1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What's in your Altoids Tin? (other than mints)

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by MoighonFweeman, Jul 28, 2014.

1. The Sixth Beatle

The Sixth Beatle Loaded Pockets

Careful eating them all. The sugar free ones contain sorbitol which can have a laxative effect. I found out the hard way :(

alessandro.salvi, _mg_ and DIlan like this.
  2. Telstar

Telstar Loaded Pockets

I use an altoid tin for fire starting items.. it remains in my trunk kit

3. The Sixth Beatle

The Sixth Beatle Loaded Pockets

Not an altoids tin, but a mint tin from a well known German cheapo store containing Leatherman style with blade/scissors/tweezers, light, sticking plasters, pain killers, allergy meds, hearing aid batteries, matches, 4 feet of micro paracord (the last 3 sealed inside bits of drinking straw). wrapped outside the tin is a bit of gaffer tape and a bit of electrical tape.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by The Sixth Beatle, Oct 10, 2016
    Tallboyjim, Nick4305 and Treya like this.
  4. mrwrightprice34

mrwrightprice34 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG] use a stitched up piece of boot leather to carry my stuff every day

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Tallboyjim and Water-Rat like this.
  5. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've got a spare Baofeng UV-5R battery in one of mine. Along with a piece of leather on the top and bottom to insulate the terminals, because if the terminals got shorted the Altoids tin would turn into a tingly hand-warmer right quick.

Moshe ben David and WillAdams like this.
  6. wazu013

wazu013 EDC Junkie!!!

Split shot, hooks and jig heads.

7. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I carry one set up as a FAK for VERY minor stuff. Selection bandaids; small packets of ointment; some wipes; Uncle Bill tweezers; fresnel lens magnifier; SAK Classic; some aspirin etc. Keep a ranger band around it partly to ensure it stays closed and partly to make it less likely to slip out of a pocket. Although I seriously doubt that would really happen.

True edc in my lf pocket!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Tallboyjim and Gary Gross like this.
  8. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Worked up an improved version --- it now takes two small screws to use as hinges which seems an improvement --- last refinement will probably be getting the radius for the bend at the top of the cover correct (it's not enough on the outside, and results in a thickened area which has to be filled in when printing).

Guess this is a good example of how my OCD makes me unable to judge what other people would find of interest / use.

9. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I have a lighter, SAK, earphones, nail file, toothpicks and floss harps, spare debit crad with £40 on it, sewing kit, blank cheque and a condom (somewhat optimistically)

The only modification I made to the tin in a bit of electrical tape, just to help secure the lid

Tallboyjim likes this.
  10. Moshe ben David

thegrouch314: I also needed to positively secure the lid on the Altoids FAK I edc in my pocket. I went with a ranger band. Easy enough to make -- just cut a piece of bike inner tube to a suitable width. I picked up a defunct inner tube from a local bike shop for nothing. One advantage of the rubber ranger band -- adds just enough friction so no matter which pocket I have the kit in, less likelihood of the kit slipping out.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

thegrouch314 and WillAdams like this.
  11. mdnitedrftr

mdnitedrftr Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    - 2 rubber bands on the outside
    - LM Squirt ES4
    - Chapstick
    - 4 Aspirin
    - Lighter
    - Nail Clipper
    - 2 Benedryl
    - 2 Imoduim
    - Ziptie
    - 3 Safety Pins
    - Q-Tip
    - 2 Bandaids
    - Duct Tape
    - Wet Wipe
    - Shout Wipe
    - Man Wipe
    - $20

Nick4305, Tallboyjim and Treya like this.
  12. thebruce

thebruce Loaded Pockets

I'd be curious to know what folks have in the tiny Altoids tin box. I don't normally have the larger Altoids tin but I have bought and have several empty smaller ones. Not sure how much you could cram in there but maybe a tiny first aid kit.

13. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

I use mine IN a little kit that I keep very accessible in my backpack. The kit has bandaids and lip balm and cotton swabs and some other basics that I might want and not need a real FAK, as well as spare contacts (I wear dailies). The tin is acetaminophen, antacids, and a spare dose of my daily meds. I also have another one elsewhere in the backpack with mints.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Tallboyjim, fourSAK and Treya like this.
  14. Moshe ben David

I use one of the Altoids Smalls tins to carry my daily meds with me. Put a couple of gauze pads in so the tablets don't rattle around -- which also means they don't grind themselves down and reduce my dosage!

