

14. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm carrying a small spiral book in my bag, but it isn't that often in use. Last year I had a 18 month Moleskine calendar, everything, like road description, phone numbers etc, I wrote down there, now I've a new one from Muji, there isn't much inside, 'cause the calendar isn't that old, but maybe I'm getting another molesikne notebook, either a black, small hardcover or one of these small red ones.

15. kevinhall7

kevinhall7 Empty Pockets

Have to agree with you there: it really is a nasty "gotcha" with Moleskines that unless you write with either a pencil or ballpoint with pretty thick ink, the ink will bleed through to the other side of the page.

As bit of a notepad geek I've ended up with numerous writing materials in my EDC:

Filofax in Maxpedition cover - my all purpose diary/calendar
    Rite in the Rain binder - roughly the same size as the Filofax but for any outdoor notes
    Rite in the Rain notepad - stored inside SpecOps pocket organiser with pens
    Muji A5 pad - for any general scribblings

I have carried around a Tom Bihn Field Notebook but I've reluctantly had to stop using because of its weight/size. The Rite in the Rain loose-leaf is much more field-friendly.

16. Glock 'em down

As a police officer, I am constantly out in the elements - heat, cold, rain, sleet, snow, ice, etc. I'm also having to jot down a lot of notes and info relating to different cases, auto accidents, measurements, victim/suspect info, etc.

On duty, I carry a Rite In The Rain 3x5 F.I. (Field Interview) notepad in a black Maxpedition 3x5 notebook cover in my 511 Tactical pants' right cargo pocket.

[​IMG]

Off duty, I carry a Rite In The Rain 3x5 notebook in desert tan inside a black Maxpedition Micro pocket organizer.

[​IMG]

I also use Fisher Bullet Space pens exclusively...a chrome Fisher Bullet Space pen in my shirt pocket while on duty and a matte black Fisher Bullet Space Pen in the Maxped Micro while off duty. I also use the Pilot G2 series as "backup" pens.

If you've never considered the Rite In The Rain notebooks, here's a vid by Roz that will definitely convince you. :agree:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56MwRxwOjVY

AK Adventurer, Krieger and marcclarke like this.
  17. Funkybassplayer

Funkybassplayer Loaded Pockets

I keep a lil blue moleskin (my "passport" lol) with me while working inthe jail. Helps me keep inmates straight and what they are whining about. Lol. Also contains a 10-code list and a copy of our inmate handbook in the lil back pocket. Sometimes even a dollar for a snickers lol

-BTO-

18. easy76

easy76 Loaded Pockets

I have a Moleskin book that I carry every day.

Broke it down into six different sections. Used Page markers to make the divisions and use for referance.

First section are commonly used formulas, at the ready info, stuff I don't want to forget. It is smaller I think ten pages in this section.

Second section contains office phone list, employee phone list, mini phone book section. Ten pages too

Third section to do lists 20 or 30 pages

Fourth Section brainstorming pages, bright idea pages, 20 or 30 pages

Fifth section yet to be assigned a title, 20 or 30 pages

Sixth section personal notes, 20 or 30 pages

It has been carried since May of this year.

Outer cover is taped to hold it together, inner sections taped also.

19. defjus

defjus Loaded Pockets

On person I always have a Rhodia #11. At only 2.9 x 4.1 inches in size it's super compact and I love the paper quality. I jot down a lot of random things - phone numbers, ideas, addresses, etc.

In my EDC bag, which is a Filson 256, I have a myriad of other notebooks I carry with me. I carry a small Leuchturrm where I record quotations and definitions of new words I come across while reading. I also carry a medium Leuchtturm that serves as a journal of sorts. In addition to that I carry a couple Rhodia #16 pads which are A5 sized. One is a graph pad for general notetaking for projects, etc. And the other is a dotpad that I use for correspondence.

I'm an aspiring writer and future english teacher so I always carry a lot of writing materials with me.

20. gstojinovic

gstojinovic Loaded Pockets

I use a cheapo pocket notebook.

And I have lots in it. Starting with some food recipes (my own), job interview preparations, metal testing results, drawings....

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk