1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What's going on on England???

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Rev. Chuck, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rev. Chuck

Rev. Chuck Loaded Pockets

Hope all our members are safe!

2. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

Heard someone on the radio talking about that people were looking for any issue to riot about just so that they could loot.

3. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

It's messed up. Started in London and has broken out where I now live in Birmingham.

Idiots stealing and vandalising things, that's mostly what it boils down to - you heard right Catherine.

4. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Initially a peaceful protest against the shooting (and death) of someone by the police (though whether it was correct or not has yet to be fully determined). That then evolved into a riot later on when more people turned up with the start of the violence and a few cars getting torched and so on. At this point a lot of lawless morons heard there was a riot going on, and joined in for the fun of fighting, smashing stuff up, torching things and using it as cover for rampant theft.

The protest and message of the original peaceful demonstration has now been completely lost to lawless idiots. I very much doubt half of them even know the name of the guy that sparked this, let alone care about anything other than the chance to have some 'fun' causing a scene, maybe steal themselves something nice and fail to care about the fact they have injured many and ruined the homes and livelihoods of many, many more...

Utter, utter scum.

5. NonSenCe

NonSenCe Loaded Pockets

agree on that. stupid lowlives/people just taking advantage of something that happened and just wanted to create a mess. "opportunity makes man a thief"

and sad part is.. that they make havoc on the area they LIVE at ..making the area even worse.. whos gonna fix it better than it was? no one. and as they loot and break things, they make the shopkeepers and other service providers move their services elsewhere.. and they end up having an neighbourhood without anything but burnt up beat up houses and thats it. simply worse than before.

hopefully things will calm down there too soon. and i hope people i know and might know will be allright. (how long it took the riots in france to end? the ones in 2007, they got under control in couple days i think.. but 2005 it took like a month or so? and in 2009. several smaller riots for about week or two.. cant recall anymore)

6. ezeqdb

ezeqdb Loaded Pockets

I heard there are a lot of groups of 12 to 15 years old guys, which start running, breaking and burning things, and then, a lot of people go with them.

The whole idea behind this irrationality seems to be that houses are very expensive, and young people wont be able to buy one in the near future. Am I correct?

7. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Theres NO rationale to ANY of this behaviour.
    Sadly, whenever theres any sort of march or demonstration, theres always a group of hardcore n'er-do-wells who want an excuse to fight the police, destroy, steal & loot things.

These animals are just opportunists & heres hoping that the justice system comes down hard on them (Dont hold your breath, though!). Before long, so-called "Community Leaders" will be on TV saying that the Police escalated the trouble & that the rioters/looters are mostly peaceful demonstrators, but they most definitely are not.

8. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

So far the police has been keeping a distance not wanting to be seen as the bad guys, but if this goes on much longer they wont have any choice but to crack skulls. They are talking about using rubber bullets which im not sure they have used in the country during my lifetime. There is no central reasoning, no organisation to them, its just a whole bunch of dumb *** youths going out, burning stuff and looting for fun.

9. Interlude

Interlude Loaded Pockets

Oh I don't know. Have a lage population with little opportunity and rampid unemployment, and then start cutting social services and see what happens. Does London have a Bastille? ;)

10. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Theres NO rationale to this behaviour.

So, you dont like the fact that services are being cut, youre worried about unemployment, I know, lets go & destroy/burn/loot local businesses in your own neighbourhood.

Come off it!

(Im sorry to hear that some trouble has just started in Salford, Manchester. Just a bunch of lowlives who are spoiling for a fight)

I truly hope some of these animals "get their clocks cleaned" by riot police tonight, and all these heroes throwing stones & bottles will soon crawl back into their hovels when baton rounds are used.

What a bloody shame that water cannon arent authorised for use on the UK mainland.

11. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

The looters aren't looting food, medicine, or necessities - they are looting jewelry and electronics. One policeman said that this isn't an angry mob, it's a greedy mob.

Look at the pictures they've posted of some of these looters. They don't look like people who are desperate to survive - they're just people who are taking what they want. Many of them are young teenagers and some look to be pre-teens!

12. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

The original rational behind the riot was of course the shooting of a suspect by the police.

Now it is rioting out of entertainment and greed. I have heard quotes from some about 'sticking it to the rich man' and other such bollocks - sure, by destroying small independent shops owned by people who are only just making enough to live on at the moment? Leaving people homeless after their flats and houses get burnt down?

They haven't called in water cannons and rubber bullets because we don't have a history of this, and they don't want to show that this riot has gotten worse than anything here before so they want to solve it peacefully... And even if we had the equipment, we lack the training to use it effectively. Well planned London.

13. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Not just London sadly.... chasing their tails all over the place. We've cancelled our night out as going near the city centre is a bad idea.

14. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

I'm going out in my area of the city tonight, I should be safe.

It's not as simple as lawless crims out for a good time. Obviously disregard for rules of civilised society plays a part, but it has a lot to do with young kids from run down areas seeing absolutely no direction in their lives, no aspirations and if they have any, no sense of ability to reach those aspirations.

It's NOT an excuse, but its a hell of a contributing factor.

The only other forum I've seen this discussion on, the rhetoric quickly descended into ultimately blaming ethnic minorities for this. Well it gives me pride to say that in my city, groups/gangs of Muslim and Sikh lads have been reported to be out en masse actively protecting local businesses (particularly in the north of the city)

Tonight I'm off to a Sikh owned (and frequented) pub and a Muslim owned and frequented Sheesha lounge. A good choice I'd say.

15. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Its kicking off in Manchester now.
    Small groups of youths in Salford throwing rocks & setting cars on fire & theyve attacked a Bargain Booze, Lloyds TSB bank & (very bravely!) a Community centre.

In city centre Manchester, windows have been broken at the Arndale Shopping centre & McDonalds on Market St has been attacked, Miss Selfridge (ladies clothing store) on Market st is on fire.

Disgraceful.

16. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I wonder if the police are deciding on tactics with the Olympics in mind.

17. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

have any innocent bystanders been attacked or injured?

18. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

Almost no reports of this. If you look at pictures/videos its big groups of people who probably don't know each other.

I heard reports of muggings in Birmingham last night but the only people likely to be out and about at 1am in town on a night like last night makes me think that it's looters mugging other looters of what they've looted.

19. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

Just heard on the grapevine of lots of cars being torched, joy riders, distinct lack of police presence.

20. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

There are reports of a shooting. Not by police.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.