1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What's going on on England???

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Rev. Chuck, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

Brum only has about 600 public order trained officers on duty. Lots of forces have sent officers to the mass of 16000 to London. Tonight will be worse than last night.

Just spent 4 days in Wolves and it seems we drove back just as it was kicking off. Tried to stop at Halfords on the way out but it was closed at 4pm. Obviously all businesses have shut up in preparation.

brum police has a good twitter feed

birminghamriots2011.tumblr.com has some good info and pics WAY before it gets to the normal media outlets.

Stay safe Nuphoria eh?

edit: Richer Sounds is being looted as we speak!

2. EdB999

EdB999 Loaded Pockets

I'm in south east London, woolwich was looking nicely burnt and trashed this morning. Plenty of videos of it happening on YouTube.
    Lots of false reporting going on as usual, media seem to be fanning the flames on this one (no pun intended)

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

3. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

I just saw a news report that stated on one street, every store on that street, except one, got looted---the exception---a bookstore.

I think that bears out what the above says about folks looting to get things for themselves.

4. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtGkPgeeNng

Just a few PO officers against a mob in my hometown. No reason to riot. Just "because".

Also hearing that there might be trouble inside Winson Green Prison which is a concern as there's no police available to assist if it does kick off.

5. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

It looks like things might be set to get a lot worse in my city tonight. Pre existing racial tensions brought back to the surface by the death of three asians last night, reports of large numbers coming to the city from elsewhere to seek revenge, chain messages going round telling every one to keep off the streets in anticipation of escalations in violence, football hooligans in their hundreds marching on the city centre, police numbers doubled on last night, right wing groups coming to take advantage of the situation.

It could be a very dark night tonight in Birmingham.

6. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

This trend started in Tunisia, swept through the Arab World, and will continue to spread. As long as disenfranchised youth anywhere see no hope for advancement or economic opportunity, they will riot. The best way to stop it is to provide genuine opportunities and meaningful education to young people. If we do not, a Z***** invasion will look like a picnic in comparison.

7. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

This is nothing like the Arab world etc. No economic opportunity and disenfranchised? Well 56% of 18-24 year olds eligible to vote in the last election didn't. They have free health care, free schooling, universal social security and, since this is all apparently organised on Twitter and BBW, smartphones with wireless broadband internet. It's not a lack of economic opportunity, it's a lack of economic ambition. If they want to see what lack of economic opportunity looks like they should take a quick look at East Africa and feel ashamed because there are no riots there.

8. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

The rioting has more to do with a sense of entitlement than a sense of disenfranchisement. They aren't rioting for tangible necessities like food or medicine, or even for less tangible things like equality or better work conditions. They're rioting because they want stuff and they have no respect for other people. The people suffering in this are not the wealthy elite - it's hardworking, everyday business owners.

9. dimeotane

dimeotane Loaded Pockets

Perhaps the people who resort to lawless thug behaviour are people who don't have much to lose. If they are poor maybe this is why they resort to stealing if there's a chance. If the cost of living in London is too high for them, and they have a hard time finding enough work to pay for the cost of living in London, this could be a cause for their anger at 'the system'.

I doubt it's the wealthy affluent of London who are running around wrecking havoc.
    It doesn't excuse the behaviour or make it right, but perhaps there might be something behind this kind of mob behaviour?

10. RiotSnake

RiotSnake Loaded Pockets

I'm getting sick of people trying to justify this sort of behaviour on economic climate, there is a high cost of living in London, that's why i moved out. I took my family out of the area to improve our lives, I am by no means a rich man, i probably have a lot less then most of the people rioting, i don't have a blackberry or an Iphone, i have a two year old Nokia, I don't have a wardrobe full of nike/adidas tracksuits but my kids have nice clothes and a nice house to live in that's what's important to me. 90% of the country are probably a lot worse off now then ever before in there lives but so is most of the world and there is no excuse for the mindless actions by these mindless sheep idiots...

Sorry about the rant, hope most of it makes sense.

RS.

11. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

I think its not a sense of being a certain percentage worse off than some years ago, its a sense of being down a hole with society progressing above you but you see almost no way of getting up to that or taking part in it. I don't know but its a very complex issue that can't be explained in any simple terms, be they criminal, economic, social.

Basically I think that there are tons of contributing factors, there is no one easy explanation for all this. I also think that there's a lot of psychology involved.

12. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I think it is about kids who have been raised to never accept responsibility for their actions. No consequences, and they can do nothing wrong.

13. ScarletPimpernel

ScarletPimpernel Loaded Pockets

All the leftie hand-wringers suggesting, in the media, that the creatures involved have no hope should look to the British Army. Many soldiers come from exactly the same sort of backgrounds, but have made something of themselves.

Just so, and their teachers, the police and others have also had their hands tied, mostly by our previous government.

14. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

Everyone who gave a reason for why its happening is wrong. Partially at least. Its a complex situation with lots of reasons why its happening and there is certainly no single reason.

15. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Looks like alot of people using unrest to steal and destroy other people's property! Don't really care what their reasons are they are criminals like it or not! Wrong is wrong!! They are not trying to change things just steal and destroy! IMHO

16. archer

archer Loaded Pockets

The minute a "shoot to kill onsight" order is issued and executed, all rioters, looters, curfew breakers and generally, all thugs and hooligans will run for the hills or at least stay indoors with their tails between their bums.

A few dead pieces of **** is a very small price to pay to restore order and protect the innocent and their property and protect Democracy.

If their having a hard time getting by, then they should try a new invention it's called "getting a job" and if it's still difficult then "work two jobs".

17. bushidomosquito

bushidomosquito Removed from forum.

If you're so sure that everyone else is wrong then why don't you tell us why you're right?

They did this to themselves. When you disarm your populace and make self defense effectively illegal this is what happens. We have riots here in the U.S. once in a while. They never seem to get off the ground in places that have things like concealed carry and Castle Doctrine laws. Always seems to be the places with no guns allowed.

18. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

The British Government is a bunch of PC apologist thugs. This kind of order would never be given because they believe the public i.e. the voters, could not stomach this kind of action. It would also set a modern day precedent with no turning back.
    Don't get me wrong, when it comes to crime and punishment I'm pretty right wing, but it's a mess that's been created over many many years (?generations even) where the inbuilt moral code of people allows them to act in this manner. Basically, I fel that modern day society is weak, selfish, greedy, lazy and lacking in any ambition other than to have the latest trainers, bling or celebrity status (unearned!)

@bushidomosquito, as far as I recall, the British were never 'armed' in the first place but we have plenty of laws to allow reasonable force in defence of self and property. Yes I'd like a Castle Doctrine, but I can look after my family with what I have at the moment.

19. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

I hope you people are also seeing coverage of what makes me proud to be British:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14456857

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/09/riot-cleanup-campaign-twitter-facebook

The large majority feel this way.... I want my city back to normal. I went in to Birmingham last night for some food and it was a ghost town. There were only 4 other people in the restaurant and they were going to close early due to no trade. The loss of business revenue if hardly going to help the idiots who are causing it. The police closed off all major roads in to the city, buses weren't running and no-one was able to spend their money the way they usually do. Our economy is in enough trouble without this. Perhaps we should take all benefits away from the people who are causing it.

20. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

You may have a point as it seems to be working pretty well in Syria and it was all going well in Libya too until a bunch of spoilsports stopped them. Hardly surprising after the great success in Tiananmen square that others would want to do the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.