Happy New Year to all y'all!

Moshe ben David

Tallboyjim and fourSAK like this.
  15. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

So Im wanting to put together a SMALL kit to keep in my pocket for some upcoming trips I'll be taking.
    Example: I'll be going back to DC with my school, we're not supposed to have any bags or anything with us during the day and often are away from bus for, pretty much, the entire day.

So I dug up an old Altoids tin from a storage tote with my 'edc' stuff and am wanting to put together a small kit that I can keep with me on the trip.
    I'll be going to various places, and Im treating this like the TSA: No knives, no firestarting.

Ideas?
    Of course I'll do a small, basic FAK...really just a few bandaids and neosporane etc
    But Im thinking of what else I might want to pack in it.
    Sewing kit?
    Wetwipes?
    Mini sharpie

Considering a vic classic that I got for a buck, so IF it were to be tossed during a search I'm not out much. AND it has a pen in it, so that gives me a writing tool too.

Ive done ______-specific tins before (like a firestarting tin, a sewing tin etc),but never an all-around one

I know what it's like to be with kids all of the time, they're always breaking something, getting cut etc - they love to come to Mr. O for help, knowing I have 'tools' (Style PS) that can help them.

Just looking for ideas.

EDIT/ADD - I'll, likely, have my keychain on me, but minimized - will have a Fenix E05 and Brewzer and maybe an old key so it doesnt stand out too much, ditching my car and house key

WillAdams likes this.
  16. fourSAK

fourSAK Loaded Pockets

A few suggestions; some headache pills, a couple hard candies, safety pins and/or needle and thread, bandaids, salt and pepper packets, wipes, CRKT Iota, rubber band, paper clips, tweezers, chapstick.

17. ItsHardToKnow

So Ive added a few things to the line-up, here is where I am so far. But, please, tell me more things if you, or anyone, can think of them!

-First off - in my pockets daily are my wallet and my carmex lip balm, so the chapstick that you recommended is taken care of.
    The carmex container is too tall for the tin...but there is material that could be cut off with my dremel that, I think, would make it short enough to fit if I wanted to get it in there instead. Though having that in my pocket and easier access would be a plus.

-I USUALLY have a Style PS with me, which is a great mini tool with handy, TSA-compliant tools.
    But I do worry about it getting swiped at a security check. Probably wouldnt, but I dont know if I'll take it with me.
    I'll have the E05 with me, and may or may not include the Brewzer. If I choose not to carry it then I could put the Fenix in the tin.

-Im going to put a cheap Vic Classic in there, that'll give me a pair of tweezers and a pen, as well as the tools on it. IF it got taken I'd only be out a buck or two. I can live with that as long as they let me keep the pen, its not easy coming across those little guys.

-Compass might make it in there. About the size of a dime in circumference and 3 or 4 dimes tall (stacked) it takes up little real estate.

-Wet wipes, a few for each day (extras back at the hotel/in my bag). Dont want to be out at the Lincoln Memorial or something and accidentally touch something gross with no way of cleaning it off. They're thin.

-Small nail file. Sometimes you got to do a little filing on something like your nails

-Small sewing kit which including needle, thread, two buttons, and some safety pins.

-Mini-sharpie - they'll write on anything.

-Advil for headache and/or body aches

-two feet(ish) of paracord.

-2 or 3 toothpicks - seriously, you ever had something stuck between your teeth and no way or getting it out. Worst. Day. Ever.

-....?
    Been thinking about a way to utilize the lid into a separate holder for something, maybe using an adhesive-backed magnet to hold some paperclips/safety pins/etc

18. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Imodium - I don't know what it's called in the states. Anti-squirts tablets anyway.

fourSAK and nolaradio like this.
  19. ItsHardToKnow

Pepto tablets etc arent a bad idea!
    I considered the MRE toilet paper: it's folded up pretty small and, man, would I hate to be somewhere and theres no TP lol

fourSAK likes this.
  20. Moshe ben David

sorta got to wonder just how much of that stuff one could carry in an Altoids tin -- and got to admit being cynical that it would be enough to 'do the job'!

Moshe ben David