1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

What's an awesome knife with a blade less than 2 1/2 inches?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by bryan123, Feb 10, 2017.

1. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

:bounce::bounce:
    The riddle is solved... Dragonfly 2 with zdp189 steel and nishijin scales. :playfull::dance::tongue:

Same light weight as FRN Dragonfly, incredible blade steel and very dressy handle scales to boot! It's currently out of stock at Blade HQ however...

Last edited by bryan123, Feb 15, 2017
    #21 bryan123, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    Brainstorm, Water-Rat and Hangman like this.
  2. tyman26

tyman26 Loaded Pockets

Brous silent soldier flipper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. 425KRS

425KRS Loaded Pockets

Just wondering, what is it that you dont like about CTS BD1?

Spyderco makes the Squeak which was a sprint run but you can still find them pretty easily. It has a small 2 inch Elmax blade and titanium scales. It's not a locking folder though, it uses Spydercos SLIPIT which works pretty well. The Spyderco Leafstorm is an awesome knife too, 2.44 inch S30V blade but they are hard to find these days. Another cool knife that just came out is the CRKT Pilar, it's inexpensive ($25) but I am really impressed with it. Nice quality for price, 2.4 inch blade (8cr13mov which I know some dont like). I know it's not exactly what you are looking for, but check it out. Good luck in your search!

4. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Hi, I thought that since I already have a DF2 in VG 10, ctsbd1 would be a step in the wrong direction. I will check out the Pilar. Thanks

5. Appel

Appel Loaded Pockets

bryan123 and Adahn like this.
  6. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Indeed!

[​IMG]

Even though right now it's looking like this ;)

[​IMG]

A bit uglified but now it has a more useful blade ;)

Appel and bryan123 like this.
  7. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@bryan123: just wondering. Did you also look into the Spyderco Pingo? Designed to meet the restrictive knife laws in Denmark. It's a slip joint; so non-locking; plus it is a two handed operation. Pretty nice belly on it for slicing up (say) fruit against a cutting board. Uses a steel out of Italy that seems to get good reviews. I picked one up recently. The steel is hefty yet the blade is very sharp and great for slicing. Blade length 2.35"; thickness 0.110"; steel is N690Co. https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=781

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Brainstorm, sungame and bryan123 like this.
  8. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Hi Moshe,

I looked at the Pingo but I haven't bought one yet because I'm enjoying my DF2 so much.

Right now my knife "collection" if you could call it that, consists of:

DF2 VG-10 FRN
    SAK Cadet
    SAK Super Tinker
    SAK Tinker that I will probably gift to a friend
    2 SAK Classics and a Rover
    Spyderco Bug
    LM PST and Micra

The above are all legal in Boston.

I also have:

Delica VG-10 FRN
    Zancudo D2
    (These two will be my only keepers with blades >2.5")
    Zancudo AUS 8 that I will probably gift to a friend

Since I work in a medical clinic and spend time in cities with 2 1/2 inch blade laws (Boston, Lowell, Lawrence, etc) I think that I'll be purchasing one or perhaps two more <2.5 inch folders, but they'll be very awesome and probably pretty expensive. This will be fun and suggestions are welcome!

Shabbat Shalom,

Dov Ben Yitzchak Yosef

Last edited by bryan123, Feb 17, 2017
    #28 bryan123, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  9. Moshe ben David

@bryan123: WELL.....

if you want to get into something more high end but meeting the city blade laws, maybe you should consider some of the more traditional knives. If you look at the offerings from Case, GEC, etc., you can start seeing some that have Damascus steel, bone and other more exotic scale treatments on the handles. I'm talking about all slip joint knives here. At the expensive end, even just closed they start to get jewel like in much the same manner that more expensive fountain pens do.

Shabbat Shalom!

Moshe ben David

bryan123 likes this.
  10. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

I checked out the knives from Case and GEC. I didn't really see anything that I liked better than my Swiss army knife Cadet. In particular, the Case knives reminded me a little bit of Colonel Littleton knives which is not necessarily a bad thing but not my style.

The one thing that I was never too crazy about with regard to the Swiss Army knives is that they open with fingernail grooves. I'd rather have something like the Spyderco Roadie. Have you ever tried one of these?

I'm also seriously interested in the ultimate Dragonfly 2 with the super ZDP steel and carbon fiber scales.
    Thanks

11. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

This. Knife looks really cool. According to Amazon it has D2 steel and a titanium frame lock. It's blade is 6.4 cm which is a hair over 2 1/2 inches. :bye:

Adahn likes this.
  12. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

The Roadie is an awesome little blade. The blade itself is pretty small, but still very useful. You can open it one handed easily by pinching the blade and pushing against the handle. It has a half-stop, and with the finger choil, it'll only close on your finger, not cut you if the blade gets pushed closed. Someone with medium sized hands can get all four fingers on the handle and your thumb can either sit back on the jimping, or rest farther forward on the spine of the blade for more support. Someone with huge hands might need to have a lanyard on it to provide more grip for their pinky finger though. The Roadie is just a cute little blade and quite handy.

bryan123 likes this.
  13. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Well, the question would be, who would have what reason to check you and how much the'd want to measure against you or with you.
    LEOs sometimes call one hand openers to be gravitational or automatic knives and declare them to be illegal, at other times they don't care about it at all.

The only time anyone asked me about a knife was at an embassy and there even the smallest slipjoint was a nono...
    ...and of course at airports, with the regulations that killed Wenger knives.

14. NelsonIII

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

Can't go wrong with the ZDP Dragonfly...

bryan123 likes this.
  15. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Update:

After doing some research and as a public service (sinc e many of us live in places with crazy knife laws), I am offering the following list of premium EDC knives with blades in the less than 2.5 inch range:

Squeak Titanium Elmax
    Vrango
    Lil Nilakka
    Techno
    Meerkat
    Dice
    Dragonfly 2 ZDP189/ Nishijin

These are my finalists and any comments from owners would be appreciated.

Also, did I miss anything?

Thanks so much

#35 bryan123, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  16. Moshe ben David

Spyderco Pingo. Blade is 2.35". Slipjoint; designed to comply with strict laws in Denmark. Actually a bit heavy blade; profiled looks sorta like a mini chef's knife! Steel out of Italy IIRC. Razor sharp.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

sungame likes this.
  17. Shike

Shike Loaded Pockets

Santa fe knifeworks customized Dragonfly ;)

18. Appel

Appel Loaded Pockets

The tuff mini light by Cold Steel maybe?

Shike likes this.
  19. Shike

Shike Loaded Pockets

20. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Hi Moshe, check out the Nick Shabazz review of the Pingo and let me know what you think. Thanks